Men's World Cup 2019

mrk

This user has no status.

mrk

This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Great game from both players, Fan Zhendong with superior power but a very good tournament and match from Harimoto nonetheless.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
You gotta wonder what they were thinking. The JNT is still behind the KNT when it comes to grit.

Didn't call TO in G4. Didn't call TO in G5. Only to call TO at 5:4 in G6. I mean...

SalNtSn.jpg

jaPZbLi.jpg

nyojnOT.jpg

fCZc8sS.jpg

blZy6FU.jpg

A2S66iB.jpg

IP7at7e.jpg

e1Rzoco.jpg

Q2rNH2f.jpg

UEvw24U.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
I think Making these decisions aren't easy for the coaches, it's perfectly normal for him not to call the timeout at 5-2 cos even though a 3 point lead isn't big against FZD or any other top player, Kurashima may have been hoping that there'll probably be a spoil of points on both sides from then on and the three point lead will be enough so he can use the timeout in the very important 7th set, at 5-3 it's trickier, And I think it was Tomokazu's turn to serve, Both players were scoring well on their serves so Kurashima may have thought that the at least Tomokazu gets one of these 2 points and keep the lead.
There's actually no assurance that if he'd called the timeout at 5-2 or 5-3, it'll have stopped the bleeding , Fan isn't No 1 for no reason, He won a huge slew of points in a row too in the fifth set, Thing is if Kurashima called the TO at 5-2 and Tomokazu lost the set, Folks would have blamed the coach for calling it too early,

Reactions: JeffM
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think FZD lost little bit of focus after leading in the first set. As FZD himself told in the interview it made a difference in the final scoreline. Otherwise FZD was playing phenomenally well throughout. Power , agility and consistency all came together perfectly. Benhzi did not do too bad either but FZD power ride just swept him away.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
I think ML should have started his comeback in a lesser imp World tour event than directly in World Cup if he really wanted to make a good reentry. Bad decision on ML and CNT part regarding this.

This maybe shows the seriousness of his injuries, because they are highly selective about his tournaments...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
I am glad that FZD has returned to his prime. It still bothers me that FZD lacks creativity at this pro level. His primary placement is still on Harimoto's BH knowing that this young boy has the best BH in the world.

Ma Long and Xu Xin know how to get Harimoto running by placing long/short, left/right shots with different spin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
I didn't think he was so predictable, compared to the earlier full-on chiquita-and-hammer-all version of his game. He did vary his pace, shot selection and playing distance from the table. Got a number of winners to HT's wide forehand and had rallies where he was content with steady returns which were powerful by most standards, but not high-risk blasts or placements at any cost (I feel he grew more into soaking in the pressure and getting ready for those deadly off the bounce counters, as the match went on). In this respect, Harimoto showed in this and previous matches he could handle almost anything, in terms of third
and fifth-ball routines. You could see the mental factor and consistency had FZD's attention more than quick reliance on tactics, in my opinion. Even when he exchanged with his coach he seemed more focused on staying "in the zone", almost Ito-style (not saying the execution was the same, actually rather the opposite of the point I am trying to make, from this point of view). I have a feeling that for now his emphasis is on becoming as full-rounded and steady as can be, while he may return to more incisive play (again, by his out-of-this-world standards) once he has bridged all the gaps.

Last edited:
I am glad that FZD has returned to his prime. It still bothers me that FZD lacks creativity at this pro level. His primary placement is still on Harimoto's BH knowing that this young boy has the best BH in the world.

Ma Long and Xu Xin know how to get Harimoto running by placing long/short, left/right shots with different spin.

I actually think FZD played this correctly. ML and XX aren't super quick close to the table the way FZD can be.
I think FZD feels (correctly or incorrectly) that his BH is a match for TH's, and he simply doesn't need to play around it, knowing that as long as he wasn't put into a position of huge disadvantage, his overall more complete game will win out regardless.

I feel like FZD was only under threat because of his classic 'slow to warm up' where he played well, but eventually made errors when placed under pressure many shots in a row. Once he got into his flow, he then dominated the latter part of the game.

I feel like FZD has a history of this stubborn (maybe even slightly arrogant) approach to tactics. He plays close to the table against LGY and far from the table against LJK. It almost seems like he believes (rightly or wrongly) that he can dominate other players at their own game. Sometimes it works out, like against LGY who has become his whipping boy, sometimes it doesn't, like against LJK who keeps knocking him out of big competitions.

I think FZD correctly stuck to his own game, stay in rhythm and simply demand that TH get on his level. The onus was on TH to tactically play around FZD if he wanted to win.While TH did very well in the first half of the game, FZD's approach, I feel, was vindicated in the end. As it turns out, TH simply isn't on his level yet.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Did anyone notice the newly introduced Hawkeye system?

At 1-2, 2-2 in the ML vs LYJ match, the Hawkeye shows that this is an edge ball and it should have be given to ML. However, neither ML nor LYJ claimed it since it was too faint.

cache.php
cache.php

only if this technology will be itttf approved in the future the umpire will be allowed to rely on if needed. the rules for this arent set yet afaik