Advice on a new $200 racket build?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
or you can buy the offensive S and just get the dawei 2008 and whatever is left spend it on coaching

Xiom Offensive S is a great Blade. It is too fast for him. The 896 is not much slower. But it is so much less expansive (even though Offensive S is not expensive) that the 896 is still more worth it.

But I love the Offensive S. I do think it would be too fast for him. Add the rubbers you suggested and it would be a bad idea at any thickness. Those rubbers are simply to grippy and too spin sensitive and, even with 1.8 sponge, the sponge has too much catapult.

Look how often the ball is bouncing off his old worn rubbers without him having control.

The 896 with the Dawei rubbers which are way easier to control will be exponentially better for his development.

Sent from my NSA SpyPhone from Sector 13D-SR13Z74 Sub Level 29X Fort Meade, Maryland

says Thanks for the suggestion Splasher! I was going to try...
says Thanks for the suggestion Splasher! I was going to try...
Apr 2019
Phew, I though I was witnessing someone developing a bad case of EJ despite of having been playing bare feet in the basement with his buddy (I’d love to have a basement and a table!).
Good choice on the racked, a pro racket will not help you win, quite the contrary, I know something about it.. but coaching, video tutorials will, and also having a friend who wants to learn with you is great, prepare to see your carpet falling apart!
Good props for having the guts to show your playing skills, I actually think you might develop into a player with very good touch as you seem to enjoy controlling the ball rather than hitting it hard :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Read 1 reviews
Firstly, you should not call yourself as ‘noob’. You are just untrained. Although video guides are great. Coaching is better because of quick response to wrong movements etc.
Also after a short while you will start to beat your buddy then your progress will stuck. Training by coach then practicing with trained/better players will help more.
By the way, when i play at school with buddies which they are trained, i made blind buy by just reading comments at my first bat, then started coach, i didnt use that bat again. Then after coaching years, i buy another blade and become ej afterwards. However, you made a good choice as a beginner.
As you find that forum, i think you thrilled about table tennis not just beat your buddy. İ hope you will become better player.