Serve receive fine tuning

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I encountered this video coaching service receive, which is woefully thin on English translation, but in careful review I found some helpful insight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiKoMIPEuWQ

It appears the instruction for preparing to receive includes getting low and balanced, then lifting one's stance into an almost upright position at the apex of the serve, then dropping back down as one prepares to return the ball. I can see that would serve to keep one from being too frozen in place and add a spring loading effect to one's legs. The examples in the video show top players going through that exact "down, stand, down" sequence, something I had not consciously thought about. Other parts of the video seem to concentrate of keeping good balanced footwork to support the first hits.

Can any of you add understanding to the translation? Do you concur with the essence of what I have gleaned from this video?

Reactions: fais

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
That's what I took from it too. The point about loading for movement makes sense. I just wonder if ML standing so upright isn't bc for 95% of receives he has to reach over the table. For us bad players where 90%+ of serves are long it may not work so well.

Reactions: Baal and fais
This user has no status.
That's what I took from it too. The point about loading for movement makes sense. I just wonder if ML standing so upright isn't bc for 95% of receives he has to reach over the table. For us bad players where 90%+ of serves are long it may not work so well.

This thought occurred to me as well. It appears to me to be a good neutral position that allows the player to get into the correct return positions thereafter for returning different kind of serves, while simultaneously staying loose/not tensed.