DHS 301 vs DHS long 5?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Oct 2019
Struggled to find direct comparisons with these two blades so would be interested to see what you guys thought. The 301 is said to be the little brother of the Long 5.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Author of review I linked compared 301 to long 5 which he supposably reviewed prior. So I would call it direct comparison.

Both blades have very similar construction. Main difference is that 301 has koto outer ply and long 5 has outer limba, thus making 301 a tad stiffer.

Edit: also this thread might prove useful: https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/showthread.php?16399-DHS-Hurricane-301

Edit: Hurricane 301 seem to have identical compo to long 5 national:
DHSHurricane Long 5 National (N301)7936.0KotoAyousArylate-Carbon (ALC)AyousArylate-Carbon (ALC)AyousKoto

<tbody>
</tbody>

According to: http://stervinou.net/ttbdb/liste.php

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Anyone know how the HRT Pro (w968 clone) compares with the Long 5?

If the Long 5 is a baby w968, and the HRT is a clone, then would be curious to see which gets closer to the w968. The HRT is roughly the same price as the 301 too (so about half of Long 5).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Anyone know how the HRT Pro (w968 clone) compares with the Long 5?
There is truckload of w968 clones on allie. Based on the photos, some of the seem to be a better quality. That HRT looks a bit rough around the edges (quite literally). I will probably by myself 10$ one and see whatever comes out of this. Worst thing that can happen is that I will have functional blade that has same composition.

says Hi, I am a life-long table tennis enthusiast and...
says Hi, I am a life-long table tennis enthusiast and...
Mar 2014
I bought a HRT Rosewood NCT VII "clone" which had absolutely nothing in common with a real NCT VII. I wouldn't be getting my hopes up.

Reactions: yoass
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Hi guys I’ve just got back from the shop with some food for you. Since you’ve decided to hijack my newbie thread and make it your own. Is there anything else you’d like? Perhaps a few BJ’s while I’m here?

huh??? what do you mean by "hi-jack"? I see alot of informative and useful replies after your op.
Hi guys I’ve just got back from the shop with some food for you. Since you’ve decided to hijack my newbie thread and make it your own. Is there anything else you’d like? Perhaps a few BJ’s while I’m here?

One sec, splasher I’ll be right with you, I’m just putting on my nurses outfit.

You got your nurse outfit on yet Potkettleblack? Anyway, I’ve tried both and yes the h301 is indeed the “little brother” of the ML5. Both are carbon composite blades. H301 is more controllable and not as fast as ML5 but still plenty fast for a casual player. ML5 is very fast and surprisingly controllable for its speed. Also the handle (I’m referring to flared) on the ML5 is bigger even towards the blade head. H301 handle is a bit too small for my preference and my hand cramped a bit when using it. Grip tape would most likely solve that. Also price difference ML5 cost more. I believe it is heavier as well. H301 outer ply is so delicate that sealing is a must unless you don’t mind splintering when changing rubbers. That’s all I can think for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. Price aside would you say that the long 5 is overall a much better blade?

Anytime. If you mean Better in terms of quality then yes, there’s an obvious difference between the two the ML5 I would say is premium quality, the H301’s quality isn’t that bad, just not as well finished as the ML5. As for better in terms of playing it’s for you to decide. Only you can really judge what works for you and what you prefer. If I’d have to pick between the 2 I’d go with the H301 because it’s more controllable for me and plenty fast enough at my skill level. I’ve actually owned and played with the H301 for about 4months and loved it. The gears you mention in your previous post regarding the h301 is correct. Great for push play/flicks over the table and again, fast during looping although the farthest I’ve looped with it is mid distance. I’m sure the ML5 would excel Far from the table. When I tried my club mates ML5 I was really surprised at how fast it was. Too fast for my liking and level. I guess I’m biased towards the H301 it’s a great blade for the price. Hope this helps.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Thanks. I actually went ahead and got a 301 straight handle that is now on eBay. I went to my club last week (as a visit) before I work out logistically how I’m going to get there regularly and I played with my coaches long 5. I’ve always been intimidated by carbon blades, but honestly after using it, it seems my fear was based on cheap carbon blades I’d used. I had a lot of fun with it. He said that providing I use basic Chinese rubbers (neo 3’s on both sides) he sees no issue with me using something like that as a long term blade.

So I now have a 301 brand new abs two rubbers ready to apply. To be clear I’m not an equipment junky despite the nature of my posts - I just like the idea of settling in to something and not have to buy a new blade in a couple of years. I love seeing vets playing with blades they’ve had for years and years and just experimenting with rubbers as their skill/style changes.

Reactions: splasher78
Thanks. I actually went ahead and got a 301 straight handle that is now on eBay. I went to my club last week (as a visit) before I work out logistically how I’m going to get there regularly and I played with my coaches long 5. I’ve always been intimidated by carbon blades, but honestly after using it, it seems my fear was based on cheap carbon blades I’d used. I had a lot of fun with it. He said that providing I use basic Chinese rubbers (neo 3’s on both sides) he sees no issue with me using something like that as a long term blade.

So I now have a 301 brand new abs two rubbers ready to apply. To be clear I’m not an equipment junky despite the nature of my posts - I just like the idea of settling in to something and not have to buy a new blade in a couple of years. I love seeing vets playing with blades they’ve had for years and years and just experimenting with rubbers as their skill/style changes.

No problem at all. If you have coach, that’s the best thing for improvement in my opinion. I’d also just ask him for advice on equipment since he knows how you play and can guide you in the right direction the quickest. You’re lucky you’re not an equipment junkie it gets expensive and hinders progress. I speak from experience. I think the 301 is a great blade especially if your coach recommends it. It’s a blade you can grow with imo. And I Agree with you on seeing really good players using almost complete rubbish for equipment and consistently winning. My coach uses a cell phone for kicks and very few club mates can beat him with there expensive pro setups including me!

*correction, I also agree with seeing guys playing with the same blade and experimenting with different rubbers. It's actually a smart thing to do because then you're able to feel the subtle differences of the rubber /blade combination rather than changing blade and rubbers at once. too many changes make it difficult to tell apart the differences in the performance of "x" blade and "x" rubber.

Reactions: Potkettleblack