How to glue rubber to sponge

says Thanks for the suggestion Splasher! I was going to try...
Apr 2019
Hello, I manage to catch the rubber of my new T05 on the same spot a few times and as result, the rubber got detached from the sponge, maybe 5-6 pips are now free and I worry it will get worse. What glue can be used to carefully glue the pips back onto the sponge? I suppose standard TT glue won’t be strong and will also spread inside making a mess.

Any advice?
Thanks!

Apr 2019
Yogi it’s on the outside at 11hours of my forehand where I tend to touch the table when hitting short balls near the net with my BH. I’m just worried that the flappy bit will catch and will keep peeling more andmore that’s why I was wondering if glueing it would help. A long time ago I glued an old cheap rubber with a similar issue using cyanoacrylate glue and I remember the topsheet not sticking at all, one of the very few materials not to stick to that type of glue..
I’ll leave the flappy bit alone then.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
==================================
[SIZE=+1] Composition of Sandwich Rubber (new provision to T4 Leaflet)

■ Under same model name (=brand name), sandwich rubber may have sponge of single type.
■ Within a type, the sponge may only differ in color and thickness.
■ If combined with sponge of another type, having different hardness, density, material, etc.,
the topsheet must be moulded with a new model name and new ITTF number; and the authorisation fees will be charged for each new model name in accordance with the ITTF Equipment Approval Policy (T7 Leaflet)[/SIZE]

===================================

This comment is a blatant violation of Rule 88!

Given what the OP asked at the top of the thread, and the curious non sequitar of this response I suspect also a violation of Rule 83 (You are not allowed to sniff the glue).

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Apr 2019
A man of your wit and culture might like to know that the correct expression is ‘non sequitur’. Misuse of Latin with the intention of sounding educated is also in violation of rule 88, as it is the overuse of the rule 88 itself, and the overuse of the rules at every single opportunity.
:)

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Andre, indeed you are correct, which marks you as one on the Proper Path. I must also beg pardon for my ancient Canaanite accent, which affected my spelling.

Nevertheless the Rules were needed on esthetic grounds if nothing else.

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
==================================
[size=+1] Composition of Sandwich Rubber (new provision to T4 Leaflet)

■ Under same model name (=brand name), sandwich rubber may have sponge of single type.
■ Within a type, the sponge may only differ in color and thickness.
■ If combined with sponge of another type, having different hardness, density, material, etc.,
the topsheet must be moulded with a new model name and new ITTF number; and the authorisation fees will be charged for each new model name in accordance with the ITTF Equipment Approval Policy (T7 Leaflet)[/size]

===================================
FOR INTRODUCTORY PURPOSE ONLY>

For a better explanation, let's see ANDRO Rasanter series:

037 Rasanter R37 In
039 Rasanter R42 In
041 Rasanter R47 In
042 Rasanter R50 In

1) The features to note:
• One rubber topsheet of the same composition (material, pimples geometry, etc.)
• Sponge layer beneath the topsheet comes of 4 different types, with hardness degree of 37º 42º 47º 50º.
Accordingly, each sponge-topsheet combination got designed with a new Modell Name and new Registry Number.

2) Rasanter@ rubber series is meant to be a typical designation of sandwich rubber we propound for adoption on every rubber-applicant looking to gain ITTF approval.
NOTE OF IMPORTANCE: All the unrecognizable sandwich rubbers (complete checklist attached) should be eventually discontinued from retail market.

Thanks.
An expert group in affiliation to ITTF

Last edited:
Apr 2019
Thanks Igorpongers for your very informative replies, I recommend you reply to all other threads as well, ideally with the same very interesting info, I can’t get enough of it. Just when I though I perhaps I started a bit of a futile thread that caused some anger within the circle of the rules holders.. you came to the rescue.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Somewhere buried deep within Igor's quoting of various ITTF technical bulletins (twice now) is some hidden message about how the OP might repair a tear in the edge of the topsheet of his new and expensive rubber. Normally one would simply suggest a glue. (Possibly something like cyanoacrylate, although I have to say that whenever something like that happened to one of my topsheets it generally meant that I would be replacing it a lot sooner than I wanted, pretty much no matter how I tried to repair it).

In response, Igor is quoting revisions to ITTF technical bulletins mainly directed towards manufacturers and the fact that they need to get approval for rubbers as a sponge/topsheet combination and pay the fee for each combo separately.

More surprising is that Igor can travel in time, as his avatar and the associated flag indicate he lives in the Soviet Union, which ceased to exist as such in 1991 (as citizens of places like Estonia and Lithuania can attest). Given that, we need to acknowledge that perhaps there is a deeper meaning to his comment. Not even the gods know for sure.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Not wanting to interrupt this very erudite thread on some of the deeper issues in TT, but I feel, this comment, in spite of hijacking the thread away from its current course, may have some utility:

The glue you use to glue rubber to blade is EXCELLENT at gluing rubber to sponge. WB glue holds much stronger when gluing rubber to rubber, sponge to sponge or rubber to sponge than it ever holds when gluing sponge to wood.

Just use a little and don't worry to much about it since it is not on the part of the rubber where you will hit the ball.

Now back to the subject of what the ITTF says about gluing topsheets to different sponges and why rule 83 is so applicable to that subject matter.

I think the question at the heart of the matter is: who is sniffing all that glue?

Last edited:
Reactions: Andre74 and bricec
Apr 2019
I will test the various glues I already own, starting with usual TT glue as just recommended (perhaps I do have a sniffing addiction) with the cuttings from my new expensive rubber and report my findings on this very important matter, unless this type of research is in violation of some rule in which case I will still do it but keep my important findings to myself :)

Last edited:
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Good luck Andre. I wish long life to your rubber sheets. By the way, 1/2 inch edge tape very much reduces occurence of that kind of damage during play. That is 1.1 cm or so. Gaffers tape from Amazon is awesome for this and dirt cheap.

Last edited:
Apr 2019
Thanks for the advice Baal but you couldn’t be more wrong.
Sadly already use gaffer tape from amazon as you describe, something about it thinking alike. It gives my edge a mellow blue colour that tricks my opponents into a false sense of comfort.
Sadly it did **** all to protect my expensive rubber and at the first (I admit very spectacular, and successful) recovery of a very short ball from far away that was so close to the net, I managed to catch a bit of rubber and probably due to the very gaffer tape I used, the sponge stayed put nicely secured by the tape, and the rubber lifted.
Probably had I put a regular slim useless tape sponsoring a manufacturer, the sponge would have just lifted from the blade as usual, requiring a little easy gluing. There’s always something that doesn’t go as planned despite the efforts

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It is hard to say what might have happened. If the tape wasn't there you could have torn the sponge too. Never can tell.

Still, I like my edge naked. Then my blade can look much more battle worn and I bang up the edges which is going to happen no matter what; at least for me. :)

Apr 2019
Well, the sponge is also a little torn!
I have a very soft blade which I’m a little worried about. I guess I just need to bang it once and proper and damage it and I will get over worrying about it. So far due to my ‘new gear’ overprotective tendency, I have rubbers that overhang a little to protect the blade, a gaffer tape layer over the wood of the width of the wood only, that fills the space created by the overhanging rubbers.. and a 110 mm gaffer tape on the top sitting on gaffer inner layer and sponge. I though I had the blade sorted, was ok for a month until the accident.. I personally hate the look of edge tapes in general but I was mostly worried about destroying the Hinoki layers. I guess the rubber pays the price of overhanging to protect the blade.
Destroying a blade can be a good reason to buy another, but I’m currently very happy with what I play with.
I probably violated a dozen rule with this thread..

Last edited: