Mushy rubber? Bad glue job?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Hi , i just started playing table tennis and i glued my bat together for the first few times. Very first time i glued my bat together my friend loan me 2 tenegy 05s and i glue them on and rolled them on pretty tightly on to the blade and stretched it out alittle bit . I played great with that combo so i decided to buy a pair of tenegy 05 , but i read online that you should roll it on very gently and not stretch the rubber at all . So I did and i started playing bad. The rubber was felt very inconsistant and mushy feeling .

You guys think its because the rubber is not contacting the blade properly?

Got bad batch of tenergy?

I already reglued the rubbers back on the blade because the edges of the rubber were coming off the blade. But i rolled it out with a full 750 ml grey goose bottle , (just using the weight of the bottle) and it got stretch out by 2-3 mm , is this bad?

Sorry if these are dumb questions ,but i wont be able to play for another 2 week and i wanna know if any one have any experience like this.

I use the zhang jike alc blade btw

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Yeah, leave it under a pile of books for a good 15-30 min before cutting the rubber, it tends to give a better glue job.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Okay, so from my experience so far, I hate using paste type glue. DHS no.15, Nittaku FineZip, you name it, i hate it. It makes the rubber feels different, as if there's another layer between the blade and the rubber. I recommend rev3 glue since it's cheap and really nice to use

For new rubbers, I'd put 2 layers on the rubber, the first is always thicker since the sponge will soak all the glue and the second layer is the actual glue layer that will create a nice uniform sticking layer.

On the blade, i'd always put more and the blade will create a nice sheen when light reflects on it as if it was lacquered.

When i stick the rubber, the first roll will always be gentle, putting almost no pressure at all. I'd do this 4-5 times, and then putting the natural weight of your palm (imagine the pressure of just resting your palm's weight on the table) into the roller and roll it another 2-3 times.

The last one is to put your body weight and roll one last time to ensure it sticks nicely. By this point, the rubber won't be expanding anymore because the sponge position already settles and you're just adding pressure to avoid those "ball bumps" on the rubber. Doing this basically lets you play with the rubber immediately and the glue feeling won't change at all

One important thing in doing this is to make sure you're doing one consistent roll every time. You NEVER want to stop midway through a roll and continue. One consistent pressure in one continuous roll.

In regards on how to apply the glue, I always make sure all the area is covered by the glue first, then i make a horizontal stroke at the very bottom, then vertical stroke to ensure as if the layer looks like a sheet of paper once it dries. Almost all the glue-ing application videos in youtube do this method

That's my method. I glue for my college club so I can confidently say I've glued around 100 sheets of rubbers

Last edited:
Reactions: Keven702
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Okay, so from my experience so far, I hate using paste type glue. DHS no.15, Nittaku FineZip, you name it, i hate it. It makes the rubber feels different, as if there's another layer between the blade and the rubber. I recommend rev3 glue since it's cheap and really nice to use

For new rubbers, I'd put 2 layers on the rubber, the first is always thicker since the sponge will soak all the glue and the second layer is the actual glue layer that will create a nice uniform sticking layer.

On the blade, i'd always put more and the blade will create a nice sheen when light reflects on it as if it was lacquered.

When i stick the rubber, the first roll will always be gentle, putting almost no pressure at all. I'd do this 4-5 times, and then putting the natural weight of your palm (imagine the pressure of just resting your palm's weight on the table) into the roller and roll it another 2-3 times.

The last one is to put your body weight and roll one last time to ensure it sticks nicely. By this point, the rubber won't be expanding anymore because the sponge position already settles and you're just adding pressure to avoid those "ball bumps" on the rubber. Doing this basically lets you play with the rubber immediately and the glue feeling won't change at all

One important thing in doing this is to make sure you're doing one consistent roll every time. You NEVER want to stop midway through a roll and continue. One consistent pressure in one continuous roll.

In regards on how to apply the glue, I always make sure all the area is covered by the glue first, then i make a horizontal stroke at the very bottom, then vertical stroke to ensure as if the layer looks like a sheet of paper once it dries. Almost all the glue-ing application videos in youtube do this method

That's my method. I glue for my college club so I can confidently say I've glued around 100 sheets of rubbers

Thanks for the advice man , it was really informative!