RcfzpH0.jpg

9LnlOIg.jpg

geHMzQn.jpg

sFdzksE.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
In 2017, Miu Hirano was the darling of the TT world. Only non-Chinese Women's World Cup winner, Asian Champion and bronze medal at the WTTC. Now, still a great player (let us not lose perspective), she fails to make the Olympic team in singles. Life can be tough.

This user has no status.
yes its very tough for Hirano, especially that the media were so mad about her in 2017...and she lost at the final hurdle; she was only 1 match away from getting the spot. And i'm sure there are many matches this year where she can be regretful, a recent one being against Jeon Jihee at T2

but its going to be very tough for all the Chinese who can't make it to the Olympics. 10 girls in Grand Finals, if they were playing for any country but China, they'd be all Olympians, but only 2 will be playing singles and another one team. Thats 7 excellent players left at home or picking up balls for the chosen 3.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Why does this look like an arranged match? Xu Xin wants to go home.

He did say XD is the priority for this tournament. In one of the recent interviews for STIGA, XX also spoke rather favourably of ZZH, saying that the latter just need more confidence and plays like a modern penholder.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Why does this look like an arranged match? Xu Xin wants to go home.
ZZ made big progress lately and I think XX is tired to prove everytime he is better, at the same time playing doubles and xdoubles.
It looks like the deliberetly send him to so many events and competitions to make excuse not to send him to olympics.
In fact I am very interested how and when they are going to choose players for olympics. Nowadays gold holders Ma Long and Ding Ning out of shape.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
ZZ made big progress lately and I think XX is tired to prove everytime he is better, at the same time playing doubles and xdoubles.
It looks like the deliberetly send him to so many events and competitions to make excuse not to send him to olympics.
In fact I am very interested how and when they are going to choose players for olympics. Nowadays gold holders Ma Long and Ding Ning out of shape.

LGL has made it pretty clear for a long time now he wants XX to focus on the various doubles events. It's not so much they are sending him in alot of events to deny him a single spot, as he's already pegged to carry the doubles.

That said, if Ma Long is still injured for the Olympics XX might still get that other singles spot, and still have to carry all the double events he's allowed to be in. Simply because they don't really have anyone else.

FZD already has the other spot, past that other choices are LGY, LJK and WCQ, none of whom are ideal.

LGY's psychological strength under pressure is still suspect the CNT will avoid giving him an Olympics spot like the plague, LJK has poor stylistic matchups against CNTs biggest threats, and WCQ is very inexperienced and unproven.

They just don't realistically have other options, they will likely go with slightly injured ML or very overworked XX.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
LGL has made it pretty clear for a long time now he wants XX to focus on the various doubles events. It's not so much they are sending him in alot of events to deny him a single spot, as he's already pegged to carry the doubles.

That said, if Ma Long is still injured for the Olympics XX might still get that other singles spot, and still have to carry all the double events he's allowed to be in. Simply because they don't really have anyone else.

FZD already has the other spot, past that other choices are LGY, LJK and WCQ, none of whom are ideal.

LGY's psychological strength under pressure is still suspect the CNT will avoid giving him an Olympics spot like the plague, LJK has poor stylistic matchups against CNTs biggest threats, and WCQ is very inexperienced and unproven.

They just don't realistically have other options, they will likely go with slightly injured ML or very overworked XX.
As far as I know there is only 1 doubles event at olympics meaning mix.
FZD - are you joking? Having worst year in his career? It would be like picking up niwa over harimoto.
XX is great player and Has the best year in his career.
Still if this is true I would change nationality if I were XX

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
FZD - are you joking? Having worst year in his career? It would be like picking up niwa over harimoto.
FZD did have a bad year, but he's still #2 in the world and a win rate of 82% in match for the year. By your example, Harimoto is clearly a favorite against Niwa in both head to head and vs other players.

Xu Xin vs FZD, is Xu Xin a favorite for H2H match against FZD at this point, even with the recent success, I would have to say No (I am a big fan of Xu Xin by the way). Against other players, Xu Xin do have a slight edge right now imo, but the difference is much smaller than the difference between Harimoto and Niwa

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
I agree with you that XX should get a singles spot. But FZD should get the other spot. True, he started off the year on the wrong foot, but has righted the ship: Platinum German Open winner, Platinum Austrian Open winner, Men's World Cup winner.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
The JNT has made a horrible mistake with this no-judgement, mechanical selection process. It goes beyond not having the best team in Tokyo 2020. It's increasingly obvious that their best players are under so much pressure that they aren't playing up to their capabilities and are miserable doing it. If they cause MH to retire early the JNT will have well and truly ****ed themselves for no good reason. If you want an answer as to why the CNT will continue to dominate forever look no further than an intelligent attitude towards player development.

Last edited: