Side spin at the pro level?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
I've been watching a lot of competitive pro videos like ITTF tournament matches and noticed that other than serving, there doesn't seem to be a lot of side spin done during rallies whether it's topspin or backspin.

Am I seeing things wrong, and maybe it's just hard to see on video feeds, or do most pros just simply hit pure top/back spins?

I'm a relatively new player and am learning how to receive and deal with side spin right now (it destroys me right now) but was wondering why it's not done more at the highest level.

GOOGLE: KOKI NIWA GOD of CHOP BLOCK. Some of his chop blocks are literally FIZZING with SIDE SPIN...
Other players that come to mind are SIMON GAUZY and MICHAEL MAZE.
I've been watching a lot of competitive pro videos like ITTF tournament matches and noticed that other than serving, there doesn't seem to be a lot of side spin done during rallies whether it's topspin or backspin.

Am I seeing things wrong, and maybe it's just hard to see on video feeds, or do most pros just simply hit pure top/back spins?

I'm a relatively new player and am learning how to receive and deal with side spin right now (it destroys me right now) but was wondering why it's not done more at the highest level.

Last edited:
Reactions: yoass
You should know that when it becomes a topslin rally, it is not common to hit thr ball at the upper right side (right handed) in order to not let the incoming topspin ball fly off your racket. By doing that, there some sort of sidespin in the ball. This becomes more obvious when rallies are on very wide angles.

Reactions: bricec