Hugo Calderano's equipment revealed

Did I offended you somehow Yogi? If I did I do apologize. I just wanted to know if you are sure that Hugo uses Pro 7 with just special boosting.

Ps. I have enjoyed your reviews but I really didn’t like the tone of your reply.

When someone is asking you with honesty maybe it means they are asking you honestly. And no i am not offended nor also trying to convey anything except to ask.

This user has no status.
On Austrian Open, two weeks ago, Hugo was still using Omega 7 Tour. As you can see on the picture below:

View attachment 20246

Checking on ITTFs LARC, Omega 7 Tour is listed under number 059, while Omega 7 Asia is 058.
Yeah this is accurate, I check every pro's rubbers during the tournaments. Ugo has never played with omega 7 asia. This photo confirms it.

Yeah this is accurate, I check every pro's rubbers during the tournaments. Ugo has never played with omega 7 asia. This photo confirms it.

Mind you, what you see is not what you always think it is. I just cannot disclose anything more. There are 2 things here, I am wrong and the people from Xiom are wrong ir you think you are correct,

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Xiom says Hugo uses Omega 7 Tour, its the newest rubber from than and also the expensivest one. Someone really thinks they would say:” Hugo uses Omega 7 Asia thats cheaper, so you don’t have to spend more money on the Tour version but to be honest his rubber is customized on every way and you can’t even buy on the market something closer”.

Come on guys, on FZ’s blade stiga says its a Viscaria with Stiga handle?

Xiom says Hugo uses Omega 7 Tour, its the newest rubber from than and also the expensivest one. Someone really thinks they would say:” Hugo uses Omega 7 Asia thats cheaper, so you don’t have to spend more money on the Tour version but to be honest his rubber is customized on every way and you can’t even buy on the market something closer”.

Come on guys, on FZ’s blade stiga says its a Viscaria with Stiga handle?

I have that rubber on the picture and it is anything but an Omega Tour 7

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
yup, it’s not like us mere mortals would necessarily benefit from using the same gear anyways.

Not exactly the way I would put it. But for all we know, it could be a Cornilleau rubber with stamps modified for Xiom sponsorship. Equipment is all a matter of preference, and there is a lot of homogeniety across brands. Choose what you like, not what someone else uses.

If you want to take a trip down memory lane, Deng Yaping was "told" to use DHS gear, but she preferred 729 to PF4, so 729 made her the same rubber using their "competitor"'s label machine.

Or was it DHS took 729's rubber formula and stamped their name on it. One or the other...dotage is a b*tch!

Welcome to the real world.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
The question is, why even bother with homologation and all that. I know the cynical answer (ITTF won't pay for itself, etc) but while people are mostly okay with turning a blind eye on customised sponge hardnesses and somewhat divided when it comes to boosting, this is yet another level. What is even the point in LARC numbering if you can stamp whatever you fancy on any given rubber?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
The question is, why even bother with homologation and all that. I know the cynical answer (ITTF won't pay for itself, etc) but while people are mostly okay with turning a blind eye on customised sponge hardnesses and somewhat divided when it comes to boosting, this is yet another level. What is even the point in LARC numbering if you can stamp whatever you fancy on any given rubber?

Because manufacturers need to make money. For sponsored players, they can guarantee the exact same hardness, weight, friction properties every time. Or to satisfy those who are sponsored but prefer other people's rubbers.

But for off-the line rubbers, variations are huge (I have never bought 2 sheets of the exact same properties. When your kids dinner depends on your prize money, it matters, but for us, who cares?

This user has no status.
Because manufacturers need to make money. For sponsored players, they can guarantee the exact same hardness, weight, friction properties every time. Or to satisfy those who are sponsored but prefer other people's rubbers.

But for off-the line rubbers, variations are huge (I have never bought 2 sheets of the exact same properties. When your kids dinner depends on your prize money, it matters, but for us, who cares?

Good point!

Yogi, I believe Caxoera was trying to say that people should believe you :)

Well, tour and asia rubbers are priced the same. I am just saying it has nothing to do with marketing.

Reactions: bricec