This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
CM always seems to shut down WMY more easily than she does the other Chinese women. WMY doesn't even do well at mid-distance rallies against CM. Asian Games 2018 vendetta?

Also, CM's shots are as spinny as the male players. Creepy.

Physical strength. Chen Meng is the strongest of the women players, Wang Manyu #2. That can change with age but Wang Manyu is used to overpowering players. It just doesn't work against Chen. Chen is a modest disappointment relative to physical talent level but she still has 4 years to fix thia. But it is a very narrow window with the level of competition.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
CM always seems to shut down WMY more easily than she does the other Chinese women. WMY doesn't even do well at mid-distance rallies against CM. Asian Games 2018 vendetta?

Also, CM's shots are as spinny as the male players. Creepy.

If anything, LSW is the one who has always had a difficult time playing CM and FTW. Look up the stats.

Keep this in mind. CM = Ms Open.

Ito's analysis of the CNT is really on point here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Keep this in mind. CM = Ms Open.

cache.php

CM: (I'm the first player ever to achieve this three back-to-back WTGF champion!! Me!!)

Post-Match Interview

Host: You've equalled LSW's record blah blah...
CM: (clearly not listening and still revelling in her own self-proclaimed 'new' record) I'm not sure if anyone else before me have done this –
Host: LSW, your senior.
CM: Oh. (voice becomes slightly softer) Yeah, this is a small breakthrough for me... (I MUST WIN NEXT YEAR!)

Awkward.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
cache.php

CM: (I'm the first player ever to achieve this three back-to-back WTGF champion!! Me!!)

Post-Match Interview

Host: You've equalled LSW's record blah blah...
CM: (clearly not listening and still revelling in her own self-proclaimed 'new' record) I'm not sure if anyone else before me have done this –
Host: LSW, your senior.
CM: Oh. (voice becomes slightly softer) Yeah, this is a small breakthrough for me... (I MUST WIN NEXT YEAR!)

Awkward.

:):):)

Jan 2018
Mizutani couldn't keep up. Ito was under so much pressure to carry.

https://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/201912140000689.html
幼少からの旧知のコンビが、世界王者を苦しめる。第1ゲーム、水谷が女子の劉から確実に得点し、11-9で先勝。第2ゲームは11-6と圧倒した。そこから相手に王者の貫禄が出始める。2ゲームを返され迎えた最終ゲーム、8-8の場面。水谷が「決まった」と思ったフォアストレートが無情にもアウトに。「自分のベストボールという感触だった。あれをミスるようではダメ」と反省した。

伊藤は男子世界ランキング1位許の変化の鋭い球を巧みにブロック。「許■のボールにも目が慣れてきた」と言い切った。それでも最後は9-11と最少点差で敗れた。「許と劉は途中からあえてラリーを続け、私たちのミスを待った。試合中にいやらしく戦術を変えてくる」。しかし、それも東京五輪へ大事な経験となった。
The combination of old acquaintances from childhood torments the World Champions. In the first game, Mizutani scored reliably from women's Liu and won 11-9. The second game was an overwhelming 11-6. From there, the champion's dignity began to appear in the opponents. It was 8-8 in the final game after taking the next 2. The FH straight that Mizutani thought was "deciding" was ruthlessly out. "I felt it was my best shot. Don't miss it."

Ito skillfully blocked the sharply changing shot of XX, World No. 1. “I have become accustomed to the ball of Xu”. But in the end, they lost with a minimal 2-point difference at 9-11. “Xu and Liu dared to continue the rally halfway through and waited for our mistakes. However, it was also an important experience for the Tokyo Olympics.

https://www.daily.co.jp/general/2019/12/15/0012961479.shtml
 「シングルスは昨日負けた時点で終わり。自分にはミックスしかないと懸ける気持ちは一段と強かった」。水谷は前日まで痛みを抱える腰に装着していたベルトも取り去り、不退転の覚悟をラケットに託した。金星にはあと一歩届かなかったが、世界王者ペアを追い詰めた。「すごく自信になった。最後の1本までチャンスがあったし、改善すれば勝てるという感覚も得られた」。目の不調などによる競技意欲の低下で悩んでいるが、充実感を取り戻した。

ただ、今回は水谷の腰痛の影響もあって大会までほとんど練習できず、試合直前に合わせる程度の“ぶっつけ本番”で臨んでいただけに、ペアを組む伊藤は「『練習して』って感じです(笑)」と注文をつけた。ダブルス名人の伊藤は「一番練習しないペアだと思う」と自嘲し、「大事なところでミスしちゃったりとかあったので。これから練習して、大事なところでも攻められるように。一緒に練習もしたいし、個々の練習もしてほしい。やれば強くなる」とハッパをかけた。
“The singles ended when we lost yesterday. I felt stronger if I only had a mix.” Mizutani also removed the belt that had been worn on the waist that had pain until the day before, and entrusted the racket to stay ready. We couldn't reach Venus one more time, but we hunted down the world champion pair. “I was very confident. I had a chance to the last one, and I felt that I could win if I improved.” I'm worried about the lack of competition due to poor eyes, but I regained my sense of fulfillment.

However, this time, due to the back pain of Mizutani, I could hardly practice until the tournament, and Ito, who was paired with the “Bumping Production” just enough to match just before the match, “I feel like“ practice ” (Laughs) " Doubles master Ito refrained, “I think it ’s the least practiced pair,” and “I made mistakes in important places. I will practice now and be able to attack in important places. I want you to do it and practice it individually.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vlad Celler
Jan 2018
"They will hit where it hurts... They will go for your forehand". Is this some kind of trash talk? Completely contradictory with the early part of the interview and, well, he's not exactly known for having a weak forehand.

I guess he means his wrist hurts when he uses the FH. And the opponents, aware of that, will feed balls to his FH to make him use his "weakened" FH to induce misses or weak returns, on top of exploiting his BH.

Jan 2018
Ito looks lethargic. She's not moving at all. Not enough sleep?

New service motion that's not all that deceptive. It feels like she's holding back.

oMOaSJD.jpg

Aha, Ito hurt her back. That's why. Bold statement as well.

https://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/201912140000865.html
女子シングルス準決勝の第1ゲーム、伊藤は陳夢に1-9とリードされてから8連続得点で同点に追いつくと、12-10と逆転した。しかし、2ゲーム以降は世界1位の貫禄を見せつけられた。第3ゲームの途中から腰を痛めた影響もあり「思うように動けなかった」と語った。現在世界ランキング4位と、今年1年で大きく成長した。「目標の『負けない選手』に近づいている。前はすごいと思っていた中国選手の球も、そう思わなくなった。来年は中国選手相手でもこちらが余裕を持って戦えるようになりたい」と総括した。
In the first game of the women's singles semifinals, Ito tied the score with eight consecutive points after trailing 1-9 against Chen Meng and turned the game around 12-10. However, after two games, she was shown the world's No. 1 dignity. "I couldn't move as I wanted" due to the impact of a back injury in the middle of the third game. Currently ranked 4th in the world ranking, she has grown significantly this year. "I'm getting closer to my goal of being a player who doesn't lose. I used to think the CNT players were so great. I don't anymore. Next year, I want to be able to play against Chinese players with ease."

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Ok, I guess you are right. I still had the impression I saw a flicker of cheeky light in his eyes, when he said that (assuming I picked up on the right sentence). And from what he said before that, it seemed RPB was the most demanding for the wrist (which would fit with my own very modest experience whenever I tried messing around with penhold). Well obviously it didn't matter so much in the end, but I found the idea he might send 101-war-tactics misinformation his opponents' way interesting, and somewhat in keeping with his character. As you say, it may all be in my head.

Reactions: zeio
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Oh nevermind, embedding fiasco.

The good old and much over-quoted line was "The whole secret lies in confusing the enemy, so that he cannot fathom our real intent." I'd trust XX to be good at that kind of thing. Sure would want him on my side, when things get messy.

Oh and on a very different subject - Captain, I doubted you and I was a fool. Onwards to the final!

Last edited:
Reactions: zeio
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Aha, Ito hurt her back. That's why. Bold statement as well.

https://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/201912140000865.html

In the first game of the women's singles semifinals, Ito tied the score with eight consecutive points after trailing 1-9 against Chen Meng and turned the game around 12-10. However, after two games, she was shown the world's No. 1 dignity. "I couldn't move as I wanted" due to the impact of a back injury in the middle of the third game. Currently ranked 4th in the world ranking, she has grown significantly this year. "I'm getting closer to my goal of being a player who doesn't lose. I used to think the CNT players were so great. I don't anymore. Next year, I want to be able to play against Chinese players with ease."

If Ito really had an injury, then the behavior of her coach, Matsudzaki during the game, is understandable ...He was unusually calm .... Most likely, he bluntly indicated that she should not risk especially ...

Jan 2018
https://hochi.news/articles/20191214-OHT1T50258.html
 アクシデントも響いた。第3ゲームの途中、疲労か混合ダブルス決勝から試合間隔が短かった影響かは不明だが、腰に痛みを感じたという。第4、5ゲームはジュースで落とし、1―4で敗戦。「今日は元気が出なかった」と息をついた。

グランドファイナルは自身初の4強入りを果たし、年内の国際大会を終えた。中国を除く海外選手に無敗を守り、中国選手とも自己最多の24試合(10勝)を戦った。「すごく成長できたと思う年。中国選手に勝つ機会も増えたし、前よりもすごいボールが来るなとかは感じなくなって。目も卓球も慣れた。その分、どんな状態であれ勝つことが大事なので、やっぱり自分の実力を上げるのみかなと思います」。代表入りが確実な東京五輪が控える来年に向け、さらなるレベルアップを誓った。
The accident also sounded. In the middle of the third game, it is unclear whether it was fatigue or the short match interval after the mixed doubles final, but she felt pain in the lower back. The fourth and fifth games were dropped after deuce and defeated with 1-4. “I wasn’t doing well today,” Ito sighed.

Finishing 4th for the first time in the Grand Finals, her international competitions come to an end for the year. She remained undefeated against foreign players except China, and played 24 matches (10 wins) against China. “I think I was able to grow very much. I have more opportunities to win Chinese players, and I no longer feel that their shots going to be better than before. I've gotten used to my eyes and table tennis. That’s why it’s important to win in any situation, so I think I’ll only improve my ability." She pledges to further improve her level to prevent that from happening next year at the Tokyo Olympics.

Last edited:
Jan 2018
19:30 Beijing time.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
Ito’s injury should not be serious because she is seen still practicing in the practice hall just now when the WD and MS finals players are warming up.

The accident also sounded. In the middle of the third game, it is unclear whether it was fatigue or the short match interval after the mixed doubles final, but she felt pain in the lower back.

Jan 2018
Kihara's solid and tight short FH receiving strikes again.

Her placement is surgical.

Last edited: