Boosting without using water-based glue?

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
There is no point to it. The effect of speed glue is much greater than you can ever get with booster. This is probably true even with modern rubbers that are not designed for speed glue.

bear in mind though that the effect of speed glue is short acting. you will need to remove the rubbers and re-glue before each time you play.

If you don't want to do that you could boost first and then just use the speed glue to attach the rubber. The thing is though, that TT glues are really not that expensive at all compared to your rubber and blade.

If you want a really cheap speed glue you can add some lighter fluid to rubber cement. It works well.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
There is no point to it. The effect of speed glue is much greater than you can ever get with booster. This is probably true even with modern rubbers that are not designed for speed glue.

bear in mind though that the effect of speed glue is short acting. you will need to remove the rubbers and re-glue before each time you play.

If you don't want to do that you could boost first and then just use the speed glue to attach the rubber. The thing is though, that TT glues are really not that expensive at all compared to your rubber and blade.

If you want a really cheap speed glue you can add some lighter fluid to rubber cement. It works well.

Is the boosting procedure the same as with water-based glue? I do not want to reglue my rubber before each training session, and why should I pay for more expensive glue if the inexpensive one works just as fine.

says Aging is a killer

Baal, careful. Players today refer to the old style non-speed VOC glue as speed glue.
However, I think he's asking for a speed glue that has no VOC. I don't think that this exists.

Last edited:
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I would go ahead and do it the same way. It should be fine.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If you are using Chinese rubbers it should be fine. With rubbers like ESN rubbers or Tenergy/Dignics, if you are boosting and using old style glue with VOCs, it could have an impact on how long the rubber lasts and how much the rubber expands when you put it on.

You still could do it. But you may end up with rubbers that end up shrinking a lot as the glue's VOC effect wears off. The kind of sponge in ESN rubbers and Tenergy are very sensitive to the effect of expanding as a result of the solvents (VOCs) in regular old Rubber Cement.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tinykin