Austrian Open 2019 [12-17 November 2019]

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
As much as i like HAYATA your statement ist just not true. Ito is quite ahead of the other JNT girls. Other then that I think that HIRANO played espacially bad totay. Of course HAYATA punished her, but she was not that amazing either. HAYATA still has a chance to make a run at the austria open, but we should take it round by round. In quarters she has to beat QIAN, which won against no other the LSW. Normally HAYATA is quite solid against defenders, so im quite optimistc about her game against SUH tomorrow.

You're right in saying that Ito is the most successful Japanese woman at the moment, based on results, tactics and skills. By complete, I meant greater versatility (not to be confused with variation which Ito is of course famous for) that generally comes with inverted rubbers, complimented by Hayata's biological advantages and acquired skills (wide arm span/coverage, good power, spin and speed). Perhaps I'm the few who still holds the dated mindset that pimples is a 'limitation' of sorts so despite Ito being a fantastic player, my general opinion is that her colleagues like Hayata, Nagasaki etc. will make it further in the future.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
"My head was completely blank"

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVG4KpQRpA99jZk2hHZT9-Q/community?lb=Ugzkv82Ubi9dtQCST6x4AaABCQ
1Mwz3zQ.png

https://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/tabletennis/news/2019/11/007444.html
敗れた平野は「今日は作戦と言うよりも頭の中が真っ白になってしまって、何も出来なかったです。相手がどうこうというよりも、今までで感じたことがない勝たなきゃとか、考えてなかったんですけど、どこかで考えてたのか、ぜんぜん足も手も動かなくて、相手に負けたというか、自分に負けた感じです。

内容を考えようと思ったんですけど、どこかでポイントとかを考えてしまって、ぜんぜんダメな試合で。いままでにないぐらいダメだったなと思います。

(オリンピックのことは)考えてはないつもりなんですけど、いつものプレーができないので、あまり自分がわからなくなっちゃいます。最近はあんまりいいプレーができず、勝手に固くなっちゃうのでダメだなと思いました。

試合の中で変えようと思っても、気持ちが消極的なので何も変えることができなかったので、ダメでした。この前と同じような負け方というか、個人のワールドカップで固くなって負けて、今回も固くなってしまって負けて。同じ負け方はよくないと思うので、次の試合は同じ負け方をしないようにします」と前を向いた。
Hirano, who was defeated, said, “I couldn't do anything today because my head was completely white rather than a strategy. I thought I had to win something I had never felt before. I didn't have it, but I thought I was losing to myself, because I thought I was thinking somewhere, my legs and hands didn't move, and I lost.

I thought about the contents, but I thought about the points somewhere, and it was a bad game. I think it wasn't as good as ever.

I'm not thinking about the Olympics, but because I can't play as usual, I don't know much about myself. Recently, I couldn't play so well and I thought it would be no good because it would become harder.

Even if I wanted to change it in the game, I couldn't change anything because I was reluctant. It ’s the same way of losing as before, it ’s hard to lose in the individual World Cup, and it ’s harder this time too. I do n’t think I ’ll lose the same way, so I ’ll try not to lose the next game. ”

Last edited:

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Hayata has a more complete game than Ito I believe, so yeah she is one favourite to make the finals. My conservative estimate is ZYL/WYD vs Ito/Hayata, but somehow I have a good feeling about Kihara. Would like to see an upset later today (maybe Nagasaki taught her a trick or two).

I know everyone here is in love with Hayata, but I don't see how you can say she has a more complete game than Ito. How many times has Hayata won the all-Japan? Liking a style doesn't make it more complete or effective than the style you dislike, if the results say otherwise. I mean, they play matches to decide who is better. It isn't necessary to theorize about it.

Reactions: Janard
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Great play from Hayata and Harimoto. I have to praise harimoto espacially! He didnt play that powerful, but didnt make easy mistakes and had great placement. Hayata had some problems receiving, but played well other then that.

Judging from their body language ito and mizutani were still sleeping. maybe Mizutani is still handicaped with his lower back

Jan 2018
HariHina vs MimaJun

G2, 2:6, 8:6, 8:8, 10:8, MimaJun getting destroyed here, 11:8
Harimoto didn't miss much on FH and he stepped around to use his FH a lot. Hayata has definitely manned him up.

G3, 5:4, 5:5, 8:5, 8:7, TO for HariHina, 8:8, Hayata started missing and then Harimoto, 8:11
Could've closed it out. They eased off.

G4, 4:2, 5:2, 5:3, 7:3, 7:4, 9:4, 9:5, 9:7, 10:7, 11:7(side edge)
Mizutani is clearly out of it. Ito doing everything she can.

XFITk1X.jpg

hTQyuKT.jpg

O27XzNz.jpg

YTZo01m.jpg

Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Wow, all the 'established' XD pairs have been ousted – Mizutani/Ito, Lee/Jeon, Lin/Cheng and Wong/Doo. Interestingly, Cho/Shin will be the ones appearing at the WTGF in Dec (Austria Open marks their 4th appearance and they outrank their seniors) and vying for an Olympics spot on behalf of South Korea! Or am I wrong and there are other criteria (apart from placing top 4 at WTGF)?

Jan 2018
Wow, all the 'established' XD pairs have been ousted – Mizutani/Ito, Lee/Jeon, Lin/Cheng and Wong/Doo. Interestingly, Cho/Shin will be the ones appearing at the WTGF in Dec (Austria Open marks their 4th appearance and they outrank their seniors) and vying for an Olympics spot on behalf of South Korea! Or am I wrong and there are other criteria (apart from placing top 4 at WTGF)?

KNT could say no by not confirming. It's in the rules.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
KNT could say no by not confirming. It's in the rules.

Also, I was reading the XD Olympics qualifications on the ITTF website and was a little confused.

Mixed Doubles qualification:
*6 Continental Mixed Doubles qualification with a maximum of one (1) pair per NOC
4 World Tour Grand Finals 2019 with a maximum of one (1) pair per NOC
5 World Tour 2020 with a maximum of one (1) pair per NOC
1 Host Country
n=16

*The ITTF and its Continental Federations are responsible for holding Continental qualification events following the general regulations for Olympic Qualification events. The ITTF and its Continental Federations will plan the team qualification events (dates, places and number of athletes to qualify in each tournament) before 31st December 2019, as well as announce the names of the qualified teams after each qualifying event according to the above quota and according to the established timelines. Six (6) teams to be qualified.
Each NOC with a qualified Men’s or Women’s Team will be entitled to nominate two athletes to compete in the singles event.

Am I right to say that the following pairs should have qualified (subject to their association's yes/no)? So far, the official website only states Franziska/Solja as confirmed and no other pairs are listed even though there are at least five other pairs that should have qualified considering it's only one more month to the end of 2019 and I cannot find other continental championships/games before that deadline (31 Dec) anymore.

1 for Africa – All African Games (20-30 Aug) Omar Assar/Dina Meshref
1 for Asia – ATTU Asian Table Tennis Championship (15-22 Sep) Xu Xin/Liu Shiwen
1 for Europe – European Games (22-29 Jun) Patrick Franziska/Petrissa Solja
1 for Latin America 1 for North America 1 for Oceania – Pan-American Table Tennis Championships (3-8 Sep) Zhang Kai/Lily Zhang (NA), Horacio Cifuentes/Camila Arguelles (LA)... unsure about Oceania?

Jan 2018
WY/ZL vs KasuMiu
8:2, 8:3, 9:3, 9:4, 10:4, 11:5, Am I hallucinating?
2:6, 5:6, 5:7, 6:7, 6:8, 7:8, TO for KasuMiu, 7:11
4:11, that's more like it.
5:11.

Kihara/Nagasaki vs CHJ/YHE
G4, epic save by Nagasaki at 2:3. She can lunge.

Last edited: