• Join our newsletter: 
  • Welcome Guest


    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 20 of 35
    1. Top | #1
      Muhammad Saim is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: Pakistan


      Join Date
      Jan 2015
      Location
      Pakistan
      Posts
      5
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

      Should I switch from Timo Boll ALC to Stiga Carbonado 190

      Hello there, this is my first post on any forum.

      A little background about myself, I've been playing for about 6 years. I transitioned from Yinhe T-11+ to Timo Boll ALC about 8 months ago. My current setup is TB ALC with T05 FH and Mantra M BH. As I've gotten to play with it for sometime I feel that I'm lacking a little control in the blocking and BH punching on faster shots.

      I've seen a lot of reviews and posts about the Carbonado 190, so my question is should I switch my blade to the Carbonado 190k to give me more control in the blocking and short game?

    2. The Following User Likes Muhammad Saim's Post:

      Wister (11-25-2019)

    3. Top | #2
      Airoc is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Elite TTD Member Country: Germany

      Equipment:
      Blade Gauzy SL
      Forehand Rubber Rasanter R47
      Backhand Rubber Rasanter R47

      Join Date
      Apr 2014
      Posts
      1,052
      Reviews
      Read 3 Reviews
      Liked 724 Times in 433 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Muhammad Saim View Post
      so my question is should I switch my blade to the Carbonado 190k to give me more control in the blocking and short game?
      From what I know, having played numerous ALCs yet only one Carbonado 190, you´d find the Carbonado to be faster and less controlled than the ALC.

    4. Top | #3
      yogi_bear is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Equipment Expert
      Master TTD Member Country: Philippines
      yogi_bear's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Xiom Offensive S; Tmount T540; Xiom Vega Euro
      Forehand Rubber Kokutaku 007 Pro; Hurricane 3; Tibhar MX-S
      Backhand Rubber Xiom Omega 7 Hyper; Stiga DNA H; Joola Maxxx 500

      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Location
      Philippines
      Posts
      3,639
      Reviews
      Read 77 Reviews
      Liked 1,746 Times in 1,115 Posts
      The c190 also has a lower ang longer arc than tb alc

    5. Top | #4
      Mohammad Ahmed is offline
      says Nothings Impossible
       
      TTD Member Country: Pakistan


      Join Date
      Aug 2018
      Posts
      60
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
      [QUOTE=Muhammad Saim;297086]Hello there, this is my first post on any forum.

      A little background about myself, I've been playing for about 6 years. I transitioned from Yinhe T-11+ to Timo Boll ALC about 8 months ago. My current setup is TB ALC with T05 FH and Mantra M BH. As I've gotten to play with it for sometime I feel that I'm lacking a little control in the blocking and BH punching on faster shots.

      AOA, Saim. Me and my friend baalaaj were both using the alc and were having the same problems regarding control, baalaaj switched to the carbando 190 and is having a blast. I havent tried it cuz he's in isl but he's really happy with the change and strongly recommends it. Moreover, the mantra rubbers do not play well on the alc (that's also a problem as some rubbers dont go well with every blade) so you could change the rubbers. Another thing is that I've played with the T 11 and it ahs a completely different feel compared to the alc( alc has numb feel) a carbanado quoting my friend has a crisp feel if that helps.

    6. Top | #5
      NextLevel is online now
      This user has no status.
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Nigeria

      Equipment:
      Blade Stiga Carbonado 190
      Forehand Rubber Tibhar MX-K
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar MX-K

      Join Date
      Oct 2014
      Location
      Somewhere Good in the US
      Posts
      8,324
      Reviews
      Read 16 Reviews
      Liked 12,607 Times in 5,574 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Airoc View Post
      From what I know, having played numerous ALCs yet only one Carbonado 190, you´d find the Carbonado to be faster and less controlled than the ALC.
      I would 100% disagree, having hated numerous Boll ALCs and loving the one Carbonado 190 I currently have.
      Cobra Kai TT Exponent - No mercy in this dojo, no matter your rating or the score. All spin, no power or footwork.

