• no, it's not common

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • what are you talking about?

• i always thank, such a pleasure!

• Total voters
@jawien,

Is it sarcastic? Fill in your scenario more to clarify what you are trying to convey. In an online forum where we only read words and don't see facial expressions, body language, and etiquette a person exhibits.

My background: I grew up saying 'please', 'yes sir', 'yes ma'am', and 'thank you'. It was proper etiquette. Under my scenario, I'd think being thanked was proper, if the person was sincere.

Now, if the person came onto the table and was a jerk in the match, then yes, you'd be correct for it being sarcastic.

Again, this is a forum of words. It's sometimes hard to judge the context.

says Hi, I am a life-long table tennis enthusiast and...
says Hi, I am a life-long table tennis enthusiast and...
Mar 2014
A simple acknowledgement, i.e., raising your hand without saying anything (or quietly saying 'sorry'), strikes me as the best balance between acknowledging your good fortune (and the opponent's misfortune) without seeming snarky.

Reactions: GusShnaps and Baal
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
A simple acknowledgement, i.e., raising your hand without saying anything (or quietly saying 'sorry'), strikes me as the best balance between acknowledging your good fortune (and the opponent's misfortune) without seeming snarky.

Indeed. Recall that Rule 4 states: you must apologize for nets and edges. A small gesture with your non-playing hand will suffice, but only after the point is over.

The same general concept would apply to your opponent's service error should you feel the need to do something, which really you shouldn't. It is table tennis, a sport, and not a bunch of wannabe Wise Guys in Vegas playing poker. Act accordingly. Of course after the match is over you can rub it in.

Ba'al has spoken.

Last edited:
Reactions: GusShnaps
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
@jawien,

Is it sarcastic? Fill in your scenario more to clarify what you are trying to convey. In an online forum where we only read words and don't see facial expressions, body language, and etiquette a person exhibits.

My background: I grew up saying 'please', 'yes sir', 'yes ma'am', and 'thank you'. It was proper etiquette. Under my scenario, I'd think being thanked was proper, if the person was sincere.

Now, if the person came onto the table and was a jerk in the match, then yes, you'd be correct for it being sarcastic.

Again, this is a forum of words. It's sometimes hard to judge the context.

@Chuckjordan2, I grew up being thought the magic words too ... : )
For me in general, there are two things someone wants to express, when saying "thank you".
One would be to acknowledge his/her good fortune, thanks to other person's behavior, second (and foremost) to acknowledge someones good deeds and good will towards you.

The reason I think in our table tennis situation "thank you" being said after someone had made an error is not fully elegant is because it is lacking that second aspect. You are acknowledging your good fortune - ok, but at the same time you are unable to express your appreciation for someone's behavior, because it was never his/her intention to do so ... this is where the tricky sarcastic part might be present imho.

I'm not saying one can not be sincere and it needs to be acknowledged, but to me it does not explain the situation. In those situation I preferably let it go by...

Good proof that this is an ambiguous behavior, might be the world tour etiquette. There are players from all over the world participating, yet I have never heard anyone thanking for the service error ... And this is the most "distilled" table tennis etiquette I would say ...

Last edited: