This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
In principle, JNT still has time to change the selection rules .....It would be a desire ....But honestly, I can’t believe it anymore .....Formally, the JNT talks about the selection rules, but, IMHO, a decision has already been made on the composition of the women's team ... Half a year ago ....

( I just can’t understand why it was necessary to play a couple of Hirano-Shibata this year? Meaning?)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
The JNT has made a horrible mistake with this no-judgement, mechanical selection process. It goes beyond not having the best team in Tokyo 2020. It's increasingly obvious that their best players are under so much pressure that they aren't playing up to their capabilities and are miserable doing it. If they cause MH to retire early the JNT will have well and truly ****ed themselves for no good reason. If you want an answer as to why the CNT will continue to dominate forever look know further than an intelligent attitude towards player development.

to be fair, the selection process did make some step up their game (Fukuhara, Ito). It just so happened that this time, both players vying for the second spot crumbled under pressure and it came down to who would screw up less. I don't think we would have seen the level of success Ito achieved this year if not for the pressure she faced earlier, having met Sun Yingsha in WTTC R3 and being left out of invitationals left her with no choice but to beat everyone in her path to secure singles. Maybe limiting selection process to 1 singles player would provide the motivation for players to step up while still giving JNT flexibility in team assembly.

Last edited:
As far as I know there is only 1 doubles event at olympics meaning mix.
FZD - are you joking? Having worst year in his career? It would be like picking up niwa over harimoto.
XX is great player and Has the best year in his career.
Still if this is true I would change nationality if I were XX

I don't necessarily think Xu Xin would be against playing both doubles and singles in Olympics. A doubles gold is not nothing, an Olympic gold is still an Olympic gold and still very much worth having. He might be perfectly happy to play doubles, teams and singles if Ma Long is injured.

I don't think FZD having the worst year in his career is particularly relevant tbh. There is nothing particularly special about this year, and he's had a more successful several years than XX and a more sucessful last couple of months. The early part of this year is just about the only time where XX has been doing better than FZD this Olympic cycle. To say FZD's position for Olympics singles is a joke based on just this year, seems to be very cherry picked.

The CNT also don't particularly care about your world tour results (outside of what it might say about how well you are playing in general) and tend to focus on big event performance. While FZD's slump lost him a realistic chance at the World Championships this year, he has got the World Cup, and XX got neither of those things (he did pick up the continental championships though).

The fact is that FZD is both the overall more achieved player this Olympic cycle (1 asian championship, 2 world cups, compared to just 1 asian championships for XX, neither have WTTC singles) as well as the player in better form RIGHT NOW. it's nothing like picking Niwa over Harimoto (which wouldn't happen anyway).

While I agree XX is a great player, the only real arguments he had (or has) for Olympics singles were if FZD continued to be in terrible form (you probably wouldn't want to send out someone playing that poorly regardless of achievements), or if Ma Long was injured. Those two players are simply more proven in big stakes situations than he is. All these two players have to do is not be in a horrible slump, which FZD has now snapped out of, and not be injured, which Ma Long we are unsure of still.

On the other hand, he is pretty much the undisputed best male doubles player in the world. So being pegged to carry doubles makes a lot of sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: matzreenzi and slym
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
I don't necessarily think Xu Xin would be against playing both doubles and singles in Olympics. A doubles gold is not nothing, an Olympic gold is still an Olympic gold and still very much worth having. He might be perfectly happy to play doubles, teams and singles if Ma Long is injured.

I don't think FZD having the worst year in his career is particularly relevant tbh. There is nothing particularly special about this year, and he's had a more successful several years than XX and a more sucessful last couple of months. The early part of this year is just about the only time where XX has been doing better than FZD this Olympic cycle. To say FZD's position for Olympics singles is a joke based on just this year, seems to be very cherry picked.

The CNT also don't particularly care about your world tour results (outside of what it might say about how well you are playing in general) and tend to focus on big event performance. While FZD's slump lost him a realistic chance at the World Championships this year, he has got the World Cup, and XX got neither of those things (he did pick up the continental championships though).

