Avalox AVX J- tech blade with spinlord gipfelsturm BH and Yasaka Rakza 7 FH

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Hi All,

I am an intermediate level player (27 years old) trying to move to the advanced level. I am playing with Mark v rubbers and Stiga ARC blade since 5 years - not continuously. I have started playing seriously and regularly again since 3 months and am planning to upgrade my bat as per my strengths and weaknesses.

My game - Little aggressive on my forehand. Mostly close to the table push and block before going for the kill shot- not much loop in that, very little topspin). In backhand, my game is 90% push and block and in very rare cases go for flat hits or hits with very little topspin. I had stopped hitting through my backhand due to shoulder pain, but I am now trying to be little offensive with my backhand too.

Strengths - I am somewhat consistent with blocks and pushes from both my backhand and forehand side and generally wait for my opponent to make an error or give any kind of room in my forehand.

Weekness- Decent Sidespin service return(both short and long) - If the serve in backhand, there is lot of problem in picking the spin. In forehand I can slow loop and try to flick. I am working on these.

What I am thinking to upgraded too -

Blade - Avalox AVX J - Tech
Rubber FH - Yasaka Rakza 7 max
Rubber BH - SpinLord Gipfelsturm 1.5 (confused between 1.5 and 1.8)

Could you please advice if these would suit my style. Also, please comment on the rubber width(1.5 or 1.8). I understand that shifting to pimples after playing 15 years with inverted rubbers is no easy task, but I think it will help me a little in returning great sidespin serves(I know there is no shortcut, but still want to try pimples). I tried with a long pimple - ox rubber and found it no fun and too difficult to play. But, maybe that was due to no sponge. I have heard that this particular rubber (spinlord gipfelsturm) is very different than other pimple rubbers. It would be really helpful if you could please provide your inputs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 1 reviews
If you haven't used any sort of pimples much, then Spinlord Gipfelsturm is probably not the best place to start, even Spinlord describe it as 'strange'. I have used both short and medium pimples for reasonable amounts of time and am back using short pimples again now, but I just can't get on with Gipfelsturm, which seems to require a strange mix of long and short pips technique for not that great results, maybe if I put more time into it, it might be better, but it just doesn't seem worth the effort.

That said Spinlord make some excellent rubbers, I really like the new Wyvern, if you are coming from inverted it is one of the easier short pips to adapt to. Keiler is a good medium pips and again probably easier to adapt to than Gipfelsturm.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
I should not have used “intermediate” and “advanced” words as these are very subjective. I am basically a mid level club player taking part in open tournaments. I am looking to take my game a notch higher and have started to look for coaches to train with.

The problem with the above recommendation is that the seller does not ship to India. Also, I have tried all kind of pips now and have decided to improve my backhand technique instead of opting for pimple on BH. My current setup is stiga allround classic with mark v2.0 fh and mark v 1.8 bh. As the rubbers are mostly worn out, I am looking for an upgrade.

Should I change my blade also and upgrade to something which is all+? If yes, then Please recommend some blades to upgrade to from stiga ARC. Regarding rubbers, Please suggest some combinations for a control oriented allround game. Also, I am wondering if I should go with the same rubber on both my FH and BH as it will not get confusing and out of sync. Does this make sense.

My budget is up to 150$. Also, some vintage rubbers and blades they say are not suited for new 40mm plastic ball. Is that a valid claim?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
I've investigated the Avalox J-Tech; it's made my Blades of Interest list. I love Rakza 7 and I think it should work on the J-Tech but in 2.0mm, not max. My experience with Rakza 7 is that it works great with fairly flexy blades that have a harder top layer but aren't very hard overall (like Yasaka Sweden Extra and DHS Hurricane 301). I know J-Tech is 5-ply and have read that it's pretty soft so I'm not sure how well Rakza 7 will play on it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Your posts kind of contradicts your stated experience, but I'm gonna give to the benefit of the doubt. 15years makes you much more experienced than me.

For an 2 sided block and smash game, a 7-ply blade and short pips would be better than long pips.

For more control oriented: Fextra 7, Clipper Wood, Samsonov Force Pro Blue, Avalox P700.

For good allround attacking: Clipper CR, Samsonov Force Pro Black, Old Adidas blades (Strike Wood 7/Challenge Speed).

For something a little thicker and stiffer/faster: Andro Timber 7 OFF/S or CS7 Tour, Clearfield.

2 sided short pips puts you at a disadvantage in serves and opening attacks, but experience trumps that.

Spectol is still the king of block and smash. Spinpips gives more margin for looping and serving. Maybe forehand spinpips red and backhand spectol red would work.