Handles! It is all in the handles!!

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I have come to the conclusion that the key to getting better at table tennis is all in the handle.
Too thin, too fat - is no good!
Wings too wide or too narrow is no good.

I have a strange grip and when the handle is not right it really effects my shots, especially looping.

I love the force pro blue but the wings are too wide.

I love the handle on the Yinhe M202, i can twiddle easily. I also think because the wings are a little narrower I hold the bat looser and get more spin.

So do i risk sanding the wings of the Force Pro Blue down or will it destroy the blades stiffness.

Reactions: BeGo
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
The handle is not the key to getting better at table tennis, it's one element that can be important as it affects your grip.

It took me a while to find the right grip and with that the type of handles that feel good, as well as the right amount of sanding on some of my blades.

Many manufacturers like Butterfly and Stiga do not round of smooth their wings and edges because they expect the players to do it themselves to their liking. Top players and pros do it and it's a regular practice in Japan...

I recommend you send your wings, start by smoothing them just a little, try your blade again, repeat as needed, round them if you need, stop when it's comfortable. It will not destroy the blade's stiffness or any of its characteristics other than make your grip more comfortable.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
ST vs FL is also a quite important aspect. It's taken me about 1 year to finally come to terms with being unable to having a relaxed grip FL. ST has some downsides for me (especially when looping) but I gain so much in terms of serving and pretty much any BH stroke making it worth the trade off.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Read 2 reviews
handles all wrong

​yes lots trouble and bodges on my handles , did not like any flare digs into my palm too thin neck but is stable .. straight felt like it was always slipping not relaxed slipping swing . l altered a force arc gewo handle by glueing veneers 4 on the flats .got a handle l loved a anatomic sort of shape quite fat 10.5mm circumference at the end .. but it put 10gms on the handle made it so head light . l now use ST with tennis grips [l played tennis for over 30 years before table tennis] , one grip is cut and does 3 regrips ] l see most professional players with ST handles use grip tape it only adds 1.5gms in weight Vladi . Aruna etc exceptions are Timo and Dima took me the last 3 years of experimenting to sort my handle out ..... tennis handles are sold in 6 diff sizes !!! most brands of blades do only ST or Flare, no size details , no idea if the handle fits you till you try it thats been my hard fought experience ...
I have come to the conclusion that the key to getting better at table tennis is all in the handle.
Too thin, too fat - is no good!
Wings too wide or too narrow is no good.

I have a strange grip and when the handle is not right it really effects my shots, especially looping.

I love the force pro blue but the wings are too wide.

I love the handle on the Yinhe M202, i can twiddle easily. I also think because the wings are a little narrower I hold the bat looser and get more spin.

So do i risk sanding the wings of the Force Pro Blue down or will it destroy the blades stiffness.

Reactions: MOG

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I will have to sand 1 to 2mm off the wings of force pro to get it right, i think this affects the rigidity of blade.
Might as well try and get used to my avalox p700

The handle is not the key to getting better at table tennis, it's one element that can be important as it affects your grip.

It took me a while to find the right grip and with that the type of handles that feel good, as well as the right amount of sanding on some of my blades.

Many manufacturers like Butterfly and Stiga do not round of smooth their wings and edges because they expect the players to do it themselves to their liking. Top players and pros do it and it's a regular practice in Japan...

I recommend you send your wings, start by smoothing them just a little, try your blade again, repeat as needed, round them if you need, stop when it's comfortable. It will not destroy the blade's stiffness or any of its characteristics other than make your grip more comfortable.

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I bought a straight Force pro blue as I thought it might be easier to twiddle, but i forgot about the wingsfeeling bigger.

I think I should risk sanding is it as I like the way the blade plays and often end up going back to it. It seems to be balanced between looping and driving for me.

Just about loopy enough, but solid enough for short pimples on bh.

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I can't do that. When I hold the blade it feels uncomfortable and i look at my hand and blade every time i miss a shot, then it becomes a negative and a focal point for me.
It is too distracting, it might be better just to try the P700 and I have access to a Korbel SK7, one of which must be similar enough.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
It's Ok to sand your blade. Just sayin.
cache.php

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
It's about the width of the neck where I hold and how I hold the blade.

If it is narrower there I can hold it looser and then loop better, might be worth the risk as I love this blade in play.
Very well balanced between power and control and stiffness for looping when you swing hard and smash straight!
Plays very well with tenergy funnily enough even in 1.9 on forehand.

I don't know really. I've just noticed your ultimately deep grip, which you refuse to change and for which you need blades with narrow neck. On the other hand your son has a grip with witch he doesn't touch the neck at all.
Thats why I thought he'll be good with that blade, but if he doesn't like it than its not an offer.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
It's about the width of the neck where I hold and how I hold the blade.

If it is narrower there I can hold it looser and then loop better, might be worth the risk as I love this blade in play.
Very well balanced between power and control and stiffness for looping when you swing hard and smash straight!
Plays very well with tenergy funnily enough even in 1.9 on forehand.

No risk really, just do a little bit at first and try the blade. You'll see that it'll already be more comfortable with just a bit of sending then you'll want to do it some more.

I thought it was risky at first then realized it's what I must do for it to feel perfect in my hand. Someone on here wrote before that Butterfly expects its customers to sand its blades to their liking, and seing how much the Japanese do it to their blades, I believe that to be true.

A French Top 400 player (ex Top 50) told me he has to send several parts of his blades before using them and that it's no brainer for many top level players since they understand what feels good to them and are confortable doing what it takes which is only a bit of sanding.

I don't think you'll regret it! Quite the contrary.

Last edited:
That would work, it's not that much.

Remember however, that it's more about rounding the edges because if you just sand straight and keep the current shape, you'll still get the same issue just higher.

I used a sander once and it was good.