What blade and rubbers do you use? Why?

This user has no status.
I use all Gambler equipment, mostly because I respect the company and admire that a small shop in the US took it upon themselves to design TT equipment. Also, because their equipment is very inexpensive but quality is good - my whole setup cost $55 and came with a sweet T shirt.

I use a Hinoki IM8 blade, Burst Thor's Hammer on FH and Nine Ultra Tack on BH. The blade has a graphite layer but feels like an all wood blade on most shots. Hinoki outer plies make loops feel freaking awesome. The FH rubber is very hard but very spinny, and the BH rubber is a little softer but similarly spinny. I like a setup that's slow enough for me to control and allows for a lot of spin potential because I rely on serves and spinny loops, and find that I beat myself with inconsistency way more often than my opponents beat me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
+1 For gambler. I have fire dragon touch and burst thor hammer on the stockpile waiting to be glued. Sourcing them in Europe is pain in the arse. You basically have to pay 5$ to ship it to someone you know in US, then spend yet another 5$ for Vodka bottle for that someone to bring it into the country. Quality is great from what I've seen, can't speak how they play though. Only thing I don't like about the blade is it has teeny-tiny handle though.

For now I am using Appelgren Allplay Senso v2, because it has the best feeling in the allround blade category in my price range. (I've played at least at 10 minutes with Friendship C-3, Butterfly Timo Boll allround thingy, stiga allround classic, yinhe allround blade name i don't remember) But "I've still haven't found what I am looking for". If I will find a blade which feels like my appelgren allplay, but doesn't requires so much effort to loop kill I will stick with it.

This user has no status.
+1 For gambler. I have fire dragon touch and burst thor hammer on the stockpile waiting to be glued. Sourcing them in Europe is pain in the arse. You basically have to pay 5$ to ship it to someone you know in US, then spend yet another 5$ for Vodka bottle for that someone to bring it into the country. Quality is great from what I've seen, can't speak how they play though. Only thing I don't like about the blade is it has teeny-tiny handle though.

I have to say I'm impressed with the consistency of their sheets of rubber and blades. Haven't had an odd one yet and I've gone through a bunch. Surprised about the handle, the one on my IM8 is pretty good and I have big hands.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Blade:
I just picked up the Gambler Fire Dragon Fast in penhold. I've had the Fire Dragon Touch for 3+ years and quite honestly it's a nice quality blade for a small investment. I've said time & time again that the I put the quality of my Fire Dragon Touch right next there equal to my Stiga Clipper. Now they play way differently but the quality & finish is very impressive from Gambler.

Anyways, while I like the touch, I'm trying out the Fast for similar feel but a slight speed increase.

Rubbers:
If I want Chinese Tacky, H3 Neo is king for me. Not much investment and good performance.
I also dabble in some Long Pips from time to time and while they're all pretty similar, I generally like Palio ck531a as that is the best well rounded LP I've seen. Chopping, hittinng, etc. Can do pretty much whatever you want with it.

This user has no status.
I’ve been leaning towards JOOLA equipment lately because my club is sponsored by JOOLA and all the latest equipment is usually available to test and tryout.

Blade: JOOLA Nobilis PBO-c. The soft hinoki plies have great control for short touch play (especially for an OFF/OFF+ blade). Also the handle is extremely comfortable for me.

FH Rubber: Rhyzer Pro 50. I like the low throw and its also very linear. (Demands good technique though)

BH Rubber: Rhyzer 43. Fastest medium soft rubber that I have used. (Not sure if I will stick with it though).

This user has no status.
I'm a penhold player who recently evolved from an single-sided-rubber tpb cpen setup to the modern penhold style with a surprisingly serviceable rpb.

Blade: Yasaka Extra Offensive 7 Power
FH: Rakza 7 max
BH: Rakza 7 Soft max
Weight: 182g

The thinness of the blade made it easier to rpb even with max sponges. Initially, the blade felt a touch fast but it's predictable and it didn't take long to get used to the speed. The short game and blocks are clean, and while brush looping is deadly, it requires precise engagement.

To further optimize for rpb, I chose Rakza 7 rubbers for their relatively light weight. Furthermore, R7s's soft sponge matches well with my backhand arm speed and generates a decent amount of spin.

Reactions: Keven702
says former JPEN, now CPEN
says former JPEN, now CPEN
Aug 2019
currently using Nittaku Rorin jpen and Nittaku Fastarc G-1

i dont really have much to say on why i use them other than ive paid for them :D

rorin is the most expensive blade in my possession, it is also a 1-ply hinoki. so naturally, i will favour my rorin more than my other blades ive stashed.

fastarc g-1 on the other hand is a christmas gift from my dad. fastarc g-1 is one of my dream rubbers, and after 1 session with it i can say that its a dream come true ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
OSP Musko - the feel is just amazing, solid 7 plies, no hollow feel, good touch in the short game and fast enough when I hit hard. Also, good at blocks and loops.
MX-P 50 / MX-S - good in the short game, but I'll probably switch to something lighter, they are too heavy.

Usually I want a setup good for serve, serve return and opening loops. Dwell time and low gears is a must.

This user has no status.
BLADE: Timo Boll Alc, because I like carbon and because this blade is the more similar to my old blade nittaku shake off

FH RUBBER: tenergy05, yes I know is more expensive than ESN rubbers, but Its spin, control, speed durability and the easy to do top spin or drive make this rubber better than the others one yeti

BH RUBBER: Rozena because is easy to use, for its control and spin. It helps in every situation and feel confident yourself in top spin and drive