Timo Boll Alc v Stiga Carbonado

says Xxxxxz
says Xxxxxz
Jan 2015
Can anyone with experience of both give me some thoughts on how the stiga series of blades compares to the Butterfly Timo Boll ALC. Which of the carbonado series would be closest to the alc, or are they all very different to it?

Thanks

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
A question of taste (and maybe what you are used to). I tried the Carbonado 145, sold it to a clubmate. I normally use a Viscaria, pretty much the same as a Boll ALC. Never tried a 190.

Ideally someone you know has one you can try.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
A question of taste (and maybe what you are used to). I tried the Carbonado 145, sold it to a clubmate. I normally use a Viscaria, pretty much the same as a Boll ALC. Never tried a 190.

Ideally someone you know has one you can try.

The 145 is too different from a Viscaria. The 190 is much closer and then things like feeling of the top ply and handle come into play. I actually use the 190 now as my backup blade with MX-K.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
But why get either one of these 2 when you can get acoustic carbon?

I think the Carbonado series are different from the Acoustic series and it depends on your feeling. I have hit with a friends Acoustic Carbon and I didn't feel like I liked it as much as I like the Carbonado I have. I have all the X45 series and the 190 as well. Since I am transitioning to using faster blades in my game, the 190 is currently the best fit, though if I was all out topspin, I might prefer the 145 as I see it as a faster Korbel.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
I think the Carbonado series are different from the Acoustic series and it depends on your feeling. I have hit with a friends Acoustic Carbon and I didn't feel like I liked it as much as I like the Carbonado I have. I have all the X45 series and the 190 as well. Since I am transitioning to using faster blades in my game, the 190 is currently the best fit, though if I was all out topspin, I might prefer the 145 as I see it as a faster Korbel.

Acoustic carbon feeling is mostly similar to zlc

This user has no status.
Bryan gave the answer I gave. I much prefer the Carbonado 190 to the Boll ALC because of the limba outer ply. The 145 is a bit closer to 5 ply all wood behavior.

What’s interesting is that I assumed the ttgearlabs measurements for the 190 would be the most similar to the Freitas ALC since they are both Limba outer, but that’s not the case. Too many different factors I guess (TeXtreme vs ALC, thickness, etc...)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
What’s interesting is that I assumed the ttgearlabs measurements for the 190 would be the most similar to the Freitas ALC since they are both Limba outer, but that’s not the case. Too many different factors I guess (TeXtreme vs ALC, thickness, etc...)

TTGearLab's method captures certain very important aspects of blade properties but I don't believe it fully describes a given blade. It does question the common wisdom of outer ply importance.

An odd example is Infinity VPS V that is labeled as slow and not very flexible:
https://ttgearlab.com/2018/01/23/stiga-arctic-wood-celero-wood-lab-test/