Does softer sponges mean catapult effect is inevitable

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Hi All.

A question re softer sponges.

I don't want to use Chinese tacky rubbers as I prefer the euro style grippy non tacky ones.

I have decided I prefer sponges to be on the softer side, say around 40 degrees.
I prefer the extra dwell time and feeling for the ball.

What I have noticed is that the sponges I have tried over the years seem to have a springy / catapult effect that I don't really like.
Joola extra 325, Aurus sound, 5Q sound power update.

I am currently using Gewo Neoflex EFT 40 and 45 which don't have this springy feel to them but they really are very slow.
I don't want very fast rubbers as I value control more.

My question is are there any good rubbers with sponge hardness of around 40 degrees that have good spin and control qualities but are not particularly fast and do not have this springy reaction.
Also should I be avoiding Tensor rubbers if this is what causes the catapult effect.

Should also add that due to elbow and shoulder issues I need a light rubber.

Thank you.

Last edited:
says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
2691_P_1456731026478.JPG

Pore size is the clue.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Gewo Hype EL Pro 40. In fact it is spinnier than its siblings EL Pro 42.5 and 47.5.

Control and feel are superb. Spin is very high. Speed is medium.

Among all the soft rubbers I have played - T05 FX, Donic F3, R7 soft, Rasanter 43, H3-50 and Bluefire JP03 Gewo Hype EL Pro 40 is definitely the most spinny with the best feel.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
What rubber is that?
You didn't make it clear what rubber that is. The sponge looks like it would be light, maybe softer but very springy because of the size of the air bubbles. It is hard to make sponges with big air bubble and a consistent size as shown in the picture. It is the air that returns energy to the ball.
cache.php

Pore size is the clue.[/QUOTE]

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
What rubber is that?
You didn't make it clear what rubber that is. The sponge looks like it would be light, maybe softer but very springy because of the size of the air bubbles. It is hard to make sponges with big air bubble and a consistent size as shown in the picture. It is the air that returns energy to the ball.
cache.php

Pore size is the clue.
[/QUOTE]

Donic Acuda P3: http://www.guoqiuhui.net/Home/Goods/details/goods_id/2691

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Ventus Spin might be a decent choice. JG combi is something more than a gimmick. It retains some of that mushy feel traditional to Japanese rubber, yet doesn't have the pronounced hollow feel typical of German ESN Tensor. To my surprise it doesn't bottom out when I flipped over to play a few FH.

tsp-ventus.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Is the Rakza 7 soft a particularly springy rubber?
I think Rakza 7 soft max is relatively springy. It is easy to loop with because it has the right spin to speed properties. I have a video where it is easy to see the trajectory of many looped balls hit with Rakza 7 soft max.

I/we like Rakza 7 and Rakza 7 soft. They are good for looping back from the table. I wouldn't buy the thinner 1.8mm soft because it will probably "bottom out" when hitting hard. Get max or 2mm for the FH and 2mm or 1.8mm for the BH.

I just bought 2 Rakza 7 2mm black, 1 Rakza 7 1.8mm black, 1 Rakza 7 soft 2mm black. We pool our orders together to get the buy 4 for the price of 3 from tabletennis11. Yes, we like Rakza where I play.

I almost slipped in an extra order for the P3 shown above. The sponge looks interesting. Maybe next time.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Had thought of TSP Ventus Spin but think it's being phased out.

Would like to start using a rubber I can use and still buy for a few years.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I think Rakza 7 soft max is relatively springy. It is easy to loop with because it has the right spin to speed properties. I have a video where it is easy to see the trajectory of many looped balls hit with Rakza 7 soft max.

I/we like Rakza 7 and Rakza 7 soft. They are good for looping back from the table. I wouldn't buy the thinner 1.8mm soft because it will probably "bottom out" when hitting hard. Get max or 2mm for the FH and 2mm or 1.8mm for the BH.

I just bought 2 Rakza 7 2mm black, 1 Rakza 7 1.8mm black, 1 Rakza 7 soft 2mm black. We pool our orders together to get the buy 4 for the price of 3 from tabletennis11. Yes, we like Rakza where I play.

I almost slipped in an extra order for the P3 shown above. The sponge looks interesting. Maybe next time.

I tend to hit through and over the ball in a forward motion, rather than my arm starting low, to finishing at head height when I play both bh and fh shots. I mostly play topspin.

Because of this I believe a high throw angle suits me better although I haven't tried a rubber with low throw yet.

Is the 7 soft likely to be a good choice?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I tend to hit through and over the ball in a forward motion, rather than my arm starting low, to finishing at head height when I play both bh and fh shots. I mostly play topspin.
Hitting through the ball will not generate much top spin not matter what rubber you use. There must be a tangential component to the impact to generate spin.

Because of this I believe a high throw angle suits me better although I haven't tried a rubber with low throw yet.
Low "throw" rubbers require more of a brushing motion to get spin which is harder to achieve because the timing must be better.

Is the 7 soft likely to be a good choice?
Yes, but don't expect a lot of spin until you start your swing lower than the ball.

Jan 2018
Had thought of TSP Ventus Spin but think it's being phased out.

Would like to start using a rubber I can use and still buy for a few years.

Not when it comes to TSP. The Ventus series is the flagship, much like Fastarc by Nittaku. Japanese companies overall have a rather impressive track record of keeping their products in circulation for decades, compared to German brands.