Marvellous 12 2020

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
its now very reasonable to expect XX + SYS in XD in Tokyo Olympics.

Well, we will know in a few days' time. I heard that each NOC would need to confirm the extant XD qualifications (from WTGF) by 4 Jan?

Then again, it's difficult to rebuff your suggestion given how things played out during M12 even though XX/SYS is still a relatively raw team (winning only one Open and their teammates today who rarely play together). Firstly, it was odd for SYS to replace LSW when the former already had a partner (Yu Ziyang) assigned and they have been training together from the start of the Winter camp. Logically, ZYL should partner with XX directly given the short notice since both of them did pair during Japan Open (and won) so there is a certain degree of familiarity between them. This left YZY and ZYL a mere two days to practise together, which clearly meant they were just there to fill the numbers and was very visible in the match earlier today. Secondly, Ma Lin (who has been the prime XD coach since 2019) was assigned to XX/SYS, even in the match against LJK/CM when he is CM's coach. This almost never happens in M12, for a coach to be instructing someone else against his/her own player unless both players on court are under said coach's team. Even so, s/he will either sit out (LSW vs CM 2017 when they were both under Liu Zhiqiang) or coach the more senior player (Huang Haicheng instructed CM rather than SYS in last year's rendition when the two fought). All signs point towards (extensive) grooming of SYS. But who knows, the CNT loves to smokescreen.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Well seems FZD/GYT pair didn't do too badly, again for the future can be a potentially good pair even if it's only for mixed doubles since GYT will likely not make team's events since the team is stacked

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 4.57.10 pm.jpg

Day 2 Session 1 (Elimination)

Fan Zhendong 4-0 Zhang Yudong
Chen Xingtong 4-1 He Zhuojia
Zhao Zihao 1-4 Zhou Qihao
Sun Yingsha 4-1 Gu Yuting
Lin Gaoyuan 4-0 Ma Te
Ding Ning 4-0 Zhang Rui

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Not that far. One good point is he could reach these deep forehand balls he couldn't few weeks ago. He is almost as fit as during Budapest WTTC.
Plus Xue Fei is among the best CNT players and played pretty well here, didn't he?
XF made a lot of mistakes in last set. Looked like he was in control but some shots he should make easily he missed.
I wouldn't estimate him as CNT top player. It will be better to discuss after he faces FZD or XX or LGY.
ML couldn't keep with his BH and mostly was punching back. Anyway his ability of reading spin and playing short game is still there and it is sufficient to win in tight matches with weaker opponents.
We will see how it goes later but I am not that confident about his form now.

Reactions: Luke James
Well seems FZD/GYT pair didn't do too badly, again for the future can be a potentially good pair even if it's only for mixed doubles since GYT will likely not make team's events since the team is stacked

I just watched FZD/GYT vs XX/SYS and FZD/GYT vs ML/DN, I get the feeling that GYT is actually really good at XD. She's very mobile, comfortable playing against the power of male players, and capable of generating quite a lot of power herself. May need to clean up her touch play a bit.

FZD on the other hand, while often spectacular, is generally too error prone.

I think it might be worth finding GYT a more stable XD partner as a prospect for when XX/LSW retire, as she's very good at XD, a lefty on the women's team, and nowhere near contention for much singles opportunites. FZD, maybe it's time for CNT to concede he's just not THAT good at doubles and let him concentrate on singles.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Look at this new ZYL, schooling DN with her FHs for three sets straight.