Rozena, Tenergy 05fx, Tenergy 64

Pie

This user has no status.

Pie

This user has no status.
Feb 2019
Hi everyone here,

I am seeking a backhand rubber. Here my story goes:
1. I was using Sriver El 1.9mm for few months on backhand. It was OK in terms of speed and spin.
2. Then I switched to Rozena 1.7mm. I have been on Rozena for about 3-4 months since then. I have been receiving regular coaching for about 1 month already (4-6h/week). My forehand rubber is Rakza 7 1.8mm; and I really like it.

Problem: In coaching sessions, on my backhand, I practice on how to loop backspin balls and do banana flicks. However, I am finding my paddle head-heavy because I am using Butterfly Kenta, which has a small handle. With head-heavy paddle, it is a bit hard to have a fast racket speed to consistently loop backspin balls and do banana flicks.

Question: Rozena is as heavy as Tenergy 05. Therefore, I am doubting if I should try Tenergy 05-fx (1.7mm) or Tenergy 64 (1.7mm), so that I reduce my paddle's weight while maintaining/increasing spin and/or speed. For additional info, my backhand punching is deadly; but I struggle sometimes especially when opponents do spinny backhand serves. Do you have any comments? Thank you!

Oh by the way, please don't suggest other rubbers as I am only interested in Rozena 1.7 or T05-fx 1.7 or T64 1.7 for my backhand.

How long do you play table tennis?
To be honest:Every time i read something about "This and that is to head-heavy and I'm getting fatigued to fast" I really don't get it. Just train more, train intelligent, train your muscles and cope wiith it. Table tennis is sport so you have to overcome some physical limitations to get better.

Pie

This user has no status.

Pie

This user has no status.
Feb 2019
I have been playing on and off for more than one year already. I specifically want a light paddle, which allows me to swing faster (ideal for backhand loops and banana flicks) and also to recover faster for the next shot.

Last edited:
I have been playing on and off for more than one year already. I specifically want a light paddle, which allows me to swing faster and also to recover faster for the next shot.
After one year, I would never suggest to even play Rozena.
Swing faster und recover faster will not be solved with changes in material.
Do something like this:
https://youtu.be/dJlFmxiL11s
or this
https://youtu.be/erKJOb51bCI
and this
https://youtu.be/5DMHawHxndU
and of course a lot of rope skipping

Reactions: Nemesis
This user has no status.
I don't even understand this thread. You aren't gonna achieve anything switching your rubber lol. Stick with Rozena and train more.

Also, you need to know that head heavy blade will feel heavier for most people compared to a balanced blade. You can have people hold a 190g head heavy blade and 90% of them will tell you it feels heavier than a 195g well-balanced blade. This is why many people in their quest to seek lighter set-up end up with a rather heavy feeling set-up.

Pie

This user has no status.

Pie

This user has no status.
Feb 2019
I just tried my old Sriver El few days ago. However, most of my shots went to the net; and I lost to my opponents due to unforced errors on my backhand with Sriver EL. Then I immediately came back to Rozena 1.7; and I no longer have such unforced errors. I won't downgrade to anything slower than Rozen again. This time, I am seriously considering T05-fx 1.7mm or T64 1.7mm. Do you have any information regarding their weights? Heavier than Rozena 1.7? or similar?

Pie

This user has no status.

Pie

This user has no status.
Feb 2019
Yes, that's why I want to find a lighter rubber for my backhand. With a lighter rubber, I am hoping the paddle will be well-balanced. Do you know the weights of T05-fx 1.7 and T64 1.7? Are they heavier than Rozena?

I just tried my old Sriver El few days ago. However, most of my shots went to the net; and I lost to my opponents due to unforced errors on my backhand with Sriver EL. Then I immediately came back to Rozena 1.7; and I no longer have such unforced errors. I won't downgrade to anything slower than Rozen again.
This is a clear sign for wrong technique and/or lacking of touch.
Proper technique is called proper technique because it works independently from the used material. Give a pro player a bat like Stiga Allround Classic with both sides Yasaka Mark V and he can play every shot flawlessly after a short period of time for accomodating to the new material.
And this shows again why Rozena and something like a Kenta ALC(!!!) for somebody who is playing for one year can be detrimental to the progress of getting better and developing his touch and technique.

Last edited:

Pie

This user has no status.

Pie

This user has no status.
Feb 2019
Actually, the most balanced set-up for my was Sriver EL 1.9 + Mark V 1.8. It was not head-heavy at all. However, these 2 rubbers no longer work for me as they are simply too slow. I am too used to the speed of Rozena and Rakza 7. My coach who was once the coach of the national team said that "with proper coaching, a fast equipment is not a problem". Some of his students have started with Dignics 05, and they are progressing really quickly. So I am not worried about technique at all. Right now, I only want to reduce the weight of my backhand rubber to have a balanced set-up with better/similar speed/spin compared to Rozena.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I use Rozena 2.1mm on my backhand and tenergy 05 on my forehand on my blade tb Alc. I think that your issue is not a problem of weight. We can suppose that your blade has 88g of weight. My timo boll ALC is 85g but my rozena is 2.1mm so its weight is much than your rubber. Tenergy05 uncut is 69grams, however rakza7 weight is less than my tenergy05. Your racket is Well balanced. With my equipment that is similar to your in terms of weight have not any problem. So train, train and train and add some exercise for streghten muscles :)

Last edited:

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
+1 adding a very small weight to the handle changes the balance a lot.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Hi,

T64 is is ~3g lighter than T05, never tried FX, but I would guess it would be just as light if not lighter than T64. This is comparing the max versions. With 1.7-1.9, the difference might be 2g most...

As you can see, you won't get much help from changing a rubber, not to mention at 1.7, your rubbers are already lighter than what most people use. A lighter blade will make a much bigger difference. But then again, the Kenta should be in the 85-90g range, which is not heavy (if you want to compare, my favorite blade is 113g).

The wording used by the previous posters may not be inspiring, but if you feel too heavy, it really is you and not your gear, just get used to them, a tighter grip will make everything feel easier to swing (but not too tight, and definitely don't tighten your wrist).

Der Echte mentioned counter-balancing as well. This will make you blade heavier, but better leverage (impression of easier to swing). Tennis lead tape wrapped around the end of the handle will do wonders (look for Aruna Quadri racket photos), as does hot gluing some coins there.

Off topic, but before you start on a quest for a lighter blade, know that light blades are flimsy (I would rather chew on 70g blade than be forced to play with one).

Last edited:
Reactions: Der_Echte
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Low 70s blades are so damn weak it is like bringing a 9mm to a tank fight. Elite Offensive players crave mostly the heaviest blades available (or at least in a real heavy range by normal players' standards) for a reason... they are solid, steady under high impact, and give performance/feel. That is good stuff.

Changing rubbers just because of weight issue is the worst thing.
You must stick to the rubbers that suit your game.
If the blade is not ballanced as you need, try to ballance it.
Or just order a lighter piece if available.
Or change the blade with a similar model, but lighter.

You say that you feel the handle to be shorter, and thats bad. A "shorter" handle means you would not feel comfortable to loose and change the grip and that will affect your game.

So I would prefer to change the blade, not the rubbers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
I don't recommend this. But if you are seriously struggling, take one of those school supply circle drawing tools (sorry, I'm too old to remember the correct name) and trace 2-3mm around the blade surface. Then sand it down with some 80 grit sandpaper (15 minutes work max). That should shave off another 4-5 grams off the blade and maybe 3-4 grams off the total rubber weight.

Eat more spinach.

Edit: 30 minutes work on your composite, Graphite and Kevlar are a pain in the @$$ to shave off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dream2K