Moristo SP Vs Moristo SP AX

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Hi

Need you comments and feedback about the two rubbers.. i have moristo sp and planning to have moristo sp ax but i want to know if it's worth it.

Which is better?

Thanks

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
What thickness do you prefer? Compared to inverted rubber will you still see big difference on playing the Moristo Sp AX? Or less adjustments is all that is needed

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
If you want more or less grip or What thickness is more up to how you play, not other peoples preferences.

More block, variation, deception and good return go for the one with less grip or and thinner sponge.

If you want to kill the ball more, But with less variation and deception, not as good return, better not as weak/much better at opening against backspin go for more grip or and thicker sponge.

With thinner sponge you feel the ball leaves fast at your side bur slower down considered before it comes to the opponent.

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I have been using Spectol Red for 12 months, today I tried for a training session SP AX as I have not been happy with my control and consistency with Spectol Red.
It feels very much as Patrick describes, grippier and softer I feel. I thought if felt a bit slower on drives, which I think will be good. Felt more controlled, lot easier on pushes and serve returns.
I am going to try and use for a few months, before I finally accept defeat and become a (LP) pimple w***er!!

Last edited:

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
I am a regular Moristo user for about 18 months and bought a sheet of SP AX based on Patrick's review. BLUF: I took off the AX after two weeks and gave it away. I was overjoyed to go back to plain Moristo.

These are quite different rubbers. The pip alignment on AX is horizontal, plain SP is vertical. With the AX you can play inverted strokes and make decent spin. My coach and training partner said I should keep it for this reason. The downside is I was basically playing with a crappy inverted. All the nastiness of SP was lost. I felt less control, hits were not as effective, and blocks were *very much less* trouble for my opponents.

Patrick is a far more accomplished player than me in rating and SP experience. But I am a decent 1900+ usatt player with quite a bit of time in using SP. Your results may depend on whether you are closer in SP level to me or to him.

All I can say is I hated the Moristo AX. It felt bad, I played worse, and didn't enjoy anything it did. That may be because I love the normal Moristo SP so much, anything different won't fly. But you should know AX isn't just a straight upgrade, like a little more speed or whatever. It is a very different short pip.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Re: MOG's post. I 100% agree that AX is more controlled than Spectol Red. A bazooka has more control than Spectol Red. That rubber was so fast I couldn't even look at the ball without it flying off the end.

says Hi, I am a life-long table tennis enthusiast and...
Mar 2014
These are quite different rubbers. The pip alignment on AX is horizontal, plain SP is vertical. With the AX you can play inverted strokes and make decent spin. My coach and training partner said I should keep it for this reason. The downside is I was basically playing with a crappy inverted. All the nastiness of SP was lost. I felt less control, hits were not as effective, and blocks were *very much less* trouble for my opponents.

Patrick is a far more accomplished player than me in rating and SP experience. But I am a decent 1900+ usatt player with quite a bit of time in using SP. Your results may depend on whether you are closer in SP level to me or to him.

Yeah, as I described in my review, the SP AX is a different kettle of fish. It is a rather unique short pimpled rubber and it will not be everybody's cup of tea. As a fairly recent short pip convert (~4.5 years and counting), I probably still have retained some inverted BH technique, which is why I was able to adapt relatively quickly to the rubber. In contrast, long-time 'real' SP players might very well loathe this rubber. As with so many things, it comes down to style (more than level, I think). The appeal of the SP AX is its light weight and the ability to land shots from mid-distance. Unfortunately, once the booster effect wears off after 2-3 months, it becomes a somewhat different rubber altogether again - more mushy and uncontrollable. My line of thinking is the following: if I use the Nittaku Hurricane Pro 3 Turbo Blue (extremely heavy) on my FH, I will use the SP AX in my BH; if I use the H3 40-degree blue sponge in my FH, I'd rather use Waran 2 in my BH. The combo of HP3TB and Waran 2 (a heavy short pip), is simply too heavy for me (approaching 195-200 g).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Yeah, as I described in my review, the SP AX is a different kettle of fish. It is a rather unique short pimpled rubber and it will not be everybody's cup of tea. As a fairly recent short pip convert (~4.5 years and counting), I probably still have retained some inverted BH technique, which is why I was able to adapt relatively quickly to the rubber. In contrast, long-time 'real' SP players might very well loathe this rubber. As with so many things, it comes down to style (more than level, I think). The appeal of the SP AX is its light weight and the ability to land shots from mid-distance. Unfortunately, once the booster effect wears off after 2-3 months, it becomes a somewhat different rubber altogether again - more mushy and uncontrollable. My line of thinking is the following: if I use the Nittaku Hurricane Pro 3 Turbo Blue (extremely heavy) on my FH, I will use the SP AX in my BH; if I use the H3 40-degree blue sponge in my FH, I'd rather use Waran 2 in my BH. The combo of HP3TB and Waran 2 (a heavy short pip), is simply too heavy for me (approaching 195-200 g).

Hi Patrick, have you had the chance to compare the Sp Ax to Victas 102 and Blowfish?

I find the other 2 cousins if not siblings. Same sponge, same material topsheet, maybe 5-10% difference in pimple density, slightly different pip top texture, plays pretty similar.

The Sp Ax looks pretty much in the same vein. How does the topsheet and sponge hardness compare?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
I switched to SPO rubber on my backhand because of my back issue / Scoliosis. As such my mobility and agility (Footwork) is affected and the max I can play is somewhere near to mid distance. Neither can I turn and twist my torso so much. I have tried various SPO rubber ranging from Spinlord Degu - 802 - TSP Spectol Blue and TSP 2082 Spectol and LPO as well. Didn’t like the way LPO plays and gave it up in a heart beat. Now I’m playing with SP AX. No experience with SP. I like AX especially when you can punch the ball and is fast. I usually drive / flick through with more wrist work involved. When I punch through it I use kind of more compact arm movement and less wrist work. Pushing the ball back with under spin is very good as the ball tends to stay low. Overall I’m quite happy with it. The thing about rubber is not a one size fits all. Is a very individual thing and you have to give it sometime to learn what the rubber can do and cannot do for you. Happy New Year and cheers mate!

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Spectol Red is so bad, if I can't get what I want with SP AX I am going to go fully all out onto long pimples with HP3TB. I still have a bit of inverted stroke so SP AX might suit me, but they will be useless if they just play like a less spinny inverted!!

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Spectol Red is so bad, if I can't get what I want with SP AX I am going to go fully all out onto long pimples with HP3TB. I still have a bit of inverted stroke so SP AX might suit me, but they will be useless if they just play like a less spinny inverted!!
Give the normal Moristo SP a chance before you go to long pips. It is so much better than Spectol red or moristo AX.

Mar 2014
Patrick I have read loads of your reviews and I know you like Waran and Waran 2, but I have never seen you review either anywhere? Do you have a review of Waran 2 anywhere?

Nope - TT11 have never solicited a review.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
MOG, How do you compare the relative hardness (topsheet and sponge) of the Ax vs the Victas? I'll get a sheet if its harder.