Equipment for learning to chop

This user has no status.
During practice sessions I’ve been trying to learn how to chop back loops. This is purely a side hobby because I find it interesting and my friends like to practice looping against chopping. (I have no intention of chopping during a match. This is more of a fun distraction. I only care about chopping loops as part of a training drill. )

I seem to have trouble with control and most of my chopped loops go long. So, I have two basic questions:

1) Rubber

A while back I bought a sheet of Palio CK531A long pips for five dollars (0.6 - 0.8 sponge). Would it be easier to start out chopping loops with thin sponge inverted rubber? 0x sponge pips? Short Pips? A different style of long pips? I’m just focused on control and consistency.

2) Blade

I had a Stiga Allround Classic (ST) that was sitting around collecting dust so I glued the five dollar pips onto it. Would there be a noticeable improvement in chopping control / consistency with a defensive blade ($35 USD range) ?

Thanks!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Chopping with LP is way easier than SP or inverted. The forgiveness that LP provides can't be compared.

Sponge can have two purposes when chopping:
A) To dampen the ball
B) To be able to generate more backspin yourself (as opposed to "spin reversal")

B heavily depends on how much friction the rubber in question has. Something like Dawei 388D is very low friction and can't generate much spin by itself whereas Dawei 388D-1 can produce a little bit by itself.

Using sponge also makes it quite tricky to stay at the table and block so you're pretty much forced to back away from the table.

I would start with 0.5mm sponge if you want to try it out. Mastering 1.0 and above takes quite a lot of practice.