I can't put the ball on the table on the beggining of the training session.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Years ago, I used to have something that sounds similar although, truthfully, it would usually only last about 5 min.

For me it felt like it took a while to get ball feel; to get the right touch on contact. I used to do something like this, but slower and more relaxed, to make it so I had ball feel before I started hitting with a person.

5 min of that, for me, back then, made it so I felt the ball well on my strokes and I would start feeling like my touch and ball contact was okay. At a certain point, as my strokes improved, the wildly erratic shots before I was warm thing just went away.

But hitting slower might also be a good idea and may work for you as well.

Last edited:
I had a similar problem when I would train with a robot at home then go to play at a club. There was an adjustment period back to regular play.

This is because of the uniform spin and speed the robot gives you i think.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
I had a similar problem when I would train with a robot at home then go to play at a club. There was an adjustment period back to regular play.

Hi Loopadoop,
I play with a robot more than I play at the club due to shift work . I’m having trouble adjusting to playing in a club environment especially if I haven’t been for a while.
Can you give any tips to make the adjustment easier ?

Thanks.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
Sorry I’ve just read the posts after your initial post . I find the anticipation element that hardest to adjust to as well.

says Aging is a killer
Proper off table warm-up is always necessary. But let's face it, hardly any of us do any. A little hand flashing and a few knee kicks maybe.
One way to get the eye-body coordination and footwork going is to do some chopping from both wings early on in the practice. Try it for 5mins.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Proper off table warm-up is always necessary. But let's face it, hardly any of us do any. A little hand flashing and a few knee kicks maybe.
One way to get the eye-body coordination and footwork going is to do some chopping from both wings early on in the practice. Try it for 5mins.

So true!!! :) I sometimes backfill our league team that mainly consists of juniors (12-15 year olds) and their warmup routine consists of jogging, jumping ropes and all sorts of dynamic stretching not suited for a tired middled aged body. Super professional and it does help especially since I'm foolishly trying to play a chopping game with consist of a lot ball chasing at the back of the court.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Following up with some of my conclusions and results.

I think watch videos do some shadow training and film yourself as well . This will help you.
I think this actually helped me a lot. Watching this:
and shadow training gave me more confidence in my strokes and I have less examples when I straight on hit the ball way too softly. I think that it also loosened up my hands. Another nice side effects is that now I when I am playing in the office balls have enough power so they are rarely blocked.

Another helpful drill I learned on last coached session was placing the ball as close to center of the table as possible while alternating forehand/backhand drive. Apart from building up footwork it also forces you training partner to slow down.

Now after 5-10 minutes I have decent enough consistency and it seems to continue to improve.

Reactions: bricec