Rubber suggestions for a Jpen player

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Hi guys,

I have a regular training partner looking for a new rubber.

He is currently using H3 with a ~7.5mm 5-ply walnut blade (sorry don't know the make, but blade doesn't lack power). Plays a compact stroke, counter-driving style. Good consistency, but lacks finishing power.

Looking for something hard to very hard but faster at low-medium impact vs the H3. His strokes are far too small to bring out the top end of H3.

Had him try my Hexer HD and Mantra M. Fast enough, but both are too soft, exact comment was "too flimsy, too mushy, can't feel the ball".

Any suggestions for something hard, direct, but still fast?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
BTW, my guess is the HD and Mantra are already on the hard end of German/Japanese rubbers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Thanks for the suggestions!

Unfortunately, T05 is softer than Mantra which is softer still than the Hexer HD.

Are there anything with a 50 degree+ sponge and hard topsheet?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Xiom omega 7 asia or tour.

Hi Yogi, how do you think the Joola Tango and K1 match to the Omega in terms of hardness? Isn't the Xiom rubber supposed to have a soft topsheet?

Thanks.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I can imagine hard regular rubbers Will work fine. It just feel very soft because he is used to the hurricane. And Maybe he need to work om the technique aswell? Step out more? Use body more? Stop the stroke? Use better placement?

Reactions: lasta
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Thanks guys,

Told him to go and try out the Omega, T05-hard, and Tango Golden. Whatever comes of it is up to him.

About technique? Some people are very stubborn, he's been playing his ultra-compact style for 15 years, a bit set in his ways. We had the same coach, even the coach couldn't get through to him lol.

Reactions: suds79
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I use to play Jpen back in the day. Have played Cpen for years now.

I always felt like I personally spin it better with cpen but the power on Jpen was unmatched. I always joked that it was like hitting the ball with a baseball bat.

Anyways my point is that your friend lacks finishing power with Jpen, I'm thinking it's their technique & stroke. You yourself said they have a consistent, compact stroke. That to me makes sense. Short strokes are good I think for consistency but IMO they also lack power.

Need to have that Chinese style forehand arm extended to maximize power in those situations.

Just a thought off the top of my head.

Side Note: I just stumbled across this translated video featuring Ryu Seung-Min) NICE!)

Anyways, when he smokes that ball talking about his style that works for him, (1:04 in the video) that arm is extended to get the power needed.

No compact stroke there. I haven't seen your friend swing but that's the point I was trying to make.

Last edited:
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
He might want to look into softer rubbers instead if he's looking for more speed at low-medium impacts with a 7.5mm 5-ply walnut blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
This channel is a gold mine by the way with the translations.

Here Ryu is talking about practicing with power among other things.

TT is so different without Jpen players. I miss the era of RSM. The footwork, the FH, the power and the spirit.