Please help me I’d my Clipper Wood.

Please help me Identify my Clipper Wood.

Hey all, I’m waiting for an older 80’s/90’s ? Clipper Wood in the mail but I’m having trouble finding the year of production. Here is a picture of the lens with font on blade:
cache.php
Are there any websites that have reference pics as to which year a certain clipper was made? I've searched through MyTT.Net/ Rarepaddles.C** / and of course google, but to no avail, I couldn't find anything really specific to this Clipper with Red Font and Gold lettering on Red Lens. Hopefully someone can help, It's my most expensive blade purchase yet $250+ and I'd like to know all I can about it. By the way i'm not a collector and I would be using it. I'm so curious to see what that vintage stiga feel everyone is talking about. And If I don't like it I can hopefully resell at what I paid since these hold theyre value. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Are you sure it's a Clipper? With a name like Winner, I'd guess it's an old premade.

Also, why would you even think about 250 when you can get a modern Clipper for 40? For these kind of blades, it's thickness that makes the most difference. Table tennis blades don't have vintage, they don't age well, and black tag pink tag are Al hocus pocus.

Are you sure it's a Clipper? With a name like Winner, I'd guess it's an old premade.

Also, why would you even think about 250 when you can get a modern Clipper for 40? For these kind of blades, it's thickness that makes the most difference. Table tennis blades don't have vintage, they don't age well, and black tag pink tag are Al hocus pocus.

I hear you Lasta, I’ve had a regular Clipper for about 5months. Used it at least 3-4x a week liked the stability and power it provided but the feeling wasn’t as satisfying as a 5ply blade when looping/driving. I still very much enjoyed it though. I then moved onto something else and then something else, etc etc. The reason I spent that much (and I knew I was going to get called out on it ! :D) is because of curiosity. This Clipper is noticeably thinner than modern ones which from what I’ve read have “good” feeling not found in the newer clippers. I know it sounds like BS but I’m just curious to know. If you look at the wings it says clipper wood in red. And I guess they made an anatomic version some time ago which the word ‘Winner’ refers to. And correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t the word vintage mean year of production? Table tennis blades DO have vintages Lasta. Anyway thnx for your reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
You can get modern clippers or other brands 7-ply limbs ayous at thinner constructions...I'm very surprised someone who has moved on many blades would make a purchase conclusion on someone else's subjective opinion of "good".

Anyways, nothing satisfies curiousity than knowing. Get it and try. Then again, sometimes even knowing is not enough to trump belief. Choose your camp haha.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
The answer is always to be found in The Rules..

20 The correct number of blades to own is n + 1 where n is the number you own now. An exemption can be made for players in committed relationships, in which case the correct number is s-1, where s is the number of blades that causes your spouse or partner to leave you.

You bought a blade to try it. In accordance with The Rules. Nobody should call you put on it. Now you should try another blade too. If you don't have a Viscaria, get one now.

Do bear in mind Rule 27 though, which does not allow you to believe that any of these new blades will actually improve your level of play.

Last edited:
Reactions: splasher78
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Lasta, you seem not to be aware of how Stiga labels their blades. Winner is the handle. Winner is an anatomical handle.

If you look on the wings of the blade face below the rubber, IN RED, on the left side of the handle it says Clipper and on the other side of the handle, also in red, it says Wood.

That is standard for how a Clipper is labeled. The blade pictured above is a Clipper.

I would also say you may not understand how wood ages. As wood gets older, it looses some of its moisture and for a TT blade that makes it feel crisper. Some of the best blades I have felt were two Clippers that were purchased in 1991 by a friend who is a pro and coach. They both feel amazing. He also has a P700 from that time which also feels wildly good.

It is also worth noting that back in the late 80s and early 90s, the quality of the blades Stiga made was immensely better than it is today. Some of the reputation Stiga has today for blades rests on how good they were at genuine craftsmanship in the past.

Another thing to know, back then some Clippers were 6mm thick which is very different than the 7.2mm thickness of todays Clippers.

However, I also would not try to buy an old Clipper unless it was in front of me, I could see the condition of the blade, and I could get to try the blade to see how it felt.

But, if someone thinks the holy grail of blades is to buy an old Clipper, I would not get in the way of that based on the old Clippers I have tried. :)

You can get modern clippers or other brands 7-ply limbs ayous at thinner constructions...I'm very surprised someone who has moved on many blades would make a purchase conclusion on someone else's subjective opinion of "good".

Anyways, nothing satisfies curiousity than knowing. Get it and try. Then again, sometimes even knowing is not enough to trump belief. Choose your camp haha.

I completely understand why you'd be perplexed at my decision to make such a foolish purchase based on subjectivity. But thats exactly why I would make that purchase, to find out for myself. Even if someone said "X-Blade is "bad" or "horrible" I'd be even more curious to try it out. I wouldn't pay much for it though! lol. I know there will be people who think i'm an idiot for spending that amount, but I could care less. I like to learn things on my own and make my own decision based on my experience. Also, i've been intrigued by vintage blades in general and have always wanted to give it a shot, why not? Also Upsidedowncarl's post regarding the older, "thinner" clippers having a different feeling vs the new clippers made me even want to try this even more. Lastly I was led to this blade by a close friend who was at one point one of China's Top 10 Vintage Stiga collectors when he was living in Hong Kong I'm not saying he is right in his knowledge, but I trust his expertise on blades and table tennis in General. He said he'd buy it from me if i didn't like it, so it's a win win for me."Then again, sometimes even knowing is not enough to trump belief." -Lasta
Best quote i've read all month... Thanks again!

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
I completely understand why you'd be perplexed at my decision to make such a foolish purchase based on subjectivity. But thats exactly why I would make that purchase, to find out for myself. Even if someone said "X-Blade is "bad" or "horrible" I'd be even more curious to try it out. I wouldn't pay much for it though! lol. I know there will be people who think i'm an idiot for spending that amount, but I could care less. I like to learn things on my own and make my own decision based on my experience. Also, i've been intrigued by vintage blades in general and have always wanted to give it a shot, why not? Also Upsidedowncarl's post regarding the older, "thinner" clippers having a different feeling vs the new clippers made me even want to try this even more. Lastly I was led to this blade by a close friend who was at one point one of China's Top 10 Vintage Stiga collectors when he was living in Hong Kong I'm not saying he is right in his knowledge, but I trust his expertise on blades and table tennis in General. He said he'd buy it from me if i didn't like it, so it's a win win for me."Then again, sometimes even knowing is not enough to trump belief." -Lasta
Best quote i've read all month... Thanks again!

Well, the hart has reasons the brain can't understand. I'm a bit like you and still in n+1 mode. I can afford it so why I have to stop it?? Nothing better than testing and make your own idea. Just tested the zjk T 5000, and now I can say I don't like the feeling even if I usually like the T5000 and I'm playing with one... to thin for me, the feeling is not so soft as I was expecting?? So one more blade in what I don't want to name "collection". I don't do that to make money or trade or increase numbers...

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thanks zeio. I've read both of those articles. Some good info there. I will post more pics so those who are following can see the difference in thickness.

Do you have a photo of the other side of the handle? Is there a lens on the other side as well like the 9 ply from 42andbackpains from MyTT?

It would be worth seeing the second lens if there is one.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Lasta, you seem not to be aware of how Stiga labels their blades. Winner is the handle. Winner is an anatomical handle.

If you look on the wings of the blade face below the rubber, IN RED, on the left side of the handle it says Clipper and on the other side of the handle, also in red, it says Wood.

That is standard for how a Clipper is labeled. The blade pictured above is a Clipper.

I would also say you may not understand how wood ages. As wood gets older, it looses some of its moisture and for a TT blade that makes it feel crisper. Some of the best blades I have felt were two Clippers that were purchased in 1991 by a friend who is a pro and coach. They both feel amazing. He also has a P700 from that time which also feels wildly good.

It is also worth noting that back in the late 80s and early 90s, the quality of the blades Stiga made was immensely better than it is today. Some of the reputation Stiga has today for blades rests on how good they were at genuine craftsmanship in the past.

Another thing to know, back then some Clippers were 6mm thick which is very different than the 7.2mm thickness of todays Clippers.

However, I also would not try to buy an old Clipper unless it was in front of me, I could see the condition of the blade, and I could get to try the blade to see how it felt.

But, if someone thinks the holy grail of blades is to buy an old Clipper, I would not get in the way of that based on the old Clippers I have tried. :)

Ancient lore says that Stiga had a bunch of wood stored somewhere in northern Sweden where by luck it dried in some especially perfect way. The blades made from that lot of wood were especially perfect -- Clippers of that era -- but eventually they used up all that wood and never recreated the phenomenon ( because it was never clear why that particular lot of wood was so good, was it the trees, the way the wood was cut or stored or something else). I can attest that there is night and day difference between 1990s Clippers and newer ones. About the only thing in common is the name.

Last edited:
Do you have a photo of the other side of the handle? Is there a lens on the other side as well like the 9 ply from 42andbackpains from MyTT?

It would be worth seeing the second lens if there is one.

Hey Carl, no lens on the other side. Just one lens. And as promised here is a pic of blade thickness. Adjustments.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Hey Carl, no lens on the other side. Just one lens. And as promised here is a pic of blade thickness. View attachment 20175

Sent from my planet earth using outerspace

Sorry guys, I don't have a pic of a current clipper to compare, but from my assessment this model looks slightly thinner than the newer clippers. Will keep you posted when it arrives.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Sorry guys, I don't have a pic of a current clipper to compare, but from my assessment this model looks slightly thinner than the newer clippers. Will keep you posted when it arrives.

Notably thinner to my eye. I can't wait to hear how you like it and how it plays. Hopefully you got one of the good ones.

Yeah i can't wait either! and yes I hope I got one of the good ones. I'd be more than glad to let you try it when it arrives. I'm minutes away from brooklyn.
Notably thinner to my eye. I can't wait to hear how you like it and how it plays. Hopefully you got one of the good ones.

Just got digital calipers in the mail today and want to show all that this is indeed one of the "thinner" clippers (exactly 6mm) than the clippers being made to today. Heres a pic:
IMG_1437.jpg

my apologies for the poor pic

Last edited:
Reactions: Simas