Central Vienna clubs

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
I'll be in Vienna Monday to Friday next week, staying on Margaretenstrasse. it's a weird problem for a US player to have, but there are too many clubs nearby. I don't inow how to choose Does anyone have a recommendation where I could roll up and play or train in the evenings? I'm an intermediate player 1900 usatt. I speak no German beyond the most basic, but I don't mind at all not following conversations. Just if it would be a problem for the locals at a group training or whatever having to translate for me. I don't want to be a bad guest. Thanks!

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Dammit losy my post. So I love Vienna but so far it sucks for TT. There are a dozen clubs close to my hotel but I can't play there. At TT Club Wien they said I had to be a member. The boss could let me have a trial day but he was on holiday. At TT Ctr Langegasse you can play for €7/hr but have to bring someone. The people playing when I was there @6pm Tuesday night were not good.

I should call ahead but with no German I feel that is too rude, although everyone here speaks perfect English. Oh well, it's still a nice city, but it's brutal to know TT is being played all around but none for me.

This user has no status.
i would recomend Wat Mariahilf at Liniengasse http://mariahilftt.wat.at/ they have an open day i think. usually you have to be a member to attend a training. i play at https://www.ttc-wpae.at/ it is a bit outside but there are good players. there is an open training on friday evening but you should contact them before.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Last update from Vienna. Last night I succeeded in playing in the Robert Hanak Table Tennis League. Only doubles, but I played singles with my teammates and one opponent between their singles matches. The level in RHTT seems not as high as in regular Vienna league, but I was very happy and grateful for the chance to play.

Tonight I went to WAT Mariahilf. It is a nice club with five tables, very well located for a tourist in 6 bezirk. Unfortunately tonight they had a Vienna Master's comp, so I couldn't play. The club system that we are so jealous of in the US is nice in a way, but alsovery restrictive. There are hundreds of players here and they all go into their small groups and presumably train with the same people over and over.

Your WPAE club looks great. Of course, one has to be a member to play. The better, larger clubs seem to be in the outer districts as in most places. For a resident to commute out would be easy, U6 all the way. Maybe one day I will stay here longer and join. It's an amazing city, the best I have seen.