Marvellous 12 2020

Wang Chuqin and Sun Yingsha is probably the only viable alternative but you know the problem with that already... I think the issue is if you want to replace Liu Shiwen, who do you replace her with? And since they can't have XX and Sun Yingsha play against XX and Liu Shiwen, they are in a bit of a bind. There aren't any other top lady lefties in the CNT after Ding Ning, so the massive dropoff there gives them another bind.

The bottom line is that LSW is playing 3 events I think.

You know, LGY could have bought himself a doubles niche if he didn't horribly fall apart under pressure.

I think they are going to have to go with LSW and XX for 2020, and put some actual effort into the youngsters going foward.

I think WCQ is probably a good starting point, since as you say, not a lot of lefties on the women's team. Of course, once ML and XX retire, WCQ MIGHT become the second men's singles option soon. So more headaches all around.

At some stage, I think that the CNT is either going to have to accept they are going to need to depend on younger players with less big occasion experience. That or accept that the world has caught up a bit, and they can't expect to just win all the Gold Medals anymore, even if they are still the favourites.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Major updates to Marvellous 12

1) Wang Chuqin continues to be suspended

CNT is making good on their word of suspending WCQ, so he is not getting a place on M12 even though he played in the preliminary stage (lol?). Apparently, the coaches set the (nearly impossible) condition that he could be included if he did not lose a single match for the initial trials but he did so... oops!

2) Revamped Singles Format

单打赛制方面,本次直通赛分为两个阶段:第一阶段采用7局4胜的单场淘汰赛制。第一阶段第一轮比赛,根据种子排名进行抽签,两两比拼决出6位晋级选手;第二轮比赛,6位选手依然根据种子排名再次进行抽签、两两比拼决出晋级第二阶段的3位选手。
第二阶段,从第一阶段脱颖而出的3位选手采用7局4胜的“血战到底”赛制。第二阶段第一轮比赛中,如果某位选手获得两连胜,则比赛结束,该名全胜的队员获得最终的冠军。若出现3人互有胜负的情况,则三人再增加一轮只打一局11分的比赛;再出现互有胜负,再增加一轮只打一局从5:5开局的比赛;还未出现全胜的选手,再增加一轮只打一局从8:8开局的比赛;仍未有全胜的选手,再增加一轮只打一局从10:10开局的比赛……直到决出获得全胜的选手。

There will be two stages. Stage 1 adopts the elimination set-up instead of round-robin as used in previous versions – i) best of 7 games and; ii) match-ups based on seedings (unsure how they are seeded but probably WR). This leaves 6 players by the first round and will repeat for another cycle so that only 3 players remain.

These three players will then proceed to stage 2 (round robin) which is the real challenge IMO. Clearly, the winner will emerge when one has won two matches in a best of 7 games format. However in the event that they each has one win and one loss (and this is where things get interesting), they will play for another round – this time for only 1 game per match. If there is no clear winner again (i.e. one win and one loss each), the third round will see them start from 5 points each (1 game per match and played till 11 points at least), 8 points each in the fourth round if it comes to that (1 game per match and played till 11 points at least) and 10 points each for the fifth round if it comes to that (1 game per match and played till 11 points at least) and so on until someone finally snags two wins.

3) List of Players

Men's Singles

Ma Long; Xu Xin; Fan Zhendong, Lin Gaoyuan, Liang Jingkun, Zhao Zihao, Xue Fei, Zhou Qihao, Zhou Kai, Xu Chenhao, Ma Te, Zhang Yudong

Women's Singles

Ding Ning; Liu Shiwen; Chen Meng; Wang Manyu; Sun Yingsha; Zhu Yuling; Chen Xingtong; Wang Yidi; He Zhuojia; Gu Yuting; Liu Fei; Zhang Rui

4) Mixed Doubles

混双比赛第一阶段,6对选手采用两两对战、7局4胜单场淘汰的赛事,3对选手脱颖而出。和单打一样,混双比赛第二阶段也采用“血战到底”的赛制。第二阶段第一轮3对选手相互对战,5局3胜,
如果某对选手获得两连胜,则比赛结束,该组合获得最终的冠军。
若出现3对选手互有胜负的情况,则3对选手再增加一轮只打一局11分的比赛;再出现互有胜负,再增加一轮只打一局从5:5开局的比赛;还未出现全胜的组合,再增加一轮只打一局从8:8开局的比赛;仍未有全胜的选手,再增加一轮只打一局从10:10开局的比赛………直到决出全胜的组合。

Two stages once more. Stage 1 is essentially the same as the Singles – i) elimination and; ii) best of 7 games but only for one cycle as that will already leave 3 pairs standing. Stage 2 again emulates the Singles, which is round-robin among the 3 pairs but played to the best of 5 games. The winning pair needs to seal two matches once again. In the event of a tie, the rumble resumes and each subsequent round will get shorter (1 game per match played to 11 points at least; 1 game per match played to 11 points at least but each pair starts with 5 points; 1 game per match played to 11 points at least but each pair starts with 8 points) until a winner emerges.

Pairings: 1) Xu Xin/Liu Shiwen; 2) Ma Long/Ding Ning; 3) Fan Zhendong/Gu Yuting; 4) Lin Gaoyuan/Wang Manyu; 5) Liang Jingkun/Chen Meng; 6) Yu Ziyang/Sun Yingsha

Last edited:
Hmm, LGY/WMY is an interesting pairing.

I would have liked to see LGY/CM. As two players who are technically very strong, but just seem to be out of singles contention for one reason or another. It would have been nice to see them work out as an XD pair so they can be useful front line playes. To 'put to use' their wasted talent so to speak,

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Hmm, LGY/WMY is an interesting pairing.

I would have liked to see LGY/CM. As two players who are technically very strong, but just seem to be out of singles contention for one reason or another. It would have been nice to see them work out as an XD pair so they can be useful front line playes. To 'put to use' their wasted talent so to speak,
yeah cm getting a Mixed doubles partner will be interesting, LGY and WMY have played together a couple of times, they've probably won once on the world tour or came second, But they've always been second fiddle to WCQ/SYS and they've lost to them in at least two finals, Gaoyuan actually isn't too bad but Manyu can be really slack sometimes, The WCQ/ Shasha pair is the CNT's future unless well they're broken up or some other pair rises, they've won a couple of strong tournaments so I think with more practice they'll be fine,
FZD and GYT will be interesting lol, two hard hitting players but somewhat lacking on control although Fan is working on that, It'd be nice to see how they turn out, GYT has won a couple of World tour events playing Women Doubles so I think even if it's looking obvious that she's not one for singles, maybe they'll find a place for her in doubles, if she and FZD gels though they'll really be a thrill to watch especially in rallies lol

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Draw for XD will only be done on 1st January, the date of the competition. Perhaps to leave less time for the pairs to prepare against their opponents? Some wild speculations on the Chinese web about XX/SYS as the possible replacement for China's Olympics XD entry since the deadline for confirming XX/LSW falls on the last day of M12 which is 4 Jan – that of course means XX/SYS will have to go for the qualification tournament next year if this proves to be true.

Singles match-ups for 2nd January 2020 were drawn up earlier today.

1300h
T1: Fan Zhendong VS Zhang Yudong [Easy?]
T2: Chen Xingtong VS He Zhuojia [Easy?]

1400h
T1: Sun Yingsha VS Gu Yuting [Easy?]
T2: Zhao Zihao VS Zhou Qihao [Mid?]

1500h
T1: Ding Ning VS Zhang Rui [Mid?]
T2: Lin Gaoyuan VS Ma Te [Mid?]

1900h
T1: Ma Long VS Xue Fei [Easy?]
T2: Zhu Yuling VS Qian Tianyi [Diff?]

2000h
T1: Chen Meng VS Liu Fei [Mid?]
T2: Liang Jingkun VS Zhou Kai [Mid?]

2100h
T1: Xu Xin VS Xu Chenhao [Easy?]
T2: Wang Manyu VS Wang Yidi [Diff?]

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
In case anyone is interested in some heavily photoshopped posters for M12.

330e0cf3d7ca7bcb7c948756a9096b63f724a8d8.jpg 02166d224f4a20a4366a7abe87529822720ed057.jpg

According to some unverified sources, the XD draw might be as follows (to be confirmed tomorrow):

XX/SYS vs ML/DN
FZD/GYT vs LGY/WMY
LJK/CM vs YZY/ZYL

OFFICIAL DRAW (1 Jan 2020)

LGY/WMY vs ML/DN
LJK/CM vs XX/SYS
FZD/GYT vs YZY/ZYL

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Ml/dn 4-0 lgy/wmy