1. Top | #1
      This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member Country: Canada

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 21 Times in 18 Posts

Cornilleau Gatien Absolum OFF+

Hi,

Has anyone tried Cornilleau Gatien Absolum OFF+ blade. Please let me know.

2. Top | #2
      says Wa?

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 255 Times in 160 Posts
      Heavy, mine is 102g, oversized (longer) blade surface than usual. Similar in play to the Ebenholz (maybe a little bit harder). OK blade if you like the hardwood outer types.

Different (Crisper) feel than composites, but similar power response (low, medium, high impact contrast) profile as the Viscaria (read up Ec/Ep on TTGearlab), but noticeably slower overall.

Hard and crisp on soft bouncing. Moderate leaning towards flexible (mine measures 1268Hz for those that care). Slightly hollow "matchboxy" feeling. Altogether plays softer than one would expect from Ebony blades.
      Last edited by lasta; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:44 AM.

3. Top | #3
      says Grand Consultant to the Office
      of the Goon Squad

Master TTD Member Country: South Korea
      Equipment:
      Blade Nexy Batos ALC
      Forehand Rubber Tibhar MX-K
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar FX-S

Reviews
      Read 27 Reviews
      Liked 9,318 Times in 4,823 Posts
      Lasta is da Man.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
      President, Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club. Hit us up on TTD or Facebook
      http://www.facebook.com/koreaforeignttc

Janitor at NexyUSA TT Equipment Shop
      http://www.nexyusa.com

View our Lame Nexy USA corporate FB page
      http://www.facebook.com/nexyusa

4. The Following User Likes Der_Echte's Post:

lasta (4 Weeks Ago)

5. Top | #4
      This user has no status.

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      But what are the benefits and drawbacks of this kind of hard outer wood all wood blade over composite blades like long 5 or innerforce alc?
      Quote Originally Posted by lasta View Post
      Heavy, mine is 102g, oversized (longer) blade surface than usual. Similar in play to the Ebenholz (maybe a little bit harder). OK blade if you like the hardwood outer types.

Different (Crisper) feel than composites, but similar power response (low, medium, high impact contrast) profile as the Viscaria (read up Ec/Ep on TTGearlab), but noticeably slower overall.

Hard and crisp on soft bouncing. Moderate leaning towards flexible (mine measures 1268Hz for those that care). Slightly hollow "matchboxy" feeling. Altogether plays softer than one would expect from Ebony blades.

6. Top | #5
      says Wa?

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Quote Originally Posted by guni4you View Post
      But what are the benefits and drawbacks of this kind of hard outer wood all wood blade over composite blades like long 5 or innerforce alc?
      Honestly, I didn't like the Absolum very much, and I actively stay away from composite blades. Especially "inner" types which to me combines the worst aspects of poor low impact performance and numb feel. So, if you are looking for someone to convince you to buy either of these, you've got the wrong guy .

The ebony blades feel a little "clearer", more responsive on flicks than innerforce. But both types feel "inefficient", lacks finishing power. What kind of style do you play? What attributes are you looking for in a blade? Absolum works for Gauzy and Calderano, so there must be something that appeals to them.

Some people like to brush all day rather than hammer down high balls. For them, the innerforce types are good and gives that "dwelly" indirect feel. Some like to focus on precise over the table play and like the Absolum for bouncy flicks. And there are those who aren't satisfied until they get the feel of breaking a hammer on an anvil, like me haha. In which case, both those types are too flimsy.

7. Top | #6
      says Wa?

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      BTW, the Cornilleau isn't exactly a cheap blade. For that price, you might as well get a Viscaria. Tried and true, works for most people.

8. Top | #7
      This user has no status.

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Adtually absolum is on sale and is only around 75 usd,

So gauzy uses absolum? Andro just released gauzy sl off. Is it same as absolum? I saw the andro blade it has ebony outer plies and the red abachi wood like the one on absolum. Moreover it is made in sweden like absolum.So should be exactly same right.
      BTW, the Cornilleau isn't exactly a cheap blade. For that price, you might as well get a Viscaria. Tried and true, works for most people.

9. Top | #8
      says Wa?

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Quote Originally Posted by guni4you View Post
      Adtually absolum is on sale and is only around 75 usd,

So gauzy uses absolum? Andro just released gauzy sl off. Is it same as absolum? I saw the andro blade it has ebony outer plies and the red abachi wood like the one on absolum. Moreover it is made in sweden like absolum.So should be exactly same right.
      What!? I bought it and now its on sale? Now I have even less good things to say about it.

A frenchman posted about the Andro a feel months back. I asked, but there are very little first hand experience on the blade. It measures the same, so I would guess as much.

I bought the Cornilleau early this year while talking with a custom blade maker. The idea was a hard ebony blade would achieve a similar level of stiffness as the Clipper even on a thinner construction, The hypothesis was wrong.

10. Top | #9
      This user has no status.

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Yeah it is 90 dollars at ping pong depot.

11. Top | #10
      says Grand Consultant to the Office
      of the Goon Squad

Master TTD Member Country: South Korea
      Equipment:
      Blade Nexy Batos ALC
      Forehand Rubber Tibhar MX-K
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar FX-S

Reviews
      Read 27 Reviews
      Liked 9,318 Times in 4,823 Posts
      What!? I bought it and now its on sale? Now I have even less good things to say about it.

A frenchman posted about the Andro a feel months back. I asked, but there are very little first hand experience on the blade. It measures the same, so I would guess as much.

I bought the Cornilleau early this year while talking with a custom blade maker. The idea was a hard ebony blade would achieve a similar level of stiffness as the Clipper even on a thinner construction, The hypothesis was wrong.
      A TTD member I know bought a new Andro blade that TTD reviewed showing show awesome offense prowess. My friend was SO fired up to get this blade. So... he ordered from a very reputable England TT website... but made ONE mistake. He did not specify a weight range. He ended up getting an upper 70s gram version of that blade...

Of course a 91 gram powerhouse OFF blade is gunna play like a powerhouse, but a 70s gram version is gunna play like kitty cat or Chihuahua... meaning it will play VERY weak... more like an ALL+ version of that blade than an OFF version.

Looks like lasta has almost topped that experience.

Don't feel bad, I bought someone a wedding gift, then my wife told me she saw that same item some time ago on clearance for less than half I paid for it.

12. Top | #11
      This user has no status.

Elite TTD Member Country: Sweden

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 990 Times in 544 Posts
      Lasta, how many blades have you Tried? And are you Rich? Haha

13. Top | #12
      says Wa?

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Quote Originally Posted by Lula View Post
      Lasta, how many blades have you Tried? And are you Rich? Haha
      I wish haha. I work at a desk job with a lot of overtime, so playing opportunities are getting limited. I feed the TT passion by looking for blades that fulfills my definition of good feel. Everyone goes through the EJ phase. I like to think (hope) that I'm passed that now...Even rubbers are not so different.

14. The Following User Likes lasta's Post:

Lula (4 Weeks Ago)

15. Top | #13
      This user has no status.

Elite TTD Member Country: Sweden

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 990 Times in 544 Posts
      I wish haha. I work at a desk job with a lot of overtime, so playing opportunities are getting limited. I feed the TT passion by looking for blades that fulfills my definition of good feel. Everyone goes through the EJ phase. I like to think (hope) that I'm passed that now...Even rubbers are not so different.
      And What Do you use at the moment? Did you play penhold ns short pips?

16. Top | #14
      says Wa?

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Hi Lula,

Yes, still primarily penhold short pips.

2 of my favourites are DHS 08 and an Double Fish with Blowfish and Victas 102 rubbers. Old antiques, pretty much plays the same.

I'm practising(/trying) shakehand with a custom blade (Limba-Limba-Ayous-Mahogany-Ayous-Limba-Limba) with Victas 102 and Mantra M. Not sure If I'll get serious with it. Stance, muscle groups, overall technique are too different from penhold.

And you? I remember you were trying out all kinds of blades and rubbers a while back. Settled yet?