Wrist or no wrist in forehand

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
People seriously almost always miss one thing when trying to learn something new ans i wonder if this is a tabletennis thing?

If you want to change the wrist you can not play hard drills or only games or and loop as hard as you are used to. Good luck haha. If you Do that you Will Do What you are used to.

It is like learning a baby Walk in a marathon.

Alot of shadow tabletennis and easy drills in atleast haft you usual speed is the way to go. Of course it need to be so hard so you Do the correct motion.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
I'll say , that if can be consistant with the timing go for it! More wrist more power! For me, i just started to so using wrist for me just throws off my timing . But Im sure as i progress , ill be able to throw in so go wrist action here and there

I'll say , that if can be consistant with the timing go for it! More wrist more power! For me, i just started to so using wrist for me just throws off my timing . But Im sure as i progress , ill be able to throw in so go wrist action here and there

I find that it tends not to work that way. If you are used to not using your wrists, chances are you would not be comfortable just adding wrist into your strokes. It's not like adding another stroke into your game, it fundamentally changes how you think about timing of the contact with the ball on that stroke.

That said, I'm still with the school of, if you already use wrist on your stroke, don't go to the effort of removing it 'for consistency'. If you already don't have much wrist on your stroke don't go to the effort of trying to add it into your stroke 'for more power'.

It's generally not worth the effort changing your stroke, because it's not just the action of the stroke that changes but also the timing. Since you can play a forehand stroke with or without much wrist, you are better off just sticking with what you have wristwise, and just making the stroke overall more consistent/poweful.

Reactions: Baal