I can't put the ball on the table on the beggining of the training session.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
I have a problem every time I start playing. I can't put the ball on the table. Most of the time backhand has too high arc and flies od the table or has no power but a lot of spin and hits the table before the net. When it comes forehand, it lands in the net. But after some time, it magically disappears. Not.gradually. It kinda clicks within me and then I can place the ball wherever i want with supposable the same shots. Sometimes it takes 30 minutes of hitting the ball. Sometimes 1h30. Has anyone experienced something similar?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
That's not really very polite. To be honest I don't drink at all and I am 100% abstinent, so that probably is not a problem. I thought about it for a while now. I think I am not generating enough spin. I guess I will work on repeatability of my brushing contact. Any input is more than welcome.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
It’s about technique and training. I had the same problem before. I have corrected my technique. Well it took more time on FH side but I still have some issues but it’s mostly corrected.

I think watch videos do some shadow training and film yourself as well . This will help you.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
Even though it doesn't take me as long to adjust as what you mentioned I do suffer from something similar for let's say the first 5-10 minutes of practice.

My advice would be to take a step back and not rush. Start with simple, long drives strokes and hit the ball after it's reached its peak bounce. Refrain from increasing speed (hitting the ball later will help with that) and ask your practice partner to do the same. As you feel more comfortable you'll then be able to increase the speed and spin of your strokes.

If you look at the adjusting phase (or sometimes erroneously called "warmup") of professional matches that's actually what they do. They start with fh drives for a few strokes, then one player starts to loop while the other blocks, then they switch, then they do the same for the bh. I'm advocating for basically the same, but with way more strokes in each step and less speed in the beginning, cause let's face it we're not pro players :D

Edit: what other people mentioned about footwork and general body warmup makes total sense as well.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
I sometimes have this issue but I am not a natural sportsman and have to really concentrate to play accurately. I have a player in one of my local teams who did not play all summer but turned up for one training session and played brilliantly. That is annoying!
Recently I was playing friendly games at my club and I was losing and playing some bad shots. A watcher mentioned that I was not moving my legs enough. I tried to move for every shot- even if not really necessary- and the shots went on the table. Presumably I was leaning and bending to hit some shots which is not ideal and once I started moving freely I played well- could this be the reason you start badly?

Reactions: bricec
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 3 reviews
Some people likes to start warm ups very aggressively, some not. I prefer feeling the ball, relaxing muscles first.

When I am playing FH-FH or BH-BH drills out of my tempo, I tend to be too loose or too tense.

What I recommend is, you should start slow. At least request that from your partner to be. That way you will have time to realize how proper technique you have and you will easily correct it.

Remind yourself staying low.

Increase your tempo without loosing control and without messing up your technique.

Sent from Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Is this happening at the same venue, with the same table and balls?.
Balls do change. When I was playing with some dhs balls i got through fast same with donic 40+ training balls. When I am playing with some crappy, weird sounding balls (40mm) it takes especially long to adapt.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
I think it's just normal to not have a good feeling during the first minutes of the session. Maybe if you miss alot you get tense and too conscious and then it continues longer sometimes. A solution may be to do very slow warm up (FH/FH, BH/BH) in order to get good feeling and confidence first

Personally if i play a lot (like several times a week), it takes less time to get my feeling correct

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Playing about 5 years. Training a bit more serious about it, about 3 months.

There is a lot of things it could be, and zeio mentioned an interesting and real case, albeit very unusual. Speaking generally, as one first starts getting serious and trying to use more advanced playing techniques, there is a lot more variability in your level from day to day then there will be later on. And this is likely to show up most at the beginning when your muscles are a bit cold and you are still getting your eyes used to tracking this really fast moving small object.

It comes down to mistiming. One trick is when you are first warming up is to sort of mentally make your backswing the same speed as the ball is coming to you. So if you opponent hits hard, your backswing is faster, if the ball comes slow, your backswing is slower. Bear in mind that this is more about your eyes and ball tracking then it is your actual stroke, but this will help you get everything engaged and working as best as it can as early as possible into your evening (and at the start of a new game if you had to sit down very long between one match and another).

Last edited: