Transition from 5ply to Carbon blade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Hey guys, just wanted to get some of your opinions on these blades and how they'd work out as my first carbon (penhold) blade.

-Nittaku Acoustic Carbon Inner
-Stiga Carbonado 45
-Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
-DHS Power G5X

I'm currently using Stiga Offensive wood NCT, it's a 5ply, I believe its limba-spruce-ayous and I really like the flex and touch of limba, but I'd like to adventure out into trying composite blades, something I've shied away from before both because of my budget aswell as my fear of ruining my technique with something too fast for me.

So...which one? any thoughts? The Acoustic and Carbonado are quite pricy ($165), are they really worth it or should I just go for the cheaper ($40-$45) Yasaka/DHS one??

Don't want any huge increase in speed if it takes away good control of the ball

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Yasaka Ma Lin Soft Carbon or Carbonado 45 shouldn't be too excessive.

Even so, it will be stiffer and faster with less feel than your Stiga Offensive. Try your club mates' composite blades to see if you like the feel first.

Reactions: Ren22

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Ma lin soft carbon (or a donic waldner senso carbon for shakehanders) are carbon fleece blades that are slightly faster than five-ply and don't have the carbon !ping! feel to them.

My personal opinion on inner carbon blades is that they feel like all wood, but have a sharp crossover point where the catapult or whatever you want to call it changes from woodish to carbonish. It's not linear. I don't like that and preferred to seitch to an outer carbon where the speed is overall higher but still linear. YMMV

The acoustic carbin inner has a different form of carbon unique to Nittaku, I forgot what they call it. It's quite soft compared to ALC, so if you like it the extra cost is worth it. After all you may have the blade for years, and they resell. Full disclosure: i use an acoustic outer carbon and am biased in favor of nittaku gear.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Just curious... Have you experiment with 7 ply wood blades?

I haven't considered it too much. Looked at the Avalox P700 and the Clipper but they seem too stiff and thick for me to feel comfortable with them. Thought about trying the DHS PG7 'cause it's a cheaper alternative and just to get the experience for a while.

Should I try one as a transition into carbon blades??

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
I don’t like carbon blades yet since I don’t have the skill to use it, but the one I felt really comfortable with was the SK Carbon. Really nice blade.

Hadn't heard of that blade, looked into it, seems like it isn't too fast. It's a 3+2 blade, which I hadn't really considered, but Butterfly is advertising it as a transition blade and it isn't as pricy as the acoustic or carbonado so maybe I'll give it a try. It's also quite thin apparently so it's gives me hopes of it having good flex.

Thanks for the recommendation

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Hmm, here is where subjectivity comes in. I personnaly found the P700 and Clipper "not stiff enough". I would say most composites are more or atleast as stiff as the P700.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2014
Ma lin carbon or silver carbon would be fine.
You should go with the inner carbon type of blades. Outer carbon blades are just an other world.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
I haven't considered it too much. Looked at the Avalox P700 and the Clipper but they seem too stiff and thick for me to feel comfortable with them. Thought about trying the DHS PG7 'cause it's a cheaper alternative and just to get the experience for a while.

Should I try one as a transition into carbon blades??

If you change your mind about composites, give the Donic Persson Powerplay a try. Thinner and more flexible than p700. One of the best feeling, slightly flexible yet still solid blades I've come across. Not too fast.

This user has no status.
I feared down to the Perrson Power Play for a year and I improved consistency.

Coincidence?

Meez thinks not.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Just curious... do you know what the second ply of the powerplay is made of? I read something about it being compressed paper “foil” ???

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
If you change your mind about composites, give the Donic Persson Powerplay a try. Thinner and more flexible than p700. One of the best feeling, slightly flexible yet still solid blades I've come across. Not too fast.

Duuude, I think I might just try it out. Looked into it. I like that it's thinner than other 7ply, seems like it's limba-ayous-ayous-ayous which seems like something I would like, it's probably felxy but sturdier than my 5ply blades. It's also very affordable, I'll get it and see how it feels, thanks!!!

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I think in general, if you want to try a carbon blade, you need to be someone who has stable technique and trains a lot and you also need to use something that you know is different and why you are using it. To me, none of the blades you listed give you the carbon experience so I am not sure why you want to use them. A real carbon blade is a Boll ALC or Carbonado 145/190. Usually if you want to try a new blade, commit to using it for a month and make it significantly different from what you have used prior.

For me personally, I think the biggest thing that helped me use a carbon blade was using a 5 ply Mazunov for a period of time. After that, Carbon blades didn't feel as stiff.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Used and loved the Mazunov for about 20 years! Just transitioned to a DHS Fang Bo B2 for about 2 months with the same rubbers.

Did anyone notice gaining speed while losing spin after transitioning to carbon? Is this an inevitable compromise or are there better blades?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk