Forehand difficulty

This user has no status.
Hey guys, so I have this big problem with my forehand I'm using hl5 and mxp for my forehand and I feel like I struggle getting the ball across the net most of the time. I'm good w the backhand but the forehand is really painful. I used to play w OTC blade and acuda p1 turbo. Why does that massive difference happen despite using a harder setup and how to fix it. Thanks

Hey guys, so I have this big problem with my forehand I'm using hl5 and mxp for my forehand and I feel like I struggle getting the ball across the net most of the time. I'm good w the backhand but the forehand is really painful. I used to play w OTC blade and acuda p1 turbo. Why does that massive difference happen despite using a harder setup and how to fix it. Thanks

If you’ve just recently changed your setup then that’s most likely the problem, (I’m guessing) since you’ve provided almost no details about your skill level/experience/playing style, etc. There will be an adjustment period for sure. Please elaborate more on why/how your fh is painful. Struggling to get the ball across the net? Meaning the ball goes in the net when you return the ball with a fh drive or loop? It’s hard to suggest you some help when forum members have little information to refer to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Video would help :| Maybe table tennis gods should order so that everyone who asks technical question should show their technique on video and state their skill level (descriptively).

Video would help not only help to diagnose the problem, but It would actually help you too. As far as I remember Dan stated in his last video with useful tips, that watching yourself on the video might help find issues, since what you think you are doing might not be the same what you are actually doing. I've done it myself and it helped a lot.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Ok I'll try to make a video tip. But to answer a bit of the problem I can tell I'm not that good of a Player I'm mainly below intermediate but if I can tell one thing for sure with the same technique my previous slower setup was better. Do you think it has anything to do with hl5 being an innerforce type blade making it need more effort?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Do you think it has anything to do with hl5 being an innerforce type blade making it need more effort?

I think you will answer that question for yourself when you adjust to new setup ;) Try doing forehand drives until you adjust. I do it every time I try new things. It takes me about 10-15 minutes. (I also do warm up with old setup, i know that is not ideal but it helps me get up and running quicker) Also the thing I do during adjustment and warmup, I over do leg and flunk movements. Someone told me to do so, can't remember who and why, but it does help somewhat to make my muscles remember.

From my very very limited experience with fiber blades it might be true.

Last edited:

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
How long ago did you switch setups? If it was two days ago that's different from two months.

And do you still have your old otc/acuda bat? If you switch back does the fh problem go away?

This user has no status.
If you're below intermediate level then I think your setup is way too fast and that is most likely what is throwing off your technique. Fast blade and fast rubber both take away from control and consistency unless you're at a high level already. I'd suggest slower rubber for awhile if possible, otherwise you might have a hard time improving as a player.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think you Will have a harder time getting the ball over the net with harder equipment. Softer slower blades and softer rubbers give you more arc so far i know. Harder blade and the ball leaves faster and more straight and harder rubber Do not help you with the soft sponge.

Reactions: thekleifheit13
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Just keep playing with it. Like Yogi said, open up your racket angle a bit. You will figure it out if you keep playing.