    7. Top | #6
      Airoc is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Elite TTD Member Country: Germany

      Equipment:
      Blade Gauzy SL
      Forehand Rubber Rasanter R47
      Backhand Rubber Rasanter R47

      Join Date
      Apr 2014
      Posts
      1,052
      Reviews
      Read 3 Reviews
      Liked 724 Times in 433 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by NextLevel View Post
      I would 100% disagree, having hated numerous Boll ALCs and loving the one Carbonado 190 I currently have.
      Well, that probably shows no two Carbonados are alike, and neither are people´s tastes

    8. The Following User Likes Airoc's Post:

      dhyeymehta (11-26-2019)

    9. Top | #7
      NextLevel is online now
      This user has no status.
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Nigeria

      Equipment:
      Blade Stiga Carbonado 190
      Forehand Rubber Tibhar MX-K
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar MX-K

      Join Date
      Oct 2014
      Location
      Somewhere Good in the US
      Posts
      8,324
      Reviews
      Read 16 Reviews
      Liked 12,607 Times in 5,574 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Airoc View Post
      Well, that probably shows no two Carbonados are alike, and neither are people´s tastes
      Neither are two Boll ALCs. But the point is that the OP has to trst for himself but Carbonado 190 in my.experience is not that far from Boll ALC, blocks slightly better and I prefer the sharper carbon feeling and the limba outer. I think most people would find the handle differences to be the key as the blades are the same sort of thing.

    10. Top | #8
      BryanY is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Advanced TTD Member Country: United States
      BryanY's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade JOOLA Nobilis PBO-c
      Forehand Rubber JOOLA Rhyzer Pro 50
      Backhand Rubber JOOLA Rhyzer 43

      Join Date
      Feb 2018
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      350
      Reviews
      Read 1 Reviews
      Liked 139 Times in 104 Posts
      If you want more control then the Carbonado 45 or 90 would makes sense. The 145 is also a tiny bit slower and (probably more controllable) than the 190 and TB ALC.

      Carbonado Black Friday sale at Dandoy! Buy them all! LoL

    11. Top | #9
      NextLevel is online now
      This user has no status.
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Nigeria

      Equipment:
      Blade Stiga Carbonado 190
      Forehand Rubber Tibhar MX-K
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar MX-K

      Join Date
      Oct 2014
      Location
      Somewhere Good in the US
      Posts
      8,324
      Reviews
      Read 16 Reviews
      Liked 12,607 Times in 5,574 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by BryanY View Post
      If you want more control then the Carbonado 45 or 90 would makes sense. The 145 is also a tiny bit slower and (probably more controllable) than the 190 and TB ALC.

      Carbonado Black Friday sale at Dandoy! Buy them all! LoL
      More control isn't always about being slower. It is partly about the feeling of vibration and the outer ply and what your personal preference is.

    12. Top | #10
      yogi_bear is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Equipment Expert
      Master TTD Member Country: Philippines
      yogi_bear's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Xiom Offensive S; Tmount T540; Xiom Vega Euro
      Forehand Rubber Kokutaku 007 Pro; Hurricane 3; Tibhar MX-S
      Backhand Rubber Xiom Omega 7 Hyper; Stiga DNA H; Joola Maxxx 500

      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Location
      Philippines
      Posts
      3,639
      Reviews
      Read 77 Reviews
      Liked 1,746 Times in 1,115 Posts
      If the blade is more controllable, you can actually do stronger swings resukting to faster strokes but still have accuracy.

    13. Top | #11
      BryanY is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Advanced TTD Member Country: United States
      BryanY's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade JOOLA Nobilis PBO-c
      Forehand Rubber JOOLA Rhyzer Pro 50
      Backhand Rubber JOOLA Rhyzer 43

      Join Date
      Feb 2018
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      350
      Reviews
      Read 1 Reviews
      Liked 139 Times in 104 Posts

      Should I switch from Timo Boll ALC to Stiga Carbonado 190

      Quote Originally Posted by NextLevel View Post
      More control isn't always about being slower. It is partly about the feeling of vibration and the outer ply and what your personal preference is.
      True.

      And I’ve only used the 145. I’m just taking a guess that with less Textreme carbon (in the 45 and 90) and the same composition (it’s the same wood as 190, right?) that the blade would have more vibration to help with feedback. Maybe less reactive for certain things too.
      Last edited by BryanY; 11-25-2019 at 05:48 PM.

    14. Top | #12
      NextLevel is online now
      This user has no status.
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Nigeria

      Equipment:
      Blade Stiga Carbonado 190
      Forehand Rubber Tibhar MX-K
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar MX-K

      Join Date
      Oct 2014
      Location
      Somewhere Good in the US
      Posts
      8,324
      Reviews
      Read 16 Reviews
      Liked 12,607 Times in 5,574 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by yogi_bear View Post
      If the blade is more controllable, you can actually do stronger swings resukting to faster strokes but still have accuracy.
      So why don't the best players use all wood blades which are supposedly the most controllable.by this definition of control?

    15. Top | #13
      NextLevel is online now
      This user has no status.
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Nigeria

      Equipment:
      Blade Stiga Carbonado 190
      Forehand Rubber Tibhar MX-K
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar MX-K

      Join Date
      Oct 2014
      Location
      Somewhere Good in the US
      Posts
      8,324
      Reviews
      Read 16 Reviews
      Liked 12,607 Times in 5,574 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by BryanY View Post
      True.

      And I’ve only used the 145. I’m just taking a guess that with less Textreme carbon (in the 45 and 90) and the same composition (it’s the same wood as 190, right?) that the blade would have more vibration to help with feedback. Maybe less reactive for certain things too.
      Yeah but it would also be markedly slower. I have the 45 and the 145 and for me, they are closer to 5 ply than to carbon. The 145 I did like but it arcs the ball when blocking.

    16. Top | #14
      yogi_bear is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Equipment Expert
      Master TTD Member Country: Philippines
      yogi_bear's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Xiom Offensive S; Tmount T540; Xiom Vega Euro
      Forehand Rubber Kokutaku 007 Pro; Hurricane 3; Tibhar MX-S
      Backhand Rubber Xiom Omega 7 Hyper; Stiga DNA H; Joola Maxxx 500

      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Location
      Philippines
      Posts
      3,639
      Reviews
      Read 77 Reviews
      Liked 1,746 Times in 1,115 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by NextLevel View Post
      So why don't the best players use all wood blades which are supposedly the most controllable.by this definition of control?
      They are the best players because they are past the level of using just wood to have more control. Also, it is obvious i am talking about non pro players since the OP is not a pro.

    17. Top | #15
      NextLevel is online now
      This user has no status.
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Nigeria

      Equipment:
      Blade Stiga Carbonado 190
      Forehand Rubber Tibhar MX-K
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar MX-K

      Join Date
      Oct 2014
      Location
      Somewhere Good in the US
      Posts
      8,324
      Reviews
      Read 16 Reviews
      Liked 12,607 Times in 5,574 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by yogi_bear View Post
      They are the best players because they are past the level of using just wood to have more control. Also, it is obvious i am talking about non pro players since the OP is not a pro.
      I think sometimes, it is easy to underestimate how much work it can be to use a slower blade, even for amateurs. If someone is training , even if they are non-pro, they are usually better off using something that let's them get good speed with shorter strokes. I think the pro issue is far less important than whether they train.

    18. Top | #16
      yogi_bear is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Equipment Expert
      Master TTD Member Country: Philippines
      yogi_bear's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Xiom Offensive S; Tmount T540; Xiom Vega Euro
      Forehand Rubber Kokutaku 007 Pro; Hurricane 3; Tibhar MX-S
      Backhand Rubber Xiom Omega 7 Hyper; Stiga DNA H; Joola Maxxx 500

      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Location
      Philippines
      Posts
      3,639
      Reviews
      Read 77 Reviews
      Liked 1,746 Times in 1,115 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by NextLevel View Post
      I think sometimes, it is easy to underestimate how much work it can be to use a slower blade, even for amateurs. If someone is training , even if they are non-pro, they are usually better off using something that let's them get good speed with shorter strokes. I think the pro issue is far less important than whether they train.
      With the speed of the newer rubbers right now, even slow blades are not that slow anymore. Also, you can have fast all wood blades that will not make you do much effort. Ever tried using Fextra, Xiom Feel S7, Mazunov, tibhar Force Pro Black, Tibhar SPW, DHS 08, Stiga Ebenholz 7, Stiga Nostalgic 7???

    19. Top | #17
      NextLevel is online now
      This user has no status.
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Nigeria

      Equipment:
      Blade Stiga Carbonado 190
      Forehand Rubber Tibhar MX-K
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar MX-K

      Join Date
      Oct 2014
      Location
      Somewhere Good in the US
      Posts
      8,324
      Reviews
      Read 16 Reviews
      Liked 12,607 Times in 5,574 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by yogi_bear View Post
      With the speed of the newer rubbers right now, even slow blades are not that slow anymore. Also, you can have fast all wood blades that will not make you do much effort. Ever tried using Fextra, Xiom Feel S7, Mazunov, tibhar Force Pro Black, Tibhar SPW, DHS 08, Stiga Ebenholz 7, Stiga Nostalgic 7???
      I brought up slower blades with all wood as an example to show that very few people are trying to hit the ball harder with slower blades. I am saying that advocating that someone use a slower blade because it let's them swing harder Is one perspective but the other is that sometime an advanced player needs the blade to do the work. So the issue is not whether you are a pro, but whether you train.

    20. Top | #18
      JustANoob is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: Luxembourg

      Equipment:
      Blade Xiom Fuga
      Forehand Rubber Friendship/729 Battle II red
      Backhand Rubber Friendship/729 Battle II red

      Join Date
      Jul 2019
      Posts
      88
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Muhammad Saim View Post

      I've seen a lot of reviews and posts about the Carbonado 190, so my question is should I switch my blade to the Carbonado 190k to give me more control in the blocking and short game?
      When you get that itch
      just do the switch

      But remember, if you change and something else is not right again, stop changing and start training more.

    21. Top | #19
      yogi_bear is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Equipment Expert
      Master TTD Member Country: Philippines
      yogi_bear's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Xiom Offensive S; Tmount T540; Xiom Vega Euro
      Forehand Rubber Kokutaku 007 Pro; Hurricane 3; Tibhar MX-S
      Backhand Rubber Xiom Omega 7 Hyper; Stiga DNA H; Joola Maxxx 500

      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Location
      Philippines
      Posts
      3,639
      Reviews
      Read 77 Reviews
      Liked 1,746 Times in 1,115 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by NextLevel View Post
      I brought up slower blades with all wood as an example to show that very few people are trying to hit the ball harder with slower blades. I am saying that advocating that someone use a slower blade because it let's them swing harder Is one perspective but the other is that sometime an advanced player needs the blade to do the work. So the issue is not whether you are a pro, but whether you train.
      If you read my example and analyzed it correctly you would also see that the blades I have made as an example are not necessarily slow but are fast blades and you can do even short strokes with the above mentioned blades. If now you are saying that the issue is training then it would be disastrous to use blades that are fast without proper training. Again, with the kind of rubbers nowadays, lower level players and not pros would not necessarily switch to super fast blades.
      Last edited by yogi_bear; 11-25-2019 at 10:30 PM.

    22. Top | #20
      NextLevel is online now
      This user has no status.
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Nigeria

      Equipment:
      Blade Stiga Carbonado 190
      Forehand Rubber Tibhar MX-K
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar MX-K

      Join Date
      Oct 2014
      Location
      Somewhere Good in the US
      Posts
      8,324
      Reviews
      Read 16 Reviews
      Liked 12,607 Times in 5,574 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by yogi_bear View Post
      If you read my example and analyzed it correctly you would also see that the blades I have made as an example are not necessarily slow buy are fast blades and you can do even short strokes with the above mentioned blades. If now you are saying that the issue is training then it woyld be disastrous to use blades that are fast without proper training. Again, with the kind of rubbers nowadays, lower level players and not pros would not necessarily switch to super fast blades.
      No problem. I have always said the issue is training and that your blade should reflect style and training hours. So if you are just picking that up now, that is okay.

    23. The Following User Likes NextLevel's Post:

      UpSideDownCarl (11-26-2019)

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    Log in or Register
    BACK TO TOP