Should I switch from Timo Boll ALC to Stiga Carbonado 190

This user has no status.
If you want more control then the Carbonado 45 or 90 would makes sense. The 145 is also a tiny bit slower and (probably more controllable) than the 190 and TB ALC.

Carbonado Black Friday sale at Dandoy! Buy them all! LoL
Is dandoy a reliable source though?

Sent from my COR-AL00 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Maybe it might just the fact that the Mantra rubbers don't go too well with the TB ALC.

What exactly are the differences between the 190 and TB ALC

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Hello there, this is my first post on any forum.

A little background about myself, I've been playing for about 6 years. I transitioned from Yinhe T-11+ to Timo Boll ALC about 8 months ago. My current setup is TB ALC with T05 FH and Mantra M BH. As I've gotten to play with it for sometime I feel that I'm lacking a little control in the blocking and BH punching on faster shots.

AOA, Saim. Me and my friend baalaaj were both using the alc and were having the same problems regarding control, baalaaj switched to the carbando 190 and is having a blast. I havent tried it cuz he's in isl but he's really happy with the change and strongly recommends it. Moreover, the mantra rubbers do not play well on the alc (that's also a problem as some rubbers dont go well with every blade) so you could change the rubbers. Another thing is that I've played with the T 11 and it ahs a completely different feel compared to the alc( alc has numb feel) a carbanado quoting my friend has a crisp feel if that helps.
WA. I've seen you two quite active on FB groups. What does balaaj feel differently about the 190 when compared to the TB ALC

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
WA. I've seen you two quite active on FB groups. What does balaaj feel differently about the 190 when compared to the TB ALC

He feels that the blade is equally fast with better reward especially when blocking and countering with the backhand. His game has significantly got more accurate as well as better since the change. why dont you text me on fb and I'll sed you a couple of vids to help you out.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
He feels that the blade is equally fast with better reward especially when blocking and countering with the backhand. His game has significantly got more accurate as well as better since the change. why dont you text me on fb and I'll sed you a couple of vids to help you out.
Sure

Hello there, this is my first post on any forum.

A little background about myself, I've been playing for about 6 years. I transitioned from Yinhe T-11+ to Timo Boll ALC about 8 months ago. My current setup is TB ALC with T05 FH and Mantra M BH. As I've gotten to play with it for sometime I feel that I'm lacking a little control in the blocking and BH punching on faster shots.

I've seen a lot of reviews and posts about the Carbonado 190, so my question is should I switch my blade to the Carbonado 190k to give me more control in the blocking and short game?

My doubles partner was playing with this exact setup: Carbonado 190 with Mantra H max on both sides. It is a stiff racket and the ball tends to come across very fast, but with a flat trajectory. The stiff blade combined with stiff rubbers makes the racket bouncy and the control game difficult.

He recently switched to a PP Moby (Pro Pro brand made in Taiwan http://ww3.ping-pong.tw/product_info.php?cPath=24_173&products_id=5398, ~ US$128) single ply 9.2 mm thick Kiso Hinoki blade, still using Mantra H on both sides. It is amazing how the same FH or BH drives would come across now with a nice arc, fast topspin, AND even faster speed. So it is totally the effect of the blade. Moreover, he said that with the softer, more flexible blade he can "feel" the ball much better now. His control (short game, over the table pushes, chops, blocks, etc.) is also much improved.

Our analysis (guess) is that the stiff rubber paired with a softer, more flexible blade is just the right combination for a racket.

So my suggestion is instead of switching to another carbon fiber blade, try an all wood blade like the PP Moby. You just may be pleasantly surprised. By the way, there is a glowing review on Revspin.net on this blade. https://revspin.net/blade/pp-moby-kiso-hinoki.html

Of course, like many others have mentioned, to really improve one's game one needs to train and practice hard. The equipment is just a "shortcut" that may help you improve a little.

Good luck, and just enjoy the game!

This user has no status.
My doubles partner was playing with this exact setup: Carbonado 190 with Mantra H max on both sides. It is a stiff racket and the ball tends to come across very fast, but with a flat trajectory. The stiff blade combined with stiff rubbers makes the racket bouncy and the control game difficult.

He recently switched to a PP Moby (Pro Pro brand made in Taiwan http://ww3.ping-pong.tw/product_info.php?cPath=24_173&products_id=5398, ~ US$128) single ply 9.2 mm thick Kiso Hinoki blade, still using Mantra H on both sides. It is amazing how the same FH or BH drives would come across now with a nice arc, fast topspin, AND even faster speed. So it is totally the effect of the blade. Moreover, he said that with the softer, more flexible blade he can "feel" the ball much better now. His control (short game, over the table pushes, chops, blocks, etc.) is also much improved.

Our analysis (guess) is that the stiff rubber paired with a softer, more flexible blade is just the right combination for a racket.

So my suggestion is instead of switching to another carbon fiber blade, try an all wood blade like the PP Moby. You just may be pleasantly surprised. By the way, there is a glowing review on Revspin.net on this blade. https://revspin.net/blade/pp-moby-kiso-hinoki.html

Of course, like many others have mentioned, to really improve one's game one needs to train and practice hard. The equipment is just a "shortcut" that may help you improve a little.

Good luck, and just enjoy the game!

That seems like a really good price for a thick kiso hinoki blade. I’m just wondering if it feels awkward for a shake hand player to use a blade that thick?

That seems like a really good price for a thick kiso hinoki blade. I’m just wondering if it feels awkward for a shake hand player to use a blade that thick?

I had the same concern with racket thickness and with the weight, but my doubles partner seems to have no issue with it. His racket with rubber is approximately 18+ mm and weighs 189 g. I borrowed his racket and tried it myself, and found that adjusting to the slightly thicker and heavier racket doesn't take much effort at all. My current racket (DHS Hurricane Long 5 with Yasaka Valmo rubber on both sides) is 13 mm thick and weighs 175 g. I didn't lose any reaction time or speed.

I am getting a PP Moby blade as well, with FL (flare) handle. I selected a blade that weighs 86 g (actual). I plan to pair it with DHS GoldArc 8, 50 degree hardness max thickness on FH, and 47.5 degree max on BH, due to the great reviews on the rubbers.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
I would 100% disagree, having hated numerous Boll ALCs and loving the one Carbonado 190 I currently have.

Do you feel the 190 too soft because of the Limba + Ayous combination, compared to the Timo Boll ALC Koto + Kiri combination?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Ok, I see the logical flaw in my question. I'll write it differently.
Did you find the Carbonado 190 much softer than the Timo Boll ALC?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Ok, I see the logical flaw in my question. I'll write it differently.
Did you find the Carbonado 190 much softer than the Timo Boll ALC?

I prefer the 190 obviously but I really don't know why. I think the feeling for me is better - not sure it is softer. I would need to try a Boll ALC with similar rubber to be sure.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Hello there, ... so my question is should I switch my blade to the Carbonado 190k ... ?

The answer to all posts that ask "should I switch" or "should I buy" is always Yes. If you want a new blade bad enough to post the question on a forum, then Yes, you must buy one. I think that is one of baal's rules. Maybe even two of them, LOL.

This user has no status.
On the review from Dan with Ovtcharov about his new blade, he says about his lack of control on his old blade and how he was struggling with it. So, if a guy like Dima had problems to control his blade, think about the mortals like us. I see everyday people complaining about speed and wasting their money on super expensive blades like the Butterfly Zhang Jike ZLC but than putting very soft rubbers like the Xiom Omega 7 Euro because their technic is too poor to do good top spins. A friend of mine has a Timo ALC with two Xiom Euro and he is saying that his blade is not “working” anymore because he had to use a little sandpaper on the surface to take the varnish off and that messed too much with the blade’s power.... :rolleyes: