Austrian Open 2019 [12-17 November 2019]

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
Also, I was reading the XD Olympics qualifications on the ITTF website and was a little confused.

Mixed Doubles qualification:
*6 Continental Mixed Doubles qualification with a maximum of one (1) pair per NOC
4 World Tour Grand Finals 2019 with a maximum of one (1) pair per NOC
5 World Tour 2020 with a maximum of one (1) pair per NOC
1 Host Country
n=16

*The ITTF and its Continental Federations are responsible for holding Continental qualification events following the general regulations for Olympic Qualification events. The ITTF and its Continental Federations will plan the team qualification events (dates, places and number of athletes to qualify in each tournament) before 31st December 2019, as well as announce the names of the qualified teams after each qualifying event according to the above quota and according to the established timelines. Six (6) teams to be qualified.
Each NOC with a qualified Men’s or Women’s Team will be entitled to nominate two athletes to compete in the singles event.

Am I right to say that the following pairs should have qualified (subject to their association's yes/no)? So far, the official website only states Franziska/Solja as confirmed and no other pairs are listed even though there are at least five other pairs that should have qualified considering it's only one more month to the end of 2019 and I cannot find other continental championships/games before that deadline (31 Dec) anymore.

1 for Africa – All African Games (20-30 Aug) Omar Assar/Dina Meshref
1 for Asia – ATTU Asian Table Tennis Championship (15-22 Sep) Xu Xin/Liu Shiwen
1 for Europe – European Games (22-29 Jun) Patrick Franziska/Petrissa Solja
1 for Latin America 1 for North America 1 for Oceania – Pan-American Table Tennis Championships (3-8 Sep) Zhang Kai/Lily Zhang (NA), Horacio Cifuentes/Camila Arguelles (LA)... unsure about Oceania?

Actually, only the XD event in the European Games is considered a qualification tournament for the XD event in the Olympics. The other continental championships or games played this year don't qualify you for the XD event in the Olympics. Therefore, LSW/XX hasn't qualified for the Olympics yet despite winning the Asian Championships. The same goes for the pairs from Africa, Latin America, North America and Oceania who won their respective continental games or championships.

The other Continental XD Qualification tournaments for the Olympics will still be held next year. You can check out this document for the dates. https://ittf.cdnomega.com/eu/2019/06/Tokyo_2020_Qual_Calendar-1.jpg You can see that the North American XD Qualification tournament is scheduled for March 2020 and the Asian XD Qualification Tournament is in April 2020.

However, I heard from an interview of LSW that she and XX are gunning to qualify via the 2019 Grand Finals so they can start XD preparations as soon as possible. So, the official website isn't wrong in saying that only Franziska/Solja has qualified for the Olympics since the only XD Olympic Qualification event that has been played so far is the European Games.

Reactions: Janard
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
1ITigi8.jpg

eqRISXH.jpg

WYD vs Idol
5:1, 5:2, 6:2, 7:3, 8:3, 8:5, 11:5
1:1, 3:1, 3:2, 9:2, 9:4, 11:4
0:4, 3:4, TO for Idol, 3:5, 4:5, 4:6, 5:6, 5:7, 6:7, 6:8, 8:8, 8:9, 9:9, 9:10(back edge), 9:11. Woah, my Idol on top in the endgame.
2:2, 2:4, 4:4, 4:6, 6:6, 9:6, 9:7, 10:7, 10:8, TO by Li Sun, good call, WYD often loses her focus, 11:8.
1:3, 1:4, 4:4, 4:5, 5:5, 6:5, 6:9, 7:9, 7:10, 8:11
1:1, 1:2, 5:2, 5:4, 7:4, 7:5, 10:5, 10:6, 11:6

d8eGewU.jpg

kG6vzfW.jpg

DTYUSe3.jpg

Much better match by my Idol against WYD than the last time in Hong Kong Open.

But still, a big fat U!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
WYD in my opinion will win in Austria, it was quite good performance by Ishikawa.
I Hope kihara can make some surprise to ZYL

I hope Mima Ito wins it all!

This is already a very successful tournament for Miyuu Kihara. She's in the finals of WD and has made it to R16 at a Platinum event with a good chance to go even further. Well done!

Jan 2018
Big headache for Baba.

XvY6sNt.jpg

Jan 2018
Niwa: Goodbye fist to my sempai.
MiuJNc0.jpg

2o2mhmP.jpg

xNWivwT.jpg

ByyQHTj.jpg

IDLUlRl.jpg

EjTkKeJ.jpg

SJ4wxCv.jpg

xzSn9X0.jpg

UFkQZgw.jpg

G5 was the turning point for Dima, took the next 6 after trailing 3:5.

Last edited:
Jan 2018
Outlook for Hayata:
R16 900 pts - c̶u̶r̶r̶e̶n̶t̶l̶y
QF 1125 pts - S̶H̶W
SF 1465 pts - P̶o̶l̶c̶a̶n̶o̶v̶a̶ ̶o̶r Qian Tianyi

If she could reach the SF here, Hayata will move up to 4th place in the race, overtaking both Kato(-315 pts) and Sato(-365 pts). Sato will take back the 4th place with the T2 Singapore but Kato won't.

SHW getting creamed as if by LSW.
gXls5yu.jpg

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
It always feels like with Harimoto's development that he's one step forward and two step back.. Always looks like he's finally improving only to then see him play like crap in a different match.

If you train a lot of table tennis, even as a tournament playing amateur, you will realize that this is the cycle of life. Fan Zhendong, Ma Long, Xu Xin - the greatest players go through this. Why not 16 year old Harimoto? And honestly, losing to Dima is not a bad thing. Dima is a pretty tough player.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
What I like about Polcanova is that she tends to play well even when she is being beaten. You don't get the impression like when watching other players that she is hopelessly lost. I would have loved to see her play Hayata but Qian will have to do.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
If you train a lot of table tennis, even as a tournament playing amateur, you will realize that this is the cycle of life. Fan Zhendong, Ma Long, Xu Xin - the greatest players go through this. Why not 16 year old Harimoto? And honestly, losing to Dima is not a bad thing. Dima is a pretty tough player.

I see it as Nextlevel. I dont know if you saw another game, but both of them played at quite a high level.