• Join our newsletter: 
  • Welcome Guest

1. Top | #1
      This user has no status.

TTD Member Country: Austria

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Boosting without using water-based glue?

Is it possible to boost a rubber using non-voc free glue (speed glue)? Water-based glue costs more and I don't want to use the boosted rubber in competitions.

2. Top | #2
      says Ba'al has spoken

Master TTD Member

Reviews
      Read 8 Reviews
      Liked 4,522 Times in 1,841 Posts
      There is no point to it. The effect of speed glue is much greater than you can ever get with booster. This is probably true even with modern rubbers that are not designed for speed glue.

bear in mind though that the effect of speed glue is short acting. you will need to remove the rubbers and re-glue before each time you play.

If you don't want to do that you could boost first and then just use the speed glue to attach the rubber. The thing is though, that TT glues are really not that expensive at all compared to your rubber and blade.

If you want a really cheap speed glue you can add some lighter fluid to rubber cement. It works well.
      Last edited by Baal; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:16 PM.

3. Top | #3
      This user has no status.

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Baal View Post
      There is no point to it. The effect of speed glue is much greater than you can ever get with booster. This is probably true even with modern rubbers that are not designed for speed glue.

bear in mind though that the effect of speed glue is short acting. you will need to remove the rubbers and re-glue before each time you play.

If you don't want to do that you could boost first and then just use the speed glue to attach the rubber. The thing is though, that TT glues are really not that expensive at all compared to your rubber and blade.

If you want a really cheap speed glue you can add some lighter fluid to rubber cement. It works well.
      Is the boosting procedure the same as with water-based glue? I do not want to reglue my rubber before each training session, and why should I pay for more expensive glue if the inexpensive one works just as fine.

4. Top | #4
      says , "the older I get, the
      craftier I become"

Elite TTD Member Country: UK
      Equipment:
      Blade Darker Speed90 + T05; fastest setup known to man
      Forehand Rubber FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05H red
      Backhand Rubber BH: Butterfly Dignics 05 blk

Reviews
      Read 1 Reviews
      Liked 895 Times in 435 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Baal View Post

Baal, careful. Players today refer to the old style non-speed VOC glue as speed glue.
      However, I think he's asking for a speed glue that has no VOC. I don't think that this exists.
      Last edited by Tinykin; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:32 PM.
      My table tennis club in Bristol, England
      http://bristol-cssc-tabletennis.weebly.com/

5. Top | #5
      This user has no status.

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
      I'm asking if the boosting procedure using normal booster (Haifu Seamoon) is the same with speed glue instead of water-based glue.

6. Top | #6
      says Ba'al has spoken

Master TTD Member

Reviews
      Read 8 Reviews
      Liked 4,522 Times in 1,841 Posts
      I would go ahead and do it the same way. It should be fine.

7. Top | #7
      says Krooklyn District Goon Squad
      Commissioner

Equipment Expert
      Super Moderator Country: United States
      Equipment:
      Blade OSP Virtuoso +
      Forehand Rubber BH:Red F-XP
      Backhand Rubber FH:Black M-XP

Reviews
      Read 11 Reviews
      Liked 14,074 Times in 6,707 Posts
      If you are using Chinese rubbers it should be fine. With rubbers like ESN rubbers or Tenergy/Dignics, if you are boosting and using old style glue with VOCs, it could have an impact on how long the rubber lasts and how much the rubber expands when you put it on.

You still could do it. But you may end up with rubbers that end up shrinking a lot as the glue's VOC effect wears off. The kind of sponge in ESN rubbers and Tenergy are very sensitive to the effect of expanding as a result of the solvents (VOCs) in regular old Rubber Cement.
      Last edited by UpSideDownCarl; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:44 PM.
      Spin Everything.

8. The Following User Likes UpSideDownCarl's Post:

Tinykin (3 Weeks Ago)