Advice on a new $200 racket build?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Hi, all. I've been lurking for a while.

I have been playing once a week for an hour or two at home or at a friends house each week for the last two years.

My friend has been defeating me the majority of our games ever since he got a new racket a couple months ago. I would like to get a new blade and new rubbers and am looking for advice on what to get. I would like to spend around 200 Canadian dollars.

I'm a huge n00b compared to you guys but thought that maybe could give me suggestions on a build.

Any advice on my crappy technique is also welcome.

https://youtu.be/MrJVzJmGDhY

https://youtu.be/3p3whoUbYco

https://youtu.be/OV9A1baKb_0

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
For $200, you can get a Clipper and 2 sheets of Tenergy 05, good enough endgame setup for anyone.

If you want half budget and still good enough for anyone: Yinhe M4 and 2 sheets of Yasaka Rakza 7 or Xiom Vega Pro (or Tibhar Aurus, or Joola Xplode...you get the idea?).

If you want quarter price and still 80%+ performance: Yinhe N11 and 2 sheets of Palio AK47 Blue.

If you just want to beat your buddy, get some cheap long pips (Dawei 388D, or Palio CK531) and a cheap blade.

You can probably squeeze 2 hours of coaching for the the spare change. He/she will set you on the right path.

Last edited:
Reactions: splasher78
As was mentioned before, you can put together a good setup for 200 and use the rest for coaching. I highly suggest coaching (if you can) as a priority. It will fix your technique with some practice on your end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: bobpuls
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yeah. I am going to say, $200.00 CAD is not going to be money well spent for you.

This is my real recommendation for what you should get, what will be best for you:

Go to www.colestt.com and get:

Blade: Yinhe Galaxy 896

Rubbers: Dawei Super Power 2008 (get this on both sides). You could get it in 1.8 or 2.0 thickness. Probably you should not get 2.2.

That should cost about $32.00 USD.

It sounds like it is inexpensive. But it is a lot better than a lot of things that cost more. And if you got anything more, you would just be getting something that would not be good for you. It would actually make it harder for you to get better. Like: do not get Tenergy and do not get a blade like a Clipper. :) Based on those videos, that would be a bad idea. And it would make it hard for you to get the ball to land on the table consistently.

If you were dead set on spending more money than the $32.00 USD that the stuff from colestt.com would cost, you could get:

Blade: Donic Appelgren Allplay
Rubbers: Yasaka Mark V

I don't love how BRS said what he said. But I think he really has a point.

Sometimes you are stuck with a BH grip. Sometimes you have a crazy FH grip with your index finger pointing straight up towards the tip of the blade. Learning to hold the racket will actually help you improve.

You may also want to learn how to hold the racket for serving. You also may want to learn how to toss the ball legally for serves. Without meaning to, all of your serves are against the rules because, every time you toss the ball, you take the ball way way under the table. And the ball is not allowed to go under the table before you toss. The ball is supposed to stay visible to your opponent the whole time. At the moment, it may not matter much. But you many want to learn to toss and serve legally anyway.

This video may help you with a way to hold the racket for serving that will help your serves improve.

If I was you I would also just watch as many youtube videos from guys like Ping Skills as you can so you can see good strokes and try to improve yours.

But in the end, the most important part is to have fun.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
If you really want to beat your friend you should use a third of the money for equipment and the rest on getting someone to learn you and give you tips on how to play.

I am very very sure that this Will make you beat him all the time.

Reactions: yoass
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Brs, Carl, Lula and others said what need to be said.

As far as "crappy technique" goes, yes, there are a few things that need some attention, and the good thing is: a lot of these are very feasible. Grip, basic stance, basic stroke mechanics, all that foundational work is well within reach. That being said, OP seems to have a reasonable sense of feeling and timing, and some aspects of footwork already in place.

It does require dedication, a bit of guidance, and spending time to build upon that. OP, good luck and have fun!

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
I will allow myself to share my unpopular opinion. Don't get new blade. Get coaching. Your blade is plenty fast and rubbers slow it down a bit (which in your situation is a good thing I think). I am no expert, I will state that openly. But from my experience, skill overcomes gear. Gear only sets the ceiling you can reach.

