Same equipment for everyone, what would it be?

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
In another thread gwenved made a brilliant suggestion that, since equipment doesn't matter, everyone in the world could standardize on one blade and a choice of two rubbers. Like they do in sandpaper, or hardbat, or big ball. I love the idea, and it started me thinking about how it could work. It can't be a $150 butterfly bat or that would price out most of the world. Same with rubbers, no dignics or national blue sponge h3. And it wouldn't be right to eliminate defense, or para, or any whole classes of players.

So if ITTF put you in charge of choosing the only one blade and two rubbers allowed in the entire world, what would you choose?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
But for some players the fun is in changing blades and rubbers thinking that the next version will be the ideal set up. Some people think that they can win by outspending other players or using dodgy rubbers (pimples). Some people even enjoy advising other players on rubbers on blades on table tennis forums.

These people would not enjoy having just one set up.

Reactions: bobpuls
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Good intention. But the way you put it is just a rephrase of "what's the best equipment?", lol. There is enough trolls in the other topics already.

BTW, my gear is better than everyne else's. But not as good as yours.

Last edited:

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
No, it has nothing to do with what is the best eqipment. Here is my example and maybe that will do better than my crap explanation.

Blade: Sanwei M8
Rubbers: Sanwei T88i OR
Dawei 388 d1

Any sponge thickness and obviously you can have 2x inverted or inverted and LP.

Logic is the blade is fast enough for offense but controlled enough for beginners, and also to play defense with. The main rubber criteria is price, since they have to be replaced. A setup made from these choices could work for the entire world. Everyone would play at almost exactly the same level as now, and enjoy the game just ad much, if not more. Ejing and equipment forums would die, of course.

Last edited:
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
And it wouldn't be right to eliminate defense, or para, or any whole classes of players.
And then proceeded by suggesting a setup that prevents two-wing looping. :rolleyes:

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
I can see we have some hopeless ejs here. Fine. I just ordered an M8 with 2xT88 from Megaspin for $28 complete. If any forum members are < 1850 usatt and visiting south Florida feel free to PM me for a showdown with you and your $300+ setup. Because equipment doesn't matter.

Last edited:

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
@zeio how does M8 with T88 both sides preclude two-wing looping? You *can* use the 388d. You don't *have* to use it.

Jan 2018
I'm sorry but your proposition is built on a false premise.

Put simply, you want to have it all while not wanting it all at the same time.

One thing in common for sandpaper, hardbat, and large ball(which I think is what you mean by big ball) is that they allow only one type of surface. This limit essentially puts a stop to many modern styles, which is the intention. Not with your rule of "...two rubbers". You want to preserve other styles but in so doing you're suppressing the most common style.

That won't get you far.

Last edited:
Reactions: phorkyas
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
How about something like Mark V both sides with a stiga allround classic or the blade that Aida Satoshi uses. Could create more players like him that can both play offensively and defensively as it's slow enough. And it would be good for all levels.

You could get the best of both worlds with this setup and potential for long rallies at the top level!

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
To be honest. I wouldn't mind making a league of it's own with standarised equipment. Although I admit that every rubber and blade plays differently, I would be happy with any ALL+ - OFF blade that has good feeling, an hybrid rubber and euro jap rubber with limited bounce.

So far most of the blades I've used that were in the OFF +/- range were kinda off dead-ish in terms of feedback compared to my Appelgren Allplay (Fire Dragon Touch also shows some good vibes and it seems to be on the bottom end of OFF- spectrum). When it comes to rubber I wouldn't mind playing with anything in hardness range 36-38, preferebly one 36-37 on the BH and 38 for forehand. Although I have my preferences I've used only one rubber in my life I deemed unplayable, which would Friendship Super FX.

says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
Preposterous!
Anyway. If we generalize and try find some sort of average... Can't be too fast and neither too slow...
With two inverted rubbers, one offensive and one more defensive/spinny fit for chops rubber that would still work decently as a bh rubber for offensive players. (but no matter what you pick it will end up being sub-optimal for one or the other lol)
I imagine the blade would have to be a limba top ply. (and that comes from someone with a Hinoki or koto preference lol). Limba is imo slightly more flexible throughout different playstyles than the rest.
My personal suggestion of an Off- or all+ with pretty decent feel would be:
Tibhar Stratur Powerwood or Stiga Azaela Allround
With a good hard offensive rubber on fh: Tenergy 05 or Tibhar MX-P (don't cry Hurricane/skyline users)
and a good inverted-soft def-of hybrid rubber on bh: well sheet I never looked for one: maybe:
Juic 999 Elite Defense, Tibhar Super 40 Defense or JOOLA Topspin C?

I imagine something like a Rakza 7 Soft or Tibhar FX-P would still be a bit too fast for defenders. Especially without a def blade...
To further, with this sort of arrangement, twiddling would become very mainstream. (Offensive players at the pro level would clearly want to use MX-P for both sides if possible lmao. Modern defenders will probably twiddle less rofl)

Last edited:
I for one vote for Zhang Jike Super ZLC with Dignics both sides.

I know it breaks both explicit rules stated in the OP but wait! Hear me out! There are several advantages.

Firstly, it will take away that kind of EJ that just wants the newest, most sparkly equipment hoping it improve their game from the regular game of TT, and no one will miss them.

Secondly, Butterfly will make so much money off like.. the half dozen players who might want to play this variation of the game that they might actually release some products at reasonable prices for everyone who wants to play normal TT (yeah ok fat chance).

Lastly, it prices most sane people out of this ridiculous variation, so the rest of TT can move on and get on with their lives.