The truth about Nets and Edges!!

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I see a lot of players bitch and moan about nets and edges. I agree of a massive misread shot they can be extremely fortunate.

However, if you are a brave player (like me) with your positioning of the ball, I play wide and long when I can you are going to get edges. I get a lot of edges. But I do not play like a pussy hitting all my shots down the middle of the table, I am brave in my ball placement, when I get an edge it is often because I have been accurate and played on the lines, in tennis this gets applauded.
I use short pimples, but this applies to all players anyway, when returning serves and not playing attacking shots (and sometimes when attacking too) one of the important things is to keep the ball low, so it can not be whacked. So if you are trying to keep the ball low it is inevitable you will get nets.

So one could argue that brave and accurate players get lots of nets and edges.

Although we all know long pimple players are rubbish and get lucky nets all the time, and have very limited ability in general. Pimple W***ERS!

This user has no status.
Yup, although I do enjoy etiquette, apologise when I get nets and edges and appreciate when the opponent does the same, I do consider them absolutely part of the game. You won a point because of an edge? Good for you. Matter of fact I actually train for that by always trying to get the ball nonetheless even during practice.

I might get slightly annoyed when said edge is the result of the opponent shooting in the dark 3m high and it touches the edge of the table but well... that's also part of the game :)

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Sometimes I aim for the middle of the table.

I play with a player who just whacks everything down the middle, when you knock with them the ball goes all over the place, he cant put it in the same place for 3 or 4 shots.

To me he is lucky, he just blasts down the middle and the ball goes all over the place!

This user has no status.
It's for me about the intention.
No one cheers for nets in tennis. And edges don't exist. We get shots on the white lines that don't edge and they're fantastic shots.

It's all about the fact that you tried to play one shot and in turn it changed to a different spin length or direction that the opponent did not have time to react to. I personally appreciate the apology but I will say "no good shot" if it was fairly close to the original or I wouldn't have ever got it anyway.

I agree with you pimple and anti as well as flat hitters tend to get more edges and nets. I would suggest that if people get too angry about that they need to relax a bit, it's part of the game and predictable.

Sorry. I actually am when my opponent makes such an unforced error.

Haha, this is why I try not to actually say anything when apologising in a match.

A wry smile and a hand up, and let them interpret from the context. So I don't end up doing something that doesn't make sense like apologising for their error.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
The Table Tennis Gods have passed their judgement.

Supplement 8.

Ba'al has spoken.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I don't know. I find this a bit flimsy. If you spin the ball well, you can get a decently high arc and never come near the net and if you spin the ball well you can choose to land the ball close to the net or close to the end line.

Having that control allows you to create wider angles because to create a wide angle you need to be able to land the ball close to the net without hitting the net. That requires a good arc on the ball.

At the highest levels, I don't see too many players who get a lot of nets and edges. It is kind of rare. So I am not sure I would associate getting a lot of nets and edges with anything too too positive.

Last edited: