Using smart watch as a coaching aid

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
I was wondering if there were any strategies or tips for using a smart watch as a coaching tool. As it is wearable during play, and offers lots of possibilities, I was curious if anyone has developed tips for use. Things I have thought of are:

• List of strategies and tactics that can be consulted quickly during a game.
  • Reminders set to go off periodically during a game about certain tactics or tips
  • Maybe even messages from a coach that can be read quickly between points.
  • Checklist of drills to be completed during a training session.
  • Voice memos of successful tactics in game

The convenience of having this on your wrist during play must have some potential. Some of these may be too distracting to be practical. Of course, fitness and energy expenditure can be recorded (Apple Watch even has a Table Tennis setting for a workout).

Any thoughts or ideas for use would be appreciated.

Thanks.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
I'm a minimalist. No watch, no hat, no bandana, no sweatband, and if it was more socially acceptable, no shirt. TT is best played focused, nothing but you, the table, and person on the other side, everything else is a distraction.

I think flicking through a smartwatch during play is irritating. Why read from a 1 inch screen when you can speak to someone in person? The time it takes to "locate" a memo on a smartwatch, you might as well go and pick up your phone, or better yet, an organized notebook.

IMO, hearing aids could help, preferably focused. But I'd imagine the CHO spitters would become even more irritating.

Slight yellow-tinged glasses can help, supposedly helps with contrast detection. I use yellow filters for my (B&W film) cameras, I find I focus faster.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Not necessarily a full sized watch, but if you can adapt a FitBit-type tool on the playing arm to record swing speeds/patterns for post-game analysis, that would definitely be useful.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
I'm a minimalist. No watch, no hat, no bandana, no sweatband, and if it was more socially acceptable, no shirt. TT is best played focused, nothing but you, the table, and person on the other side, everything else is a distraction.

I think flicking through a smartwatch during play is irritating. Why read from a 1 inch screen when you can speak to someone in person? The time it takes to "locate" a memo on a smartwatch, you might as well go and pick up your phone, or better yet, an organized notebook.

IMO, hearing aids could help, preferably focused. But I'd imagine the CHO spitters would become even more irritating.

Slight yellow-tinged glasses can help, supposedly helps with contrast detection. I use yellow filters for my (B&W film) cameras, I find I focus faster.

I have hearing aids that connect to my phone, and I have wondered if a coach could essentially "call" me and feed me advice between points. "Stop pushing the serve back", "Exploit your opponent's weak backhand", "move your feet". With the change that coaching can take place during the game, this would seem to be the ultimate advancement.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
I have hearing aids that connect to my phone, and I have wondered if a coach could essentially "call" me and feed me advice between points. "Stop pushing the serve back", "Exploit your opponent's weak backhand", "move your feet". With the change that coaching can take place during the game, this would seem to be the ultimate advancement.
Coaching can help a lot with tactics for a specific match and situation. With fundamentals, not so much. Between games and one timeout is plenty of input. More crosstalk during games will hurt more than help, imo. You really have to just play, while being aware in the background of what point patterns you are winning and losing on.

Reactions: Ilia Minkin
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
What actually prompted this question was watching NFL (American) football. Quarterbacks typically have a wristband that contains the list of possible plays, and a coach can communicate with them via headset in the helmet for up to (I think) 15 seconds before the play is started. I was speculating how such a practice might play out in table tennis. Maybe at the 6 point "towel off", a coach could give a few quick tidbits of advice. I know this is now allowed, and could be effective, but have not heard of anyone practicing this. The smartwatch would be a way to do this (via text message), or hearing aids, since table tennis players don't yet wear helmets. Would be better than hand signals, which is what I think have allegedly been used in the past.

The broader idea of how to use a smartwatch is a little different. It is just a cool tool that could have some application, maybe just a list of reminders or contain a list of drills or tactics to use.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
This made me realize why rockpaperscissors is the perfect way to decide serve order. It has the same quality of each player trying to think of what the other player thinks they think they are thinking as serve and receive does.

A catcher calling a baseball game is the same, and hand signals work for them.

Last edited: