How to top spin loop or drive a mid range / long range

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Haha , yea I agree , am usually a aggressive attacker and I'm 6'4 so I dont usually get pushed off the table unless they hit very wide , so that why dont got much experience with mid range or long range balls . But it still looks so damn cool when you see players hit long range!

Most people suggesting , me to work on my movement , which is ok, but I dont have much problem with the movement, because I have played basketball at pretty high level before . My "in pie" is not bad and i get into position pretty well , i just have question where and when to hit the ball? I have heard hit it when it dips alittle and hit it at top of bounce ?

Agian my forhand loop is not bad ,i just dont have experience with long range. I just remember the times i get into long distance range , i start feeling confuse on how to hit it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Like i Said. Hit at the top of the bounce. Lower and you need much more arc and you can not chose if you want to hit harder. At the top of the bouncy not at much arc and spin is needed so you can play Mich harder and still get the ball over the net.

Reactions: Keven702
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Haha , yea I agree , am usually a aggressive attacker and I'm 6'4 so I dont usually get pushed off the table unless they hit very wide , so that why dont got much experience with mid range or long range balls . But it still looks so damn cool when you see players hit long range!

Most people suggesting , me to work on my movement , which is ok, but I dont have much problem with the movement, because I have played basketball at pretty high level before . My "in pie" is not bad and i get into position pretty well , i just have question where and when to hit the ball? I have heard hit it when it dips alittle and hit it at top of bounce ?

Agian my forhand loop is not bad ,i just dont have experience with long range. I just remember the times i get into long distance range , i start feeling confuse on how to hit it.
There are exercises like using the barriers between the tables as a large net and spin the ball over it. One of the last training I was with the kids and as warm up they had great fun playing some 'tennis' over the barriers. I think it could help develop some feel for longer balls and how they curve.

Otherwise get a pips or defensive opponent to train against. Lifting those chopped balls with high underspin could also help.

Gesendet von meinem LG-H815 mit Tapatalk

Reactions: Keven702
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
There are exercises like using the barriers between the tables as a large net and spin the ball over it. One of the last training I was with the kids and as warm up they had great fun playing some 'tennis' over the barriers. I think it could help develop some feel for longer balls and how they curve.

Otherwise get a pips or defensive opponent to train against. Lifting those chopped balls with high underspin could also help.

Gesendet von meinem LG-H815 mit Tapatalk

Thats pretty cool , where do they put the barriers ,on the table?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
The obvious advantage to hitting ball at top of bounce is you can use maximum forward swing plane and still land the ball, meaning you can really POUND that sucka with the same landing percentage. You have the maximum possible vertical angle to work with (and the range of error and still land it) That is the number one reason a lot of coaches insist on hitting at top of bounce. Modern coaching is all about speed, speed, speed. Nothing enhances your chances to utilize speed like hitting the ball at top of bounce. The number two reason is there is ZERO vertical energy at that point, which simplifies your stroke - just go forward and hit away. You just eliminated a factor that you needed to have judged and adjusted for. (you have more possibility for error with more stuff to calculate and adjust to)

The advantage to allowing the ball to drop a little is that you have more time to read the ball and feel comfortable doing your aggressive shot, which you can still power it aggressively, albeit with more spin and a tad less pace.

At the end of the day, you are gunna have to deal with the incoming ball. At 5 feet from the table, the ball might be on its way down, a little or a lot. You may or may not be able to move to a place where you can hit at top of bounce.

One could move forward to get to a position to hit at top of bounce, but that isn't an absolute requirement. What counts a lot more is reading the ball and being ready to play your shot, whether that is at the table or away. Often, we do not have much choice in the matter, because opponent is not making it easy like practice. We have to be able to deal with what comes to us under pressure.

Knowing what is possible on how to adjust for a shot can really keep you alive.

The easiest tip I could provide someone trying to stay in the point under time pressure and out of position is to loosen the grip and not go for max power. The loos grip can absorb a lot of incoming power, whether it is speed or spin or both... and give you better percentage to land it... and if you placed it OK, then you can make a stronger shot next ball.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
The obvious advantage to hitting ball at top of bounce is you can use maximum forward swing plane and still land the ball, meaning you can really POUND that sucka with the same landing percentage. You have the maximum possible vertical angle to work with (and the range of error and still land it) That is the number one reason a lot of coaches insist on hitting at top of bounce. Modern coaching is all about speed, speed, speed. Nothing enhances your chances to utilize speed like hitting the ball at top of bounce. The number two reason is there is ZERO vertical energy at that point, which simplifies your stroke - just go forward and hit away. You just eliminated a factor that you needed to have judged and adjusted for. (you have more possibility for error with more stuff to calculate and adjust to)

The advantage to allowing the ball to drop a little is that you have more time to read the ball and feel comfortable doing your aggressive shot, which you can still power it aggressively, albeit with more spin and a tad less pace.

At the end of the day, you are gunna have to deal with the incoming ball. At 5 feet from the table, the ball might be on its way down, a little or a lot. You may or may not be able to move to a place where you can hit at top of bounce.

One could move forward to get to a position to hit at top of bounce, but that isn't an absolute requirement. What counts a lot more is reading the ball and being ready to play your shot, whether that is at the table or away. Often, we do not have much choice in the matter, because opponent is not making it easy like practice. We have to be able to deal with what comes to us under pressure.

Knowing what is possible on how to adjust for a shot can really keep you alive.

The easiest tip I could provide someone trying to stay in the point under time pressure and out of position is to loosen the grip and not go for max power. The loos grip can absorb a lot of incoming power, whether it is speed or spin or both... and give you better percentage to land it... and if you placed it OK, then you can make a stronger shot next ball.

Thank you brother , thats exactly what
I wanted to know !

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Lula said:
If you mean looping at a long distance from the table i think it is basically the same as close to the table... Training loop loop is more cool than it actually help you win points.

I am gunna let the TT internet in on a secret (or what seems to be a secret)… (a secret Lula prolly learned 25 years ago)

I would be 2100+ in NYC where I think you play... and the overwhelming majority of players play MAYBE 3 of those mid-distance loop to loop rallies at that level in an entire match.

Let that sink in, internet TTers.

I am a sucker just like anyone else and like to practice that mid-distance loop as much as the next guy, it looks cool and feels good. Even better is I practice the BH hookshot loop from mid-distance... I am a fatty old dude O50 and the less moving I have to do the better. That practice has helped me out in a few situations where someone blocks it to my BH and all I gotta do is take a step forward and let 'er rip.

Eventually, I will have more readiness, willingness, courage, and skill to do that more in a real match. My mid-distance game is a level or two better quality, but I gotta be able to anticipate and actually execute the first counter topspin if I want to really play that way in a match.

For strategic growth, there is nothing wrong with training that shot (mid-distance loop)

For comparison, it isn't a bad idea to learn the BH and FH flick or the short push while at 1300 level... a player would certainly start using those shots by 2000 level... and trying to start learning those shots at 2000 level could be tough. Learning those at your level may help you out in other areas where you have to step in to the ball, so more power to you.

Such strategic developmental goals are a positive thing in my view, so I could not fault anyone for asking and trying it out.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
I am gunna let the TT internet in on a secret (or what seems to be a secret)… (a secret Lula prolly learned 25 years ago)

I would be 2100+ in NYC where I think you play... and the overwhelming majority of players play MAYBE 3 of those mid-distance loop to loop rallies at that level in an entire match.

Let that sink in, internet TTers.

I am a sucker just like anyone else and like to practice that mid-distance loop as much as the next guy, it looks cool and feels good. Even better is I practice the BH hookshot loop from mid-distance... I am a fatty old dude O50 and the less moving I have to do the better. That practice has helped me out in a few situations where someone blocks it to my BH and all I gotta do is take a step forward and let 'er rip.

Eventually, I will have more readiness, willingness, courage, and skill to do that more in a real match. My mid-distance game is a level or two better quality, but I gotta be able to anticipate and actually execute the first counter topspin if I want to really play that way in a match.

For strategic growth, there is nothing wrong with training that shot (mid-distance loop)

For comparison, it isn't a bad idea to learn the BH and FH flick or the short push while at 1300 level... a player would certainly start using those shots by 2000 level... and trying to start learning those shots at 2000 level could be tough. Learning those at your level may help you out in other areas where you have to step in to the ball, so more power to you.

Such strategic developmental goals are a positive thing in my view, so I could not fault anyone for asking and trying it out.

Completely agree , thank you man .
You are spot on today! I am from NYC , how could you tell?!

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Keven702 said:
...I am from NYC , how could you tell?!

You haven't been reading on the adventures of the Goon Squad on TTD over the years, you would have seen a few of our Goon Squad gatherings happen at coach Liu's club.

You look for a sleeveless C-Pen player who is now playing shakehand, you might run into Ping Pong Holic over there.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Haha , Great , let me know if you ever come down again and maybe we can play some good ole table tennis

In this thread I would keep to all that Der_Echte has already said.

Just a few more comments.
In a training session an experienced partner will give you balls consistant enough to develope your desired scills.
You may exercise taking the ball at the top, while it is still ascending, or when it is descending. Every one of these gives you different opportinities depending on the ball speed and height. The ascending ball is good to block or smash, but hard to spin and there is no point to loop. On the top of the bounce you may block, smash, do a sharp aggressive top spin - the best, but harder to execute/, again no point to loop. The descending ball, depending on its force and height, can be blocked passive or active, countered with a smash or sharp spinned, and it can be looped in different ways. It gives you more time to react, but it gives more time to your opponent too.
In real match you may find yourself in many different situations and its good to be ready to react accordingly. Time and experience will show you how to deal with different scenarios and depending on your opponent distance and position.
Distance Do matter. The kind of balls you receive depend on your opponent distance from the table. The way you receive the ball depends on your distance from the table.
If you are forced to go to longer distance, do not go the longest safety, try to keep mid or mid-long just from where you would be able to reach the ball at all stages, depending on your opponent style and the quality of your footwork.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Haha , Great , let me know if you ever come down again and maybe we can play some good ole table tennis

Just follow the threads... in one of them I will make note of when I visit NYC and prolly have its own thread. There has got to be a dozen plus TTD members in NYC just ripe for a meetup.

Last edited: