How to top spin loop or drive a mid range / long range

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Hi , I just started playing table tennis and im progressing pretty well , but im having trouble figure out how to topspin loop/drive a mid range or long range ball.

When do I contact the ball? ( i usually contact it when it starts to dip , i see alot of pros do this)

Where do i contact the ball? ( oclock wise)

How do i hit it? With open bat angle?

Should i concentrate on the putting spin aspect or driving aspect onto the ball

I use t05 both side on a zjk alc btw

And if you guys can be specific with your answers that will be very helpful

Thank you

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
Hi , I just started playing table tennis

[...]

cache.php

This user has no status.
From distance I focus on having a very full stroke with lots of body rotation and weight transfer. I don’t really change my bat angle, but the stroke is more forward than usual.

I like hitting at the top of the bounce if that’s available, but if I’m at distance then I have no choice but to contact the ball when it’s dropping.

Reactions: Keven702
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I thin hou should hit the ball at the highest point because then you can hit harder because not as much arc is necessary. Maybe okey to let it drop a little But more difficult to play hard.

You want to have a somewhat closed racket angle and brush on the top of the ball, over it.

I think you always should try to get as much spin as possible. Spin makes the ball go in an arc then down so this give you alot of safety. Atleast when you are are offensive.

Regarding your rubber and blade i think it can work But i think you Will have a much faster developement with slower stuff. I would suggest that when the rubber is worn out you go for something slower and bit softer like Maybe markv, rigan and Maybe some rakza soft. I Do not want to be rude But you Do not benefit from tenergy and is a waste of your money since your level Do not be so high yet. Better to use the money for coaching. That Will make you a better player. Tenergy Will not.

Good luck!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Yea , i was search on youtube but didnt find much , only saw the one thst taught you how to topspin close table. I was wonder if there is any differences beween close to table loop or distance looping?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
We can say hit the ball at THIS point of the bounce in THIS way, but in reality, everything depends on the incoming ball, your position, your readiness and balance, what you want to do... you get the idea - everything isn't all setup perfect for you in a rally.

You have to deal with what you have and where you are.

Some common things are:

- Swing forward, but up a little more than you would at the table
- Put some power in your swing, you have more time for a larger swing
- Bend knees, be ready to get down if the ball is gunna drop below the optimal height of center of impact zone
- Do a tiny knee bend when opponent strikes the ball - it will help you move quickly
- Plant and hit if you can
- Impact ball in the center of your impact zone (not way in front/forward towards table)
- Keep hand loose to control incoming spin, or firm it up right at impact to deliver more power to ball
- Adjust with your bat angle - heavier incoming spin you have to close a little more
- Don't rush, you have time
- Don't over-think stuff - it will get U Rekt quicker than spit
- You do not always have to go for 100% power - a 50% power shot can fly like 80% vs an incoming spinny ball

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Keven said:
Yea ,you probably thinking this set up too fast for a beginner like me but...

What an experienced plyer thinks when he/she sees a new player with a high end BTY ALC blade and Tenergies… they tend to think a few or all of the below:

- Dude hasn't learned how to feel the ball yet. WHY use a setup that is tough to feel when not struck right?
- Dude has not yet learned how to cope with spin, but has selected a very spin sensitive setup
- Dude does not yet have 10% of the skills to use T05effectively, even 2000 USATT level players have only 60% of the needed skills
- Dude done spent $300 large and would play exact same level with a $30 bat from Colestt.com
- Did dude buy the expensive setup to impress other newbs?
- Is dude a BTY fanboy already?
- Who the F$%#@&** recommended this bat?
- Where did dude learn that Tenergy is the best rubber for an amateur?
- Is this dude from USA? Gotta be.

Personally I think everyone should play with what they like and enjoy the sport in the manner they wish... but if a player is serious about improving to whatever is considered a decent level, then starting out with a bat like that is usually not gunna get it done.

Still, if a player in not in a situation to get competent coaching, or doesn't want it, then that player will likely never learn the basic fundamental skills. Even if the new player got an appropriate bat for a beginner, without competent coaching and development, they play will not learn how to move, how to strike, how to read spin, tactics, how to adjust, how to compete... you get the idea.

A player not getting effective coaching isn't going too far in TT anyway, so it doesn't really matter if the new player with quadruple overkill on the equipment.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hi , I just started playing table tennis and im progressing pretty well , but im having trouble figure out how to topspin loop/drive a mid range or long range ball.

When do I contact the ball? ( i usually contact it when it starts to dip , i see alot of pros do this)

Where do i contact the ball? ( oclock wise)

How do i hit it? With open bat angle?

Should i concentrate on the putting spin aspect or driving aspect onto the ball

And if you guys can be specific with your answers that will be very helpful

Thank you

For you to get advice that is even remotely useful to you, you should go ahead and film yourself and post footage of it here so people can see what you are actually doing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
@der ecthe , I understand why people are concerned about the set up , but let me talk about my situation. I started playing table tennis with my friend who is about 2000 rating and used to play at jr olympics lent me timoboll alc with t05 both side . He taught me how to top spin the ball. But now he quit . So now a club i joined sets me up with the older people to play. Problem with that they just want to have long rallies with you close to table for exercise.
I am consistant with both forehand and and back hand , its just i never have too much experience with long range looping . On the few occasions that i do see long range balls they seem to hit differently . So that why I'm asking how do you guys hit your long range balls.

And also i had a couple coaching lesson from liu juan and she said my looping is fine , i just have to keep my elbow alittle closer to my body.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
there are many things to say and i have no idea about your technique

I'm at a higher level than you probably, so the following is maybe not whats most important for you, but here is some general advice:

- always keep a good posture. stay low on your legs, upper body leaning forward
- always try to hit the ball in front of you, not on the side, you will have less or not enough power. Keep this mindset of always trying to hit the ball forward.
- to make it more natural to hit the ball in front of me, i like to have my arm a bit stretched in front of me in the neutral position, it helps me visualize the idea hitting zone
- it is not so important to hit the ball hard and make a big swing, timing and technique are more important. Stay relaxed except at impact where you can tighten your grip just a little bit. contract abs when hitting the ball.
- use power from the legs and waist. use momentum (arm lever effect)
- recover quickly for the next shot
- try to make the contact with the racket covering the ball, and you can use a bit your wrist to add a little spin, but don't over do it.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
If you mean looping at a long distance from the table i think it is basically the same as close to the table, Maybe a little more body and a bit more upward with the stroke.

I also think you should avoid being far away from table at all cost. Training loop loop is more cool than it actually help you win points.

If you want to play far away, become a defender.

Reactions: thekleifheit13