I need a new equipment ASAP!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
I am an offensive player who likes to loop, counter attack, topspin, flick on the forehand and block, chop, flick and hit on the backhand. I recently won a state competition and want to upgrade my racket. I have decided my ply to be Butterfly Viscaria ALC. For forehand i was thinking Rasanter r50 or the upcoming r53 and for backhand Stiga dna pro H. Are the rubbers good? Please recommend good and spinny rubbers which should not exceed 50€? I have an upcoming competition in December, so please reply fast.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
It is cool to change your blade, and I think the Viscaria is the best blade ever made.

But I would continue to use the rubbers you have been using. It is best to only change one thing at a time.

In my experience, and others too, the Viscaria works well with a very wide range of rubbers.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
So you recently won at state level and your immediate reaction is to change equipment. Did you play badly in the state comp?

What would you have done if you had lost, kept your old setup?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
It was a hard win, I did not play upto my prime. I had been using my old equipment for 2 years. My equipment suited me but I was not able to produce more speed and spin. My coach and seniors advised me to change my equipment after my win.
They suggested me viscaria for the blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
New gear WILL improve your level. It will keep you interested in the game and eager to play more!

That being said, I don't see the Viscaria as an improvement over your Clipper, which imo is one of the most balanced designs in table tennis. Keep the blade, change the rubbers.

Rakza 7 is the spiritual successor of Mark V and noticeably faster. Won't hold you down.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
So you recently won at state level and your immediate reaction is to change equipment. Did you play badly in the state comp?

What would you have done if you had lost, kept your old setup?

This really is an excellent post. We are irrational, emotional beings and often we do things that just make no sense.

Reactions: Oliver
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
New gear WILL improve your level. It will keep you interested in the game and eager to play more!

That being said, I don't see the Viscaria as an improvement over your Clipper, which imo is one of the most balanced designs in table tennis. Keep the blade, change the rubbers.

Rakza 7 is the spiritual successor of Mark V and noticeably faster. Won't hold you down.

This is a pretty good recommendation. If you are going to change one thing at a time, start with changing the rubbers. And a change as big as going from Mark V to any modern rubber will be a hard adjustment. Just change the rubbers first and give yourself the time to adjust to the new rubbers.

Based on you using Mark V, I definitely would go with something simple first before something like Rasanter (any version).

Rakza 7 is a decent choice. Aurus (regular version) would also be fine. So would Vega Pro.

Nothing fancier than those as your first modern rubber.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
You guys needs to meet the guy who founded japsko.se. The biggest EJ on this planet who loves to discuss pip geometry, mechnical spin and properties of different woods. The outcome will always be that you can perform slightly better with this or that rubber. The fact that the guy advices several national teams will make it sooooo much easier for you to justify your EJ cravings.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
The OP is REQUIRED to get a new blade.

Rule 20 states that: The correct number of blades to own is n + 1 where n is the number you own now. An exemption can be made for players in committed relationships, in which case the correct number is s-1, where s is the number of blades that causes your spouse or partner to leave you.

Rule 27 merely requires that he needs to be realistic about the eventual result of the obsession.

So BUY THE VISCARIA! BUY IT!
YOU KNOW YOU CAN! .

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
This is a pretty good recommendation. If you are going to change one thing at a time, start with changing the rubbers. And a change as big as going from Mark V to any modern rubber will be a hard adjustment. Just change the rubbers first and give yourself the time to adjust to the new rubbers.

Based on you using Mark V, I definitely would go with something simple first before something like Rasanter (any version).

Rakza 7 is a decent choice. Aurus (regular version) would also be fine. So would Vega Pro.

Nothing fancier than those as your first modern rubber.

Hey Folks,

sorry for hijacking this thread (if i should rather open a new one, please let me know), UpsideDownCarls post just fit a question i have very well.

I'm a 30 year old TT player coming back from a 20 year hiatus. I train twice a week for the second year now. My level is (lower) intermediate, but i'm working on my techinque and it's a lot of fun! :)

But with progess comes dealing with equipment, and the variety of blades and rubbers on the market is overwhelming...

I started with a Stiga Allround Classic (still using this blade) and 2x Andro Shifter in 2,1 mm. The sponges were too thick for my level of play a year ago (plus i didn't like the bouncy feel of Shifter at all i must add), so i went with Sriver 1.7 (BH) and Mark V 1.8 (FH) for my second try.
It worked out well, my technique got better and confidence went up a notch. I played a few rated matches since and TT is even more fun when you start winning... who would have guessed. ;)

Then i used a buddies paddle for a few rallies last week, and since he's a very advanced player, he uses some kind of fast Tensor rubber with rather thick sponge (Acuda S2 i believe?). I know that i won't be able to handle that kind of bat right now in a match situation, but the feel of the thicker sponges and faster rubber was very fun to play. So i'm gradually trying to work towards being able to control a rubber like that.

Now to the actual question:
I'm replacing the Sriver on my BH with another Mark V in 1.8 since i discovered i like the feeling a lot more. Then i'll work on my technique a bit more, but when i'm ready to upgrade my material, would it be better to use Mark V with thicker sponges or move on to Razka 7? If so, what sponge thickness would i get for the faster Razka 7 rubber? All those considerations with regard to improving technique and my overall play long term of course...
Note: i got a used Razka 7 Soft and Tenergy something (not the 05 version) from said buddy to mess around with, and i really liked the Razka. It's just still a bit too fast for now i'm afraid.

Thank's for reading and hopefully answering :)

Greetings
Funkbrother

Last edited:
This user has no status.
So, are you currently using the Allround Classic? Xiom Vega Intro is a nice modern begginner rubber. Better spin than Sriver and Mark V. Yasaka Rigan might make sense too.

If you were a total begginner than I would recommend Vega Intro 2.0 mm, but if you have been training for two years then 2.2mm should not be too fast.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Hi Funkbrother,

With 2 years of continuously play, you should be able to handle modern equipment. The jump from MkV to Rakza 7 is large, but not unreasonable. And Rakza is certainly not excessive by modern standards.

I'd say go ahead and get the Rakza 7 in max, accept that there will be some getting accustomed to.

Don't get the Rakza soft, much bouncier and non-linear. Regular Rakza is more predictable.