The truth about Nets and Edges!!

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
On the other hand perceiving gratuitous apologies as a crime is a violation of Rule 6.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
i totally agree with OP.
also its possible to get back 90% of net balls. Edges are much more difficult to get back though

this is part of the game, and the player which is the most agressive with placement and spin will have the most edges and nets in his favour
99% ? Have you done a statistical analysis to come up with this figure?

This user has no status.
99% ? Have you done a statistical analysis to come up with this figure?
I don’t know about percentages, but I’ve seen significant improvements in my abilities at catching net balls since I started reaching out for them during every practice drill to the point where I’d say unless I’m out of position I can usually recover them (even though I would usually offer a weak ball in return so far)

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
On the other hand perceiving gratuitous apologies as a crime is a violation of Rule 6.

can they just not accept it that it is other people's culture to apologize and not bash the practice?

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
can they just not accept it that it is other people's culture to apologize and not bash the practice?

No. Ba'al has spoken.

But they are required to be tough enough to ignore such pointless attempts at distraction, and serve the damned ball ( no more than three bounces beforehand).

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Yes Loerting but because you are one who obeys Rule 6 and are therefore harder than steel, both mentally and physically, you simply laugh at such pitiful attempts at distraction. You get on with the business of annihilating such barbarians even if you did gift them a point on a serve. After all, that happens.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
All I know is that the TT gods don't like me. My opponent almost always gets more nets and edges than I do. Often it happens I have just made a good shot and the opponent is should be lucky to just get close but instead it hits the net a dribbles over. This happens to me a lot with my back spin serves.

My top spins will hit the top of the net and bounce long.

Don't tell me that it all breaks even in the end. I know it doesn't.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
All I know is that the TT gods don't like me. My opponent almost always gets more nets and edges than I do. Often it happens I have just made a good shot and the opponent is should be lucky to just get close but instead it hits the net a dribbles over. This happens to me a lot with my back spin serves.

This does indeed sound like you have angered the Table Tennis Gods. Are you obeying The Rules? Are your socks too high or (!!!!) black? Are you sweating on the table? Are you an amateur player who chos? Have you meditated on the nothingness of Rule 88?

If you Obey the Rules (all of them!), and have even taken the trouble to learn to swear in Swedish or Magyar language, then perhaps a burnt offering is necessary. Sacrifice one of your blades to the gods. Of course after that you will need to buy another one or two. Because N + 1.

The burnt offering is best done outdoors.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

This does indeed sound like you have angered the Table Tennis Gods. Are you obeying The Rules? Are your socks too high or (!!!!) black? Are you sweating on the table? Are you an amateur player who chos? Have you meditated on the nothingness of Rule 88?

If you Obey the Rules (all of them!), and have even taken the trouble to learn to swear in Swedish or Magyar language, then perhaps a burnt offering is necessary. Sacrifice one of your blades to the gods. Of course after that you will need to buy another one or two. Because N + 1.

The burnt offering is best done outdoors.

I think rule 51 may apply here. That may be where the problem lies.

Reactions: Baal
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
We can only hope that Carl is incorrect about this, as a violation of Rule 51 is an especially grave transgression abhored by the Gods. I don't know brokenball's TT level, but perhaps he could find an aerospace engineering PhD program in China next door to a TT academy where he could get his level to 2300.

Otherwise he may need to sacrifice two blades to eternal flame.

Of course that would be a good reason to get a couple new ones, maybe ZLC this time...

Last edited:

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Maybe he should burn a zlc blade. And post video, bc it would be cool to see how that stuff burns.

Plus when you sacrifice it is supposed to be a *fatted* calf, not a scrawny five-ply calf that wasn't going to make it through the winter anyway.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Maybe he should burn a zlc blade. And post video, bc it would be cool to see how that stuff burns.

Plus when you sacrifice it is supposed to be a *fatted* calf, not a scrawny five-ply calf that wasn't going to make it through the winter anyway.

Brs has achieved an impressive level of enlightenment. Indeed, the Table Tennis Gods would find the spectacle of a flaming ZLC blade pleasing, and posting such a video here would most certainly solve brokenball's net/edge problem, and probably go so far as to strike fear into the hearts of his future opponents who would then be subjected themselves to veritable blizzards of edge balls (when the score is 10-9).

The recommended procedure would be to include some old cellulose balls in the mixture with gasoline (petrol), and no cheap fake blades from Aliexpress either.

Ba'al has spoken.

--------------------------------------

I should add as an edit that Carl raised the possibility that brokenball has violated Rule 51, which would be a truly terrifying allegation -- if it was true. However, I prefer to think the best of TTD members such as brokenball, and should hasten to point out that it could instead be a violation of Rule 44. You are not allowed to subject your playing partners to crappy balls. Buy new ones when the old ones are no longer round or if the surface has lost all friction.

TTD members can see how that would make a great deal of sense -- accompanied of course with a violation of Rule 6 (Harden the f^^k up) for even even daring to mention the nets and edges his opponents get.

Either way the correct remedy is the same and was indicated by Brs and in my earlier comments.

Ba'al has spoken again.

Last edited:
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Some might argue that lighting blades on fire and posting the resulting videos here would be stupid and it would be better to donate the blades to promising children in need. To which I would reply,

what is the fun in that? What would you rather see?