The fact is that FZD is both the overall more achieved player this Olympic cycle (1 asian championship, 2 world cups, compared to just 1 asian championships for XX, neither have WTTC singles) as well as the player in better form RIGHT NOW. it's nothing like picking Niwa over Harimoto (which wouldn't happen anyway).

While I agree XX is a great player, the only real arguments he had (or has) for Olympics singles were if FZD continued to be in terrible form (you probably wouldn't want to send out someone playing that poorly regardless of achievements), or if Ma Long was injured. Those two players are simply more proven in big stakes situations than he is. All these two players have to do is not be in a horrible slump, which FZD has now snapped out of, and not be injured, which Ma Long we are unsure of still.

On the other hand, he is pretty much the undisputed best male doubles player in the world. So being pegged to carry doubles makes a lot of sense.

Yes there are some good points. But there is alway but :)
FZD even in great form always struggled in finals with Ma Long (even out of form) and most of them lost. Now he is back on truck but remember few months ago he lost to franziska nad Jung yungsik. That time many players found he has big middle problems and they kept playing to his middle and then corners.
Let's look at the world tour standings:
XX has 2044 points while FZD only 1507, it is a big gap. If Ma Long wasn't injured and played more he would definitely had more points then FZD.
I do remember XX lost to Gauzy - but this match was something what I can watch again and again. Simon played exceptionaly well and XX wasn't prepare for such fight. Anyway it was quite long ago and since then XX proved more then necessary his ability to beat all top players.
Last but not least XX is getting old and it will be probably his last Olympics and he really deserves singles spot as well as LSW.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Seriously, noob makes me cry...

9omsH6L.jpg

Yes there are some good points. But there is alway but :)
FZD even in great form always struggled in finals with Ma Long (even out of form) and most of them lost. Now he is back on truck but remember few months ago he lost to franziska nad Jung yungsik. That time many players found he has big middle problems and they kept playing to his middle and then corners.
Let's look at the world tour standings:
XX has 2044 points while FZD only 1507, it is a big gap. If Ma Long wasn't injured and played more he would definitely had more points then FZD.
I do remember XX lost to Gauzy - but this match was something what I can watch again and again. Simon played exceptionaly well and XX wasn't prepare for such fight. Anyway it was quite long ago and since then XX proved more then necessary his ability to beat all top players.
Last but not least XX is getting old and it will be probably his last Olympics and he really deserves singles spot as well as LSW.

The problem with most of these is these are not how CNT select their Olympic players.

They don't care if you can or can't beat the other CNT player, so long as you are both in the finals the coach's job is done.

FZD has always had a big middle, during the peak of his slump, his reaction speed was slugglish and his footwork was just... lazy. So he couldn't get out of the way fast enough to create space for his shots. Now that he's out of his slump, his speed is as fast, if not faster than ever, and his midddle is no longer relevant.

And as previously stated, the CNT don't really care about your world tour performance that much (unless you are losing to non CNT A team members a lot, that would become a problem).

While I agree it's a shame if XX never gets an Olympics single spot, the CNT simply doesn't select based on sentiment. That said, both LSW and XX have a chance for Olympic single spots this time, as DN is in such bad form that the CNT must be worried. And Ma Long's body appears to be giving out, he simply might not be fit for the olympics.

I think LSW's chances are better than XX's, but both I think are still chances. XX I think, is more likely to take Ma Long's spot than FZD's though.

Reactions: Sali
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
In principle, JNT still has time to change the selection rules .....
( I just can’t understand why it was necessary to play a couple of Hirano-Shibata this year? Meaning?)
Respectfully I disagree. You cannot move the goal post and change the rules once the competition began. Not after it was announced to the world and the race is on. This is what playing fair is all about.
Following your reasoning, the Hirano-Shibata may be a foil to keep Hayata away, just as the dismantling of the Ito-Hayata combo after April. With Hayata in the picture, it would gum up JTTA’s preconceived plans. Now there is no current viable data to support a Hayata combo is the right choice. But there are sufficient results to show a Ishikawa-Hirano combo is at best mediocre.
Anyway, it’s a conspiracy theory I don’t quite subscribe.
Either way, the Ishikawa-Hirano race was open, transparent, with both losing precious opportunities in what appeared to be a continued series of comedies of error. Myself, I think the turning point was Ishikawa gaining entry to the first T2 and thereby 400 more points, and Hirano inexplicably losing both in WWC to Zhang and Jeon in T2.
But both Ishikawa & Hirano are near their breaking points because of the large number of games played, without satisfactory results and mental pressure. That much is evident to me.

In the end, it came down to Markham, and half a year of stumbles against what the world has to offer ended with a head to head fight for the spot. Hirano actually played very well, but Ishikawa was fighting for her life, a chance for her last Olympic, on home soil yet. The experience won out.
I see Tokyo is an opportunity to gain a WS medal in Ito. I can’t see Japan getting even a Silver in Team, not with Ishikawa and Hirano in it.
As for Hayata, I hope she keeps building herself up for 2024. She’s not ready for the harsh realities of Tokyo yet, and it’s better for her development not to take a fall/hit, and be tarnished for Japan’s Team failings.
Now the race for the ‘P’ card begins.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vlad Celler
Jan 2018
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
The problem with most of these is these are not how CNT select their Olympic players.

They don't care if you can or can't beat the other CNT player, so long as you are both in the finals the coach's job is done.

FZD has always had a big middle, during the peak of his slump, his reaction speed was slugglish and his footwork was just... lazy. So he couldn't get out of the way fast enough to create space for his shots. Now that he's out of his slump, his speed is as fast, if not faster than ever, and his midddle is no longer relevant.

And as previously stated, the CNT don't really care about your world tour performance that much (unless you are losing to non CNT A team members a lot, that would become a problem).

While I agree it's a shame if XX never gets an Olympics single spot, the CNT simply doesn't select based on sentiment. That said, both LSW and XX have a chance for Olympic single spots this time, as DN is in such bad form that the CNT must be worried. And Ma Long's body appears to be giving out, he simply might not be fit for the olympics.

I think LSW's chances are better than XX's, but both I think are still chances. XX I think, is more likely to take Ma Long's spot than FZD's though.
Could be, but how you can explain last olympics. They chose LXX and ZJK both not at their best.
As I remember they said anyone can go if win a tournament (I think it was Asian championships). LSW lost to Hong Kong player and lost her chances. LXX won the tournament and hot the ticket. Second ticket was to be given directly from ctta.

Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
I think silver is almost a given for Japan in WT. What other team than China can beat them ? as #2 seeds they should play only China in the finals.

The best non - CNT players are CIC, FTW and DHK , their recent H-to-H favour the Japanese, they can win some matches but i think their teammates are way below and the Japanese have some margin against those teams. the best non-asian team is Romania and they beat them easily at WTC. They really cruised to the final.

Of course for Gold, their chance to win is about 1%. Someone very optimistic but realistic would say 5%. So not 0% but it would be a big big surprise.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Respectfully I disagree. You cannot move the goal post and change the rules once the competition began. Not after it was announced to the world and the race is on. This is what playing fair is all about.
Following your reasoning, the Hirano-Shibata may be a foil to keep Hayata away, just as the dismantling of the Ito-Hayata combo after April. With Hayata in the picture, it would gum up JTTA’s preconceived plans. A conspiracy theory I don’t quite subscribe.
Either way, the Ishikawa-Hirano race was open, transparent, with both losing precious opportunities in what appeared to be a continued series of comedies of error. Myself, I think the turning point was Ishikawa gaining entry to the first T2 and thereby 400 more points, and Hirano inexplicably losing both in WWC to Zhang and Jeon in T2.
But both Ishikawa & Hirano are near their breaking points because of the large number of games played, without satisfactory results and mental pressure. That much is evident to me.

In the end, it came down to Markham, and half a year of stumbles against what the world has to offer ended with a head to head fight for the spot. Hirano actually played very well, but Ishikawa was fighting for her life, a chance for her last Olympic, on home soil yet. The experience won out.
I see Tokyo is an opportunity to gain a WS medal in Ito. I can’t see Japan getting even a Silver in Team, not with Ishikawa and Hirano in it.
As for Hayata, I hope she keeps building herself up for 2024. She’s not ready for the harsh realities of Tokyo yet, and it’s better for her development not to take a fall/hit, and be tarnished for Japan’s Team failings.
Now the race for the ‘P’ card begins.

You know ... I probably agree with you ....
But still, I don’t understand why JNT announced the Hirano-Shibata pair at the tournaments, and not, for example, Hirano-Hayata ...After all, UNT was guided by something ......What was the calculation?
This is certainly not a conspiracy against Hayata.....Not..It was rightly noted here that Hayata still has serious problems with the technique of the game and tactics .....But my personal opinion is that the Hayata-Hirano pair (and even possibly Hayata-Sato) is in any case better than the Ishikawa-Hirano pair ......Perhaps this is my opinion erroneous, I do not insist .....

Yes ... The Ishikawa-Hirano race was open and honest, no doubt .....I'm very, very sorry Miu Hirano ....
Moreover, I am a fan of all three - Ito-Hirano-Hayata ....

Now we are waiting for the results of TOP-12 (Hirano will have to play in the first round) and the Empress Cup ....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
I think silver is almost a given for Japan in WT. What other team than China can beat them ? as #2 seeds they should play only China in the finals.

The best non - CNT players are CIC, FTW and DHK , their recent H-to-H favour the Japanese, they can win some matches but i think their teammates are way below and the Japanese have some margin against those teams. the best non-asian team is Romania and they beat them easily at WTC. They really cruised to the final.

Of course for Gold, their chance to win is about 1%. Someone very optimistic but realistic would say 5%. So not 0% but it would be a big big surprise.

South Korea?

Could be, but how you can explain last olympics. They chose LXX and ZJK both not at their best.
As I remember they said anyone can go if win a tournament (I think it was Asian championships). LSW lost to Hong Kong player and lost her chances. LXX won the tournament and hot the ticket. Second ticket was to be given directly from ctta.

It's exactly why I say they don't care about your world tour results that much, they care about your big tournament performance. LXX and ZJK are both very achieved players, with proven records for closing the deal in big tournaments.

CNT knew both players were unlikely to beat their compatriot, but it didn't matter. As long as they were a lock on getting to the finals. So long as their two players lock down the gold and silver medals, which player actually gets which is entirely academic to the team.

They were both chosen because they had a track record of being trustworthy in big tournaments.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
Guys, Xu Xin had one of the best draws possible at the WTTC. What did he do? Lose to Gauzy.

You don't come back from that unless no one else is better than you. Fan boys need to remember that.
This. The WTTC loss to Gauzy shut the Olympics door for XX for the unforgivable sin of losing to a foreigner in a major.

FZD was fortunate that he lost to LJK, a fellow CNT, at WTTC so he escaped this damnation.

I love XX's game and would love to see him in the Olympics Singles. He is too old for 2024. On the other hand, FZD does have time on his side and will be around for 2024 Singles.

But the CNT is not sentimental, and that Gauzy loss ... ☹

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018

I agree .... My personal opinion is the concern of the JNT regarding the results of the games with the teams of Hong Kong, Taipei, PRK, Korea, Romania (Germany may no longer be considered) - this is what determined the choice of the JNT in favor of the experienced Ishikawa, and not, for example, Hayata ..... The result of a team meeting with China is predetermined - Mima Ito alone will not bring victory in the best case, and the Ishikawa-Hirano couple will certainly lose ...
But Ishikawa is needed for reliability in games with non-Chinese teams ....

Reactions: Tempest/Comet
Jan 2018

It didn't raise my heartbeat but I wouldn't say they crushed Romania at the TWC, when they had troubles in the doubles and Dodean managed to force Ishikawa into the final game. South Korea gave them a big scare in the SF, even Miyazaki admitted it.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
they beat SK 3-1 , losing the doubles where Ishikawa showed how bad she was in that discipline...

Hirano beat Jeon Jihee 3-0 in this team event.

She did lose JJ in T2 but that was a special format with the Fast 5 system and she lost only 3-4 and perhaps the pressure was much higher because of her race with Kasumi.

Ito won her 2 singles very easily. I think Japan is way above SK

Reactions: NextLevel