Propositions for replacing Virtuoso OFF- blade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
My current setup is Virtuoso OFF- with Vega Pro max on both sides.

It's a setup that I've been using for the last 3 years and has worked very well for me, as it helped me improve.

Now I'm looking for a replacement for V-, that has to be SLIGHTLY faster.

I will keep playing with Vega Pro's with the new blade, as I' very happy with these rubbers.

The characteristics that I'm looking from the new blade/setup, are the following:

1. Blade a bit faster than Virtuoso OFF-
2. Good control and good block.
3. A little lower arc than V-
4. Spinny and has to lift easily underspin

I am considering Virtuoso+, but I'm not really sure if it is faster enough and has a lower arc than Virtuoso.
I have an old Butterfly SK7 that i can use, but although it is faster with lower arc it feels a little "dead" and with no feeling at all, compared to Virtuoso.

Please give me blade suggestions, based on the characteristics I'm looking for.

I absolutely HATE carbon, so please your propositions have to be for all-wood blades.
(Interesting enough, the only composite blade that I've tried and liked was Ai Fukuhara Pro ZLF, that is not only discontinued but very expensive as well. From a brief search i've read that ZLF is not exactly carbon, but a type of plastic so all ZLF blades have very similar feeling to all-wood ones)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
I think V+ is a pretty safe bet, the feedback sure remains outstanding. I couldn't speak for sure about the throw, it does remain a typical 5-ply limba and I don't think the throw qualifies as low. Lower than the regular V-... Probably, but I don't know if you would find it "enough". I really like the V'King, but I know some people here find it too hard. You could always go for a 7-ply instead.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2014
Dont... just dont.
You dont know but you're an addict. Osp feeling and control is unmatched. You can't be satisfied with another blade. Try virtuoso + that's ok but not even 7 ply osp blades can deliver the ball feeling that virtuoso does.

Try omega 7 pro or just keep playing with the same setup.

This user has no status.
Good questions! I would suggest you to try OSP VIRTUOSO CRWI UNI OFF as I've been using it for 1 year so far. There more I play, the more I love it. It's definitely faster than V- but still get the feel (of course you have to lose a bit feel because it's faster) :) I did use it with Vega Pro as well and they're perfectly matched.
Cheer,

Reactions: Wister
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Good questions! I would suggest you to try OSP VIRTUOSO CRWI UNI OFF as I've been using it for 1 year so far. There more I play, the more I love it. It's definitely faster than V- but still get the feel (of course you have to lose a bit feel because it's faster) :) I did use it with Vega Pro as well and they're perfectly matched.
Cheer,

Does the virtuoso CRWI is an inner carbon blade (with carbon layer close from the core ?)

Can you give more details about how it feels ? Do you get a larger sweet spot from the carbon, compared to virtuoso ? I'm also curious if you have played other carbon blade, especially BTY innerforce ALC that looks to me to have a similar construction (limba limba ALC ayous VS limba limba carbon samba). Thanks :)

Reactions: quanghuysk
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
Does the virtuoso CRWI is an inner carbon blade (with carbon layer close from the core ?)

Can you give more details about how it feels ? Do you get a larger sweet spot from the carbon, compared to virtuoso ? I'm also curious if you have played other carbon blade, especially BTY innerforce ALC that looks to me to have a similar construction (limba limba ALC ayous VS limba limba carbon samba). Thanks :)

I used the Virtuoso Carbon for a trial period of a week. Didn't really like it.

My impressions: Definitely faster than V- and with lower arc. Not as spinny as V-.
In blocking, you have to close the bat much more than V-, otherwise the ball goes out. Best for mid-distance playing, good away from the table. The feeling is not so "carbonlike", but definitely has that "pok pok" sound of all carbon blades.

This user has no status.
I used the Virtuoso Carbon for a trial period of a week. Didn't really like it.

My impressions: Definitely faster than V- and with lower arc. Not as spinny as V-.
In blocking, you have to close the bat much more than V-, otherwise the ball goes out. Best for mid-distance playing, good away from the table. The feeling is not so "carbonlike", but definitely has that "pok pok" sound of all carbon blades.

Well, in your case I would go for a faster and spinier rubber to keep the feel of V-.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Arkady, the V+ will be fine. Specify the weight you want. I think I already told you that the V+, for me, is the blade I have liked the most of all the blades I have used.

I know you asked me to compare the speed of V- with V+ and I can't because my V- weighs 85 grams (just under) and my V+ weighs 93 grams (just over). So their speeds are very different. But if the weight of your V+ is the same or a gram or 2 heavier than your V-, it will be the right amount faster and it will have a slightly lower throw angle, but not be too different.

I would do that. Or I would stick with what you have if I was you.

This user has no status.

I've used Viscaria (1,5 years) before moving to OSP V CRWI. Love the feel of both but I think V CRWI give me more control than Viscaria, especially with passive blocking. My ball has started landing more on table and I know that I'm going to a right path. Probably if I get my level higher, I will go back for Viscaria again :)

I don't know how to compare sweet spot to V- as I don't have/try it yet but in my team mates in club have Korbel (which have similar construction as V-) and Innerforce ALC BTY. I've tried them both and they are also good blades too. I believe V CRWI has at least equal thing in term of sweet spot.

Reactions: Wister
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
Arkady, the V+ will be fine. Specify the weight you want. I think I already told you that the V+, for me, is the blade I have liked the most of all the blades I have used.

I know you asked me to compare the speed of V- with V+ and I can't because my V- weighs 85 grams (just under) and my V+ weighs 93 grams (just over). So their speeds are very different. But if the weight of your V+ is the same or a gram or 2 heavier than your V-, it will be the right amount faster and it will have a slightly lower throw angle, but not be too different.

I would do that. Or I would stick with what you have if I was you.

Well, the V- that I currently have is about 87gr, and is an ok weight for me.

Should I decide to get the V+, I will ask a weight of no more than 88gr, as I am afraid that if i exceed that number, I will find it too heavy.

The thing is this: According to the specs to the OSP website, V+ and V- have very marginal differences.
V- has a speed of 16 and arc 18, whereas V+ has a speed of 17 and arc of 17.
I am not entirely convinced that such these marginal difference will be noticeable and I don't want a second Virtuoso.
A good solution would be to ask for a heavier V+ of maybe 90-91gr (in which case only the weight difference would make it faster) but I don't know if that would be too heavy...
That's the reason that I am being a bit frustrated about the V+

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018

Should I decide to get the V+, I will ask a weight of no more than 88gr, as I am afraid that if i exceed that number, I will find it too heavy.

The thing is this: According to the specs to the OSP website, V+ and V- have very marginal differences.
V- has a speed of 16 and arc 18, whereas V+ has a speed of 17 and arc of 17.
I am not entirely convinced that such these marginal difference will be noticeable and I don't want a second Virtuoso.
A good solution would be to ask for a heavier V+ of maybe 90-91gr (in which case only the weight difference would make it faster) but I don't know if that would be too heavy...
That's the reason that I am being a bit frustrated about the V+

I'm wondering exactly the same thing actually. I find the V-crwi very tempting but maybe the V+ would indeed be more than enough. Have you considerate the ultimate II ? It's a 7 ply and i have heard it is very similar to virtuoso but faster, less flexible, still good spin and better blocking.

I just them an email about how to select between V+, V-crwi and U2. It may be interesting to get their opinions on it :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018

[...]

I’m pretty sure that 3g would not make that big of a difference. It is less than one more layer of glue both sides. it’s just a matter of getting used to it.

Also, if it is a well balanced blade, you will not feel it being heavy. And I have a strong impression that the OSP dude can deal with this pretty well.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I will simply say again, the best blade I have ever used is the V+. I have a V-; I have a V'King; I have a custom blade from OSP that is Limba-Spruce-Ayous-Spruce-Limba. They all feel good. But I have never used anything that feels close to as good as my V+. And my guess is, there is more difference between V- and V+ than their numbers indicate.

And definitely, 90 grams from 87 would not be a big weight difference. But the same weight would probably still have the speed difference you are looking for. An extra 2-3 grams would just be insurance. Another thing to remember, blades that are slightly heavier, the wood feels better on contact. And unless you are not strong, or have a wrist, elbow or shoulder injury, a blade of 90 grams is really not very heavy.

Other options are the Korbel and the Acoustic or even the Tenor.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
I'm wondering exactly the same thing actually. I find the V-crwi very tempting but maybe the V+ would indeed be more than enough. Have you considerate the ultimate II ? It's a 7 ply and i have heard it is very similar to virtuoso but faster, less flexible, still good spin and better blocking.

I just them an email about how to select between V+, V-crwi and U2. It may be interesting to get their opinions on it :)

Well, I wouldn't suggest V-CRWi unless you have previous experience with carbon blades and you liked them.
Carbon just feels "dead" compared to an all-wood blade, especially to Virtuoso that has an incomparable feeling and touch.

Actually I haven't considered Ultimate II. I will take a look at it, although i would prefer a 5ply blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
I will simply say again, the best blade I have ever used is the V+. I have a V-; I have a V'King; I have a custom blade from OSP that is Limba-Spruce-Ayous-Spruce-Limba. They all feel good. But I have never used anything that feels close to as good as my V+. And my guess is, there is more difference between V- and V+ than their numbers indicate.

And definitely, 90 grams from 87 would not be a big weight difference. But the same weight would probably still have the speed difference you are looking for. An extra 2-3 grams would just be insurance. Another thing to remember, blades that are slightly heavier, the wood feels better on contact. And unless you are not strong, or have a wrist, elbow or shoulder injury, a blade of 90 grams is really not very heavy.

Other options are the Korbel and the Acoustic or even the Tenor.

Well, you intrigue me that's a fact. Given the fact that you're an experienced player and you've noticed a considerable difference between V- and V+, I think I will go for it.

I didn't really liked Acoustic, terrible handle and a bit faster than i would like.
I tried Korbel (the Japan made, not the Hungarian) a few years back but I was inexperienced at the time and maybe didn't appreciated enough...
Never heard of the Tenor.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Well, you intrigue me that's a fact. Given the fact that you're an experienced player and you've noticed a considerable difference between V- and V+, I think I will go for it.

I didn't really liked Acoustic, terrible handle and a bit faster than i would like.
I tried Korbel (the Japan made, not the Hungarian) a few years back but I was inexperienced at the time and maybe didn't appreciated enough...
Never heard of the Tenor.

If Acoustic was too fast, Tenor would not be what you want. It is one step faster.

I do think it would be worth trying the V+. I could be wrong. But I have a feeling that is most likely exactly what you want.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
If Acoustic was too fast, Tenor would not be what you want. It is one step faster.

I do think it would be worth trying the V+. I could be wrong. But I have a feeling that is most likely exactly what you want.

I'll get it maybe next month and will keep you posted. But I also have a feeling that I will like it.

This user has no status.
Have you tried pairing the latest 50+ ESN rubber with your V-? I'm currently using R53 with my Acoustic and I'm able to deliver nastier shots than I was able to with D05 and Long 5. Anyway, if you like the feel of V-, I'd avoid anything with a carbon layer. I've tried numerous blades but I keep coming back to Acoustic.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
Have you tried pairing the latest 50+ ESN rubber with your V-? I'm currently using R53 with my Acoustic and I'm able to deliver nastier shots than I was able to with D05 and Long 5. Anyway, if you like the feel of V-, I'd avoid anything with a carbon layer. I've tried numerous blades but I keep coming back to Acoustic.

Well, I was actually considering the new Tibhar Evolution MX-P 50°, but I'm afraid that it would be very hard, totally unforgiving and completely uncontollable... Don't know, I will await more feedback before I give it a try...