I think you might be on a level which in Poland is called "I played a lot at school", there is nothing bad at it. I've been there for a long long time. Then I've pivoted to "I watch a lot of youtube videos and get a little bit more serious about it". Self learning was a bit fruitfull but for solid 2 months I was i the in between state that I couldn't win with anyone. Now I am in the "learning from coach and better players" and it boosted my skill a lot and I've become good enough in my new style proficient enough that I can win with the players I struggled to score point earlier. That's why I suggested to get some coach. From what I've seen on the videos you could benefit from someone showing you the basics. As previous people said I would start with a more robust grip that promotes relaxing muscle. From what I deduced you start with closed bat and open in on contact. I don't know how effective it is, but I've been taught a more classical approach to pushes and touches. Try starting and finishing with same bat angle and cutting the ball. I think it would be more efficient (loose less energy) and more easily repeatable. If you relax the wrist at the same time you can generate truckload more spin. The videos other shared are great and I would totally recommend sticking with them, but at the same time getting a coach would be a massive booster. At least it have been for me.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Xiom offensive s with omega 7 asia forehand and omega pro backhand.
Stiga celero with dna h pro forehand and calibra lt sound backhand.

If anyone sane watched him play, they would never make these recommendations. Did you watch any of the footage?

I actually do think, the suggestion from Kuba Hajto of not getting a new racket is pretty intelligent. But if OP wants something new, it should be very simple. And not new technology high tensioned rubbers; at least not unless he had a coach and would be taking coaching for a decent amount of time. Without that, new technology rubbers and an Off- blade are way too much.

Last edited:
says Hello Mr. Jordan Thanks for reaching out. My email is...
says Hello Mr. Jordan Thanks for reaching out. My email is...
Jan 2018
Absolutely agree no need to buy anything more than what Carl recommends, but your current set up might be ok too if its not too old and dead rubbers.

Main adv on technique for you - Main movement of your stroke should be back to front. Watching your videos your predominant movement in FH stroke seems down to up almost like a loop. Change it to predominantly back to front and less down to up. Not sure if it is clear. Also your movement seems kind of stiff, just let it loose, have a defined stroke but movement should be fluid.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
I wasn't being mean, it was a direct quote from the OP.

Main thing to know is this: the worse you play now, the easier it is to improve and the less time and effort it takes. Going from "I played a lot at school" (really love this btw) to "I kind of know how to play a little" is pretty easy and will allow you to absolutely destroy anyone still at the played a lot at school level.

If you are already really good the tiniest marginal improvement takes massive energy and practice time to achieve. So you are in a privileged position. Be happy.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
If anyone sane watched him play, they would never make these recommendations. Did you watch any of the footage?

I actually do think, the suggestion from Kuba Hajto of not getting a new racket is pretty intelligent. But if OP wants something new, it should be very simple. And not new technology high tensioned rubbers; at least not unless he had a coach and would be taking coaching for a decent amount of time. Without that, new technology rubbers and an Off- blade are way too much.
Actually he can if the rubbers are thinner which i forgot to include. The blades i have suggested are not that fast. If he gets 2.0mm of those i do not think that is a problem. By the way, have you tried the rubbers with those thickness or you are just assuming?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Oh wow! Thanks for all the tips, guys!

I will watch those videos and try to improve my technique. I was not aware that I was serving illegally. I will definitely start doing it properly. I will also focus on improving my grip and making my stoke more horizontal.

I will also see if I can find a coach in my little hick city. I'll heed Carl's racket recommendation and use the left-over money for some coaching time.

Thanks again! I'll post back here in some months to show off my new skills!!!

Edit: I am unable to find the Dawei Super Power 2008 on colestt.com Is the Dawei 2008XP similar?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Actually he can if the rubbers are thinner which i forgot to include. The blades i have suggested are not that fast. If he gets 2.0mm of those i do not think that is a problem.

I have not tried them, but I can't see benefit of using this equipment. I've played with a lot of cheap equipment, few midrange stuff and not that many of expensive stuff. (although if someone would want to give away some used pro equipment I will accept it gladly ;) and share my thought)

At my current level I see benefits of using harder rubbers now that I have a slight idea how to use and make it work. But If someone's borrows my midrange equipment and tries to use it, he usually either has bigger problems in play or doesn't benefit at all. I am constantly trying new stuff from different price points, to find something I really like (I want to emphasize I am not thinking any gear will me make better, I am looking for something I like. In fact only equipment helped me to be objectively better was gambler shirt (it doesn't stick to body and keeps me from overheating) and first proper bat). I think there is no point in buying expensive rubbers if you probably won't be able to wield them, because when you will be able make the best use of them, they might be worn out. Time and training does deteriorate rubbers properties, it is a consumable after all. If you want good rubber that is easy to use, but has good quality (without premium price, because I can't afford those atm), you might take a look at:

- 729 Bloom - I am testing Spin version. It is just ok. But in being just ok it is very good for where I am at. It offers a loot of place for errors, decent spin, doesn't accumulate dust and if you manage to engage sponge the spin is insane. It lacks a bit of power from behind the table. No one that used my PLC blade with this rubber had any issues with control whatsoever. I would recommend, but I think I might go for presto next time I order.
- Gambler - the build quality is decent, price is right, ask zeropong for exact recommendation
- Yinhe Moon Pro - you can get it from colestt, I would get soft (38). It is much softer then the rating suggests. Easy to loop, has slight tack. Same as Bloom dead easy to use. No one in the office had any issues with wielding it.

When it comes to blades. Recently I've tried a lot of different types of them and it is personal. Please do not take any suggestions on the blades UNLES you know what you want. Blade affects most of the properties that setup posses. Try buying different blades used in good prices and if you don't like it sell it. By the time you find the keeper you will have some preferences about rubbers too, then you should spend big money on them. But that is just my humble opinion, take it with a grain of salt.

I have not tried them, but I can't see benefit of using this equipment. I've played with a lot of cheap equipment, few midrange stuff and not that many of expensive stuff. (although if someone would want to give away some used pro equipment I will accept it gladly ;) and share my thought)

At my current level I see benefits of using harder rubbers now that I have a slight idea how to use and make it work. But If someone's borrows my midrange equipment and tries to use it, he usually either has bigger problems in play or doesn't benefit at all. I am constantly trying new stuff from different price points, to find something I really like (I want to emphasize I am not thinking any gear will me make better, I am looking for something I like. In fact only equipment helped me to be objectively better was gambler shirt (it doesn't stick to body and keeps me from overheating) and first proper bat). I think there is no point in buying expensive rubbers if you probably won't be able to wield them, because when you will be able make the best use of them, they might be worn out. Time and training does deteriorate rubbers properties, it is a consumable after all. If you want good rubber that is easy to use, but has good quality (without premium price, because I can't afford those atm), you might take a look at:

- 729 Bloom - I am testing Spin version. It is just ok. But in being just ok it is very good for where I am at. It offers a loot of place for errors, decent spin, doesn't accumulate dust and if you manage to engage sponge the spin is insane. It lacks a bit of power from behind the table. No one that used my PLC blade with this rubber had any issues with control whatsoever. I would recommend, but I think I might go for presto next time I order.
- Gambler - the build quality is decent, price is right, ask zeropong for exact recommendation
- Yinhe Moon Pro - you can get it from colestt, I would get soft (38). It is much softer then the rating suggests. Easy to loop, has slight tack. Same as Bloom dead easy to use. No one in the office had any issues with wielding it.

When it comes to blades. Recently I've tried a lot of different types of them and it is personal. Please do not take any suggestions on the blades UNLES you know what you want. Blade affects most of the properties that setup posses. Try buying different blades used in good prices and if you don't like it sell it. By the time you find the keeper you will have some preferences about rubbers too, then you should spend big money on them. But that is just my humble opinion, take it with a grain of salt.

You should really try the xiom offensive s which has a very good feel but does not feel too fast. Korbel is much faster. The offensive s is one of the best blades in the market and can be used even by beginners.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
The colestt rubber is the same Dawei 2008. You could also get the setup everyone in the world could use and afford, Sanwei M8 with Sanwei T88 both sides. The whole combo is $28 from Megaspin.net before shipping. Same as the coles setup, not better, not worse, just cheap and suitable.