Is there a spinny short pimple?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think the problem with 802 40 is that it is proably was made for speedglue. But it is still one of the most used short pimples in the history i think. I think it is well worth the money and in my opinion much better than rakza po and spinpips.

I think it is okay that you try new rubbers But i think you need to remember that it willnot magically solve everything.

Reactions: MOG and lasta
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Lula, are you still using the 802-40?

Also, yes, if you are just going to a club session, try out 802-40 with a few layer of speed glue. Really is one of the most satisfying experiences in TT.

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
lasta

I am not looking for a magic solution I am playing well but not against some styles with spectol and not consistently, however I know if I had a bit more grip I could do more and would have a bit more variation, especially if I got a short pimple that was good on digging, probably a lower throw one would do.

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
For more info ask from INNOWEP Testing Lab, Germany. They now owning a Summary Testing Database for all the table tennis rubbers available on market for now. over 1500 rubber items compised and actual CoF measure is indicated for each rubber. It is only-in-office info as yet.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Butterfly Raystorm in max thickness. Spinniest SP in existence. But it's also the least disturbing for your opponent. So all in all a tradeoff. You can hit weird spinny slow BH loops with it.

Reactions: MOG
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 1 reviews
I can thoroughly recommend SpinLord Wyvern as a spinny short pip. It has a soft, grippy top sheet, which is as easy to generate spin with as any of the ESN rubbers and you would probably find it easier to use in the short game than Spin Pips.
It has a harder sponge than a lot of the ESN short pips, they rate it at 43-45° on their scale and I measured a sheet at 46° Shore O, which I think makes it more versatile.
You don’t get a huge amount of disturbance, but there is maybe a fraction more than other similarly grippy short pips.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I have looked at trying waran 2 and wyvern. I think they could be good alternatives.

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
That seems very hard Sedis.
I find the harder sponge pimples harder to use. Is the rubber itself soft enough to compensate?

I can thoroughly recommend SpinLord Wyvern as a spinny short pip. It has a soft, grippy top sheet, which is as easy to generate spin with as any of the ESN rubbers and you would probably find it easier to use in the short game than Spin Pips.
It has a harder sponge than a lot of the ESN short pips, they rate it at 43-45° on their scale and I measured a sheet at 46° Shore O, which I think makes it more versatile.
You don’t get a huge amount of disturbance, but there is maybe a fraction more than other similarly grippy short pips.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Be careful looking for spin from an SP. In my limited ej experience with sp you trade off some hitting ability for every increment of spin added. It's not that the rubber isn't as capable of hitting, it is your level of confidence to truly smack the ball goes down bc the result is less predictable with a more reactive rubber. So you run the risk of effectively turning a good sp into a bad inverted.

A longtime pips player long and short said to me if you use [any junk rubber] you have to let the rubber do its job. SP are made to hit hard and to quick-block people side to side. The more you get away from that the less you are letting the rubber work for you.

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I like this wisdom BRS.
Just wonder if a little bit of grip will help me.

The grippy Nittaku does not seem to be holding back Mima Ito from hitting though.

I only want enough grip to assist me in lifting the ball a little on a slower stroke sometimes.
But more I want a less bouncy short pimple that will be easier to return lower with.

It is hard to return the ball short and low with Spectol Red 1.8 on a carbon blade.
Maybe the other option is back to a 7 ply wood, stiiff and soft.

Be careful looking for spin from an SP. In my limited ej experience with sp you trade off some hitting ability for every increment of spin added. It's not that the rubber isn't as capable of hitting, it is your level of confidence to truly smack the ball goes down bc the result is less predictable with a more reactive rubber. So you run the risk of effectively turning a good sp into a bad inverted.

A longtime pips player long and short said to me if you use [any junk rubber] you have to let the rubber do its job. SP are made to hit hard and to quick-block people side to side. The more you get away from that the less you are letting the rubber work for you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
About using speedglue on a 802-40 III pip rubber. What different does it make then?? And how often to speedglue it then???
And is it 2-3 layers of glue or what??? And how much time to do it before training or match???

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews

This is very true and it is why after a year or so I went back to inverted. Looking back it was kind of a fun experiment but given how long I had played with inverted, doomed to fail. I never learned to use SP the right way.

Interestingly though, once I readjusted back to inverted I feel like my BH was better than before the experiment.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

I like this wisdom BRS.
Just wonder if a little bit of grip will help me.

The grippy Nittaku does not seem to be holding back Mima Ito from hitting though.

I only want enough grip to assist me in lifting the ball a little on a slower stroke sometimes.
But more I want a less bouncy short pimple that will be easier to return lower with.

It is hard to return the ball short and low with Spectol Red 1.8 on a carbon blade.
Maybe the other option is back to a 7 ply wood, stiiff and soft.

This is very true and it is why after a year or so I went back to inverted. Looking back it was kind of a fun experiment but given how long I had played with inverted, doomed to fail. I never learned to use SP the right way.

Interestingly though, once I readjusted back to inverted I feel like my BH was better than before the experiment.

Beware of player who wants his SP to play like inverted except on return of serve. :)