Replacing a handle on your blade. Has anybody tried this method?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
I'm wondering if the following trick would work:
Wrapping the head with a towel or some type of fabric (in order to protect it), leaving the handle "unprotected" and then put it in the microwave for a few seconds.

Would that heat the handle and soften the glue or would destroy the whole blade?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
If the handle is replaced by another handle from another company, will the blade then feels different??
And witch glue should i use to attach the new handle???

says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
Wrapping the head with a towel or some type of fabric (in order to protect it), leaving the handle "unprotected" and then put it in the microwave for a few seconds.

Would that heat the handle and soften the glue or would destroy the whole blade?

You definitely do not know how microwave works.....
But It will not help...

If the handle is replaced by another handle from another company, will the blade then feels different??
And witch glue should i use to attach the new handle???

Timo boll alc and viscaria....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews

If you change anything, the change might in theory be felt.
However if you see how many professional players have grip plates from their sponsors attached to their preferred blade from another company, the problem is obviously small and not much to worry about on amateur level.

As for the glue, try something that makes the process reversible. If for some reason you do not like the new handle, you should be able to change it back using the same method.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Airoc would be glad to see that Der_Echte uses hide glue as glue of choice for such an operation...

..and I would NOT like to see which WITCH GLUE some jokas gunna use, not into that stuff. :D

Depending on the weight, hollow or not, and glue job, the operation could make it much different. It is usually my goal to make it much different, by increasing weight and solidness down low where it is light and hollow and terrible vibrating too much, plus make it whip easier.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews

People have tried to dry off their cats in a microwave and it didn't work very well. I would not attempt the cat dry of the blade handle prep microwave technique. Epic Fail.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Feel like it'd be dishonest if I didn't at least report the latest.

Overall consensus I gathered from the thread was...
- You'd be better served doing it with a heat gun vs boiling.

Of which I tend to agree.

So there I was last night and I don't know why but I apparently was feeling in the mood to try something crazy. Not having a heat gun, I did the boil trick. Word of note here. If I hadn't already made it up in my mind that I'm getting a new blade soon, no way I would have tried this.

So I boiled the handle, popped it off, let it dry and cut/sanded a new shape for my index finger out of a spare wood block I had and wood glued it on.

The boiling definitely faded the colors in the handle and since I was already all aboard the crazy train, I decided to try to stain the handle. Meh. Don't do that.

Frankenstein: Before & after.
Untitled-2.jpg

Outside of being ugly as sin, I had my first hit today and the cliffnotes version is that I like it. I won't bore you all with the details. If curious, check out the "just curious penholders" thread will I'll post more detail.