says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
zeio, shall I send these images to the umpires and the ITTF rule committee instead?
cache.php

cache.php

This is what every serve by Liang Jingkun looked like today. Before people accuse me of favoritism: it is also how every serve by Ma Long looked like. Before people say "so what's your problem then? These are all faults by the letter of the law" I answer: so is 90% of serves from 95% of the players. The cleanest pendulum I can think of is that of Vladimir Samsonov, no shenanigans whatsoever. However, by the letter of the law, his pendulums are faults. Even though the opponent can clearly see the ball at all times, the ball is obscured as viewed from the right net clamp. And, as zeio cites, that renders the serve illegal according to the currently used rules.

My questions are then:
  • what good are the rules that make a completely innocent serve, that is fully visible to the receiver, an illegal one?
  • what good are the rules, when within a single match or across several matches there is no consistency whatsoever?

Continuing on, note that there is two possible ways to make the calls consistent:
  • don't ever fault these serves, aka the sensible approach;
  • fault every one of them, which would include every pendulum in the match between Liang Jingkun and Ma Long (I posted two screenshots but they're in no way unique, I couls post a screenshot for every serve), every pendulum by most of the players (seriously, go watch them on youtube and try to find a clean one), every shovel serve, every reverse pendulum, even some tomahawks.
As Ma Long said in his interview yesterday, he was never before faulted on his pendulum. That's because the first approach was always taken.

If you still don't believe me when I say every pendulum serve by most of the players is technically illegal, here's a couple serves from Hugo and Fan (can you guess how many faults were called?):
cache.php

cache.php

I made that post not to defend or attack anyone, but because ML argued the point of contact was not hidden yesterday and the position of the camera today, when that's not how the rules are written and should be interpreted. Bobrow also mentioned "from net post to net post." It doesn't matter where the receiver stands.

Players are not necessarily on the same page when it comes to the rules. Best example is Ishikawa.

Last edited:
Reactions: popte
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
You're welcome. Glad you find it helpful. I hope the rest of the world could better understand why the CNT do things in a certain way that some might find expedient, where they are coming from.

An honorable mission. Often checking some Youtube and western forums discussions, there won't be any lack of need for your work anytime soon...

It also goes beyond TT. The rest of the world should learn from CNT's culture, wisdom and determination. It can be helpful on a lot of aspects. At least it is for me.

Reactions: zeio
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
I made that post not to defend or attack anyone, but because ML argued the point of contact was not hidden yesterday and the position of the camera today, when that's not how the rules are written and should be interpreted. Bobrow also mentioned "from net post to net post." It doesn't matter where the receiver stands.
I didn't read it as an attack, maybe some irony. The way Ma Long argued is the way everyone argued before recent times and all was right in the world and no one complained. Another way of interpreting Ma Long's argument is this: "this serve of mine can not be a fault, because otherwise all my serves before this one were also faults and so are the serves of my opponent, but none of them were called so what gives?" And I can only call this reasoning rational.

Reactions: RidTheKid
Jan 2018
NtAQHMD.jpg

4xotTZd.jpg

PdeXL4R.jpg

FKrOwVZ.jpg

DXA9CLS.jpg

w5xtShV.jpg

HAoDPgl.jpg

I'm coming, Tokyo 2020.
i9WsP68.jpg

JqxgujD.jpg

TrjC04j.jpg

X8muAKC.jpg

SdUXOQe.jpg

u3YRI21.jpg

vmfxlCb.jpg

CYlGtyO.jpg

mN8rPJ1.jpg

c9uv1CC.jpg

zPT9qyn.jpg

W0mNXyU.jpg

Om6DIEb.jpg

ayI035m.jpg

2gCEJly.jpg

eyFmkpZ.jpg

bdB30gA.jpg

zSvEnUV.jpg

Qo9OfmO.jpg

v3Xfjyr.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 2018
Mizutani couldn't keep up. Ito was under so much pressure to carry.

Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Mizutani couldn't keep up. Ito was under so much pressure to carry.

Ito was MVP of entire match. LSW was stable but hasty at times to finish the point. XX was slightly off-form at the start. Mizutani played above his usual standards IMO but not enough to carry.

But this Mizutani/Ito pair might not make the Olympics with Koki in Singles. Will probably get Maharu to complete the team. Japan as host nation qualifies automatically for XD anyways so the decision is really up the association.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Good to see ZJK in the arena. I hope he can pick up the racquet again after Tokyo Olympics.

Actually, it was recently reported that the CNT is in the midst of selecting the final 5 players – from a pool of 23 comprising names like Wang Chuqin (yeah apparently still in the game but clearly fell out of the core team for now), Yan An, Fang Bo, Sun Wen etc. – to make up the Marvellous 12 candidates. Confirmed names are Ma Long, Xu Xin, Fan Zhendong, Lin Gaoyuan, Liang Jingkun. Zhao Zihao is probably in too since he is exempted from this initial trial stage. If my math is right, 6 + 5 = 11. What if ZJK's appearance here is a prelude to... obviously a wild guess but can't hurt right :D