Should I switch from Timo Boll ALC to Stiga Carbonado 190

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Hello there, this is my first post on any forum.

A little background about myself, I've been playing for about 6 years. I transitioned from Yinhe T-11+ to Timo Boll ALC about 8 months ago. My current setup is TB ALC with T05 FH and Mantra M BH. As I've gotten to play with it for sometime I feel that I'm lacking a little control in the blocking and BH punching on faster shots.

I've seen a lot of reviews and posts about the Carbonado 190, so my question is should I switch my blade to the Carbonado 190k to give me more control in the blocking and short game?

Reactions: Wister
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Hello there, this is my first post on any forum.

A little background about myself, I've been playing for about 6 years. I transitioned from Yinhe T-11+ to Timo Boll ALC about 8 months ago. My current setup is TB ALC with T05 FH and Mantra M BH. As I've gotten to play with it for sometime I feel that I'm lacking a little control in the blocking and BH punching on faster shots.

AOA, Saim. Me and my friend baalaaj were both using the alc and were having the same problems regarding control, baalaaj switched to the carbando 190 and is having a blast. I havent tried it cuz he's in isl but he's really happy with the change and strongly recommends it. Moreover, the mantra rubbers do not play well on the alc (that's also a problem as some rubbers dont go well with every blade) so you could change the rubbers. Another thing is that I've played with the T 11 and it ahs a completely different feel compared to the alc( alc has numb feel) a carbanado quoting my friend has a crisp feel if that helps.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Well, that probably shows no two Carbonados are alike, and neither are people´s tastes ;)

Neither are two Boll ALCs. But the point is that the OP has to trst for himself but Carbonado 190 in my.experience is not that far from Boll ALC, blocks slightly better and I prefer the sharper carbon feeling and the limba outer. I think most people would find the handle differences to be the key as the blades are the same sort of thing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
If you want more control then the Carbonado 45 or 90 would makes sense. The 145 is also a tiny bit slower and (probably more controllable) than the 190 and TB ALC.

Carbonado Black Friday sale at Dandoy! Buy them all! LoL

More control isn't always about being slower. It is partly about the feeling of vibration and the outer ply and what your personal preference is.

This user has no status.
More control isn't always about being slower. It is partly about the feeling of vibration and the outer ply and what your personal preference is.

True.

And I’ve only used the 145. I’m just taking a guess that with less Textreme carbon (in the 45 and 90) and the same composition (it’s the same wood as 190, right?) that the blade would have more vibration to help with feedback. Maybe less reactive for certain things too.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
True.

And I’ve only used the 145. I’m just taking a guess that with less Textreme carbon (in the 45 and 90) and the same composition (it’s the same wood as 190, right?) that the blade would have more vibration to help with feedback. Maybe less reactive for certain things too.

Yeah but it would also be markedly slower. I have the 45 and the 145 and for me, they are closer to 5 ply than to carbon. The 145 I did like but it arcs the ball when blocking.

So why don't the best players use all wood blades which are supposedly the most controllable.by this definition of control?

They are the best players because they are past the level of using just wood to have more control. Also, it is obvious i am talking about non pro players since the OP is not a pro.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
They are the best players because they are past the level of using just wood to have more control. Also, it is obvious i am talking about non pro players since the OP is not a pro.

I think sometimes, it is easy to underestimate how much work it can be to use a slower blade, even for amateurs. If someone is training , even if they are non-pro, they are usually better off using something that let's them get good speed with shorter strokes. I think the pro issue is far less important than whether they train.

I think sometimes, it is easy to underestimate how much work it can be to use a slower blade, even for amateurs. If someone is training , even if they are non-pro, they are usually better off using something that let's them get good speed with shorter strokes. I think the pro issue is far less important than whether they train.

With the speed of the newer rubbers right now, even slow blades are not that slow anymore. Also, you can have fast all wood blades that will not make you do much effort. Ever tried using Fextra, Xiom Feel S7, Mazunov, tibhar Force Pro Black, Tibhar SPW, DHS 08, Stiga Ebenholz 7, Stiga Nostalgic 7???

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
With the speed of the newer rubbers right now, even slow blades are not that slow anymore. Also, you can have fast all wood blades that will not make you do much effort. Ever tried using Fextra, Xiom Feel S7, Mazunov, tibhar Force Pro Black, Tibhar SPW, DHS 08, Stiga Ebenholz 7, Stiga Nostalgic 7???

I brought up slower blades with all wood as an example to show that very few people are trying to hit the ball harder with slower blades. I am saying that advocating that someone use a slower blade because it let's them swing harder Is one perspective but the other is that sometime an advanced player needs the blade to do the work. So the issue is not whether you are a pro, but whether you train.

says regularly shitposting
says regularly shitposting
Jul 2019
I've seen a lot of reviews and posts about the Carbonado 190, so my question is should I switch my blade to the Carbonado 190k to give me more control in the blocking and short game?

When you get that itch
just do the switch

But remember, if you change and something else is not right again, stop changing and start training more.

I brought up slower blades with all wood as an example to show that very few people are trying to hit the ball harder with slower blades. I am saying that advocating that someone use a slower blade because it let's them swing harder Is one perspective but the other is that sometime an advanced player needs the blade to do the work. So the issue is not whether you are a pro, but whether you train.

If you read my example and analyzed it correctly you would also see that the blades I have made as an example are not necessarily slow but are fast blades and you can do even short strokes with the above mentioned blades. If now you are saying that the issue is training then it would be disastrous to use blades that are fast without proper training. Again, with the kind of rubbers nowadays, lower level players and not pros would not necessarily switch to super fast blades.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
If you read my example and analyzed it correctly you would also see that the blades I have made as an example are not necessarily slow buy are fast blades and you can do even short strokes with the above mentioned blades. If now you are saying that the issue is training then it woyld be disastrous to use blades that are fast without proper training. Again, with the kind of rubbers nowadays, lower level players and not pros would not necessarily switch to super fast blades.

No problem. I have always said the issue is training and that your blade should reflect style and training hours. So if you are just picking that up now, that is okay